MitsuStyle

MitsuStyle (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/index.php)
-   Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   SMIM Showdown! Lets figure this out once and for all! (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21529)

TkrPerformance 12-03-2008 11:35 AM

Re: SMIM Showdown! Lets figure this out once and for all!

as soon as I stop driving it for the winter I can take it off

turbotalon1g 12-03-2008 05:00 PM

Mark who makes that one? It looks like an Ebay one.

iroc_g 12-03-2008 05:24 PM

Just wondering if anybody had an idea when they were going to be able to drop off their manifolds? Im not pushing, just trying to plan out the rest of my week.

TkrPerformance 12-03-2008 06:42 PM

I did buy it off ebay for less than they wanted on there web site. It came from japan there is not many that will fit a evo I-III
It is a copy of the cast hks manifold. This one is also fully cast alum. bottom 1/2 is cast with v-stacks in it and the top 1/2 is cast then just welded together you have your choice of tb flange.

turbotalon1g 12-03-2008 07:29 PM

Nice, I was looking into that.

TkrPerformance 12-03-2008 07:35 PM

there is plenty of alum to port it out to a 1g head also. If I can pick up a 2nd one for the same price I paid I would and use it for the spyder. they are made to order on the t.b. flange mitsu and q45 are free of charge. others cost for the flange it self

turbotalon1g 12-03-2008 08:05 PM

^Well get it tested if the price is right I am down to try it out and get some more power.

Jakey 12-03-2008 08:33 PM

Call FFWD, they are supposed to be doing the exact same research.

iroc_g 12-03-2008 09:58 PM

Yes, ffwd has been "doing" this for over 6 months now. What I am trying to do is quick and simple. The flow bench is going to tell most of the story with all these different manifolds. And if it does follow up with dyno testing, even better.

All I know is that we have a chance to do somthing that nobody has been able to do AND finish with any type of answers. I want to make sure my car gets the best manifold available.

Halon 12-03-2008 10:02 PM

I would let you know when mine is coming, but neither of the 2 people who are saying they'd bring it to you have contacted me. Sorry.

Pushit2.0 12-04-2008 12:14 AM

I am working on making more of the design I had made for my car. Later on I found out it looks just like the AMS VSR but with a smaller plenum. I will PM you when I have the first one done, should be this weekend. It will be a 6bolt head flange and 1g TB flange.

~John

95talonracer 12-04-2008 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blageo23 (Post 267279)
If someone could pick my manifold up too that would be great. Its sitting at primo performance.

Ill grab yours too. Im thinking sometime friday ill run mine, Halon's and blageos down. Halon PM me your number.

iroc_g 12-04-2008 10:45 AM

you the man!

iroc_g 12-05-2008 04:02 PM

To any of you guys that are going to drop off manifolds this weekend. I am completely tied up saturday. Were having like 60 people over at the house for dinner, and apareantly, I have to clean up the garage for a place for people to smoke.

So, if you would like to drop off, feel free to leave it at ProKART Burnsville. I will leave instructions with my staff to put them in my office so they are safe. Also, if you need to call me, PM me and I will get you my cell number!

Pushit2.0 12-05-2008 04:12 PM

I run the monday night league with MNautox, I will just bring it this monday and drop it off.

~John

iroc_g 12-05-2008 05:38 PM

Awesome, ill put you on the list! Ill just call it the Pushit SMIM for now!!!

turbotalon1g 12-05-2008 06:06 PM

JDM john SMIM would be better.

Swifty1638 12-05-2008 06:08 PM

I should have my new replacement manifold here within the next week. It'll be interesting to see how off it is or isn't. I want it fixed though. let me know when you get that beyond redline one in. Ever have luck with the AMS f1?

-A. Swift

Pushit2.0 12-06-2008 11:25 AM

LSE manifold would work fine also.

Pushit2.0 12-08-2008 04:11 PM

Just my luck, I ran out of welding gas Sunday. So I was unable to finish the manifold. But I just exchanged my cylinder so I should have it your way later this week.

~John

iroc_g 12-08-2008 08:29 PM

That's fine, nobody has gotten theirs to me yet either.

I have some errands to run tomarrow afternoon in north Minneapolis. I could pick up a intake or two if anybody is ready and reasonably close to their. Just let me know.

Halon 12-14-2008 01:46 PM

95talonracer picked mine up on Friday. Just want to find out if you received it, and when you'll be finished with it.

Andrew7dg 12-14-2008 02:14 PM

I have been reading up on SMIM or intake manifold designs and now really interested in this.

I was wondering how you are testing the manifolds for air flow? Like are you running a couple of different types of airflow tests on them or just the general flow out of the manifold?

or did I miss a page where you explained this somewhere?

Super Bleeder!! 12-14-2008 02:32 PM

oh im sure he'll be using some formula 1 spreadsheets to find the optimal runner lengths using the Helmholtz resonance equations ;)

Shotgun! 12-15-2008 01:43 AM

Lolz

Pushit2.0 12-15-2008 03:36 PM

I will have 1 for you tonight, and another later this week. Do you want a stock 1g manifold?

~John

Halon 12-15-2008 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halon (Post 268500)
95talonracer picked mine up on Friday. Just want to find out if you received it, and when you'll be finished with it.

Someone please answer my question so I know that my manifold isn't on ebay right now.

iroc_g 12-15-2008 11:13 PM

Sorry for no reply, I left my phone at work the other night!

I am doing the testing tomarrow afternoon, so I have planned on dropping off the next night, as I have to work during the day. If anybody needs it back Tuesday night, please let me know.

As far as how the testing will be done, I am simply going to use a flow bench, and test each runner on each manifold. This will show how evenly distributed the airflow is, as well as which manifold will support more power.

I also hope to document runner length, plenum volume, and whatever other design differences may impact performance.

I will hopefully post results Tuesday night, but I might hold off a day to put it in a PDF or somthing easily reposted else where.

Thanks again for the support!

95talonracer 12-15-2008 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halon (Post 268724)
Someone please answer my question so I know that my manifold isn't on ebay right now.

I dropped them off and he has mine, yours, and Blageo's which is whos I brought down last Friday. I was going to ebay it but wanted to see whos was better first and post up the results with the ebay ad so the better one sold for more $$$$ ha just messing with ya!

blageo23 12-16-2008 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halon (Post 268724)

Quote:

Originally Posted by 95talonracer (Post 268797)
I dropped them off and he has mine, yours, and Blageo's which is whos I brought down last Friday. I was going to ebay it but wanted to see whos was better first and post up the results with the ebay ad so the better one sold for more $$$$ ha just messing with ya!

You better start bidding like I am!

iroc_g 12-16-2008 03:13 PM

Come on now, if I was going to sell these, it wouldn't be on eBay, thats too easy to track back to me!

OK... I got the 4 manifolds tested that I have so far. I'm going to put all the data together tonight, and try to make it easy to understand, and hopefully a small enough file that it can get reposted elsewhere. I'm going to include a few pics of each manifold as well, just to cover all the bases.

As far as returning the manifolds, since the blageo, talonracer, and Halon's came together, is there a chance I can drop them to the same place? Would make my life easier, and I get the impression that the three of you know eachother!

95talonracer 12-16-2008 04:26 PM

You can drop them off at my place or Halon is in the middle of all of us so that works if it is ok with him too.

turbotalon1g 12-16-2008 06:32 PM

Or I live in blaine too.

Halon 12-16-2008 08:11 PM

Only issue I see with dropping them off at my house is that I will be leaving for the weekend on Thursday night, returning Monday morning. So if they are all at my house, and someone needs theirs back ASAP, then they'd have to break into my house.

Brownman (Aaron for those who don't know) is right next to me, so he'd be a good middle man as well. I just know that my schedule is pretty much swamped until Monday afternoo

turbotalon1g 12-16-2008 08:56 PM

Word, I have no clue what my schedule is, but if the weather stays like this I should be home working on the car, hopefully installing a sweet 16g that I am getting from munchgsx.

Also its the first weekend since school is done, so I am not sure what I will be doing with myself.

Swifty1638 12-16-2008 11:39 PM

greg, I got my new manifold already. it's been sitting here on the ground. I polished it, and got a bracket for the tb..it's still sitting here. I've moved into that house in savage now, so I'm closer. The talon is still at my other house, but i'll be moving it this weekend. I can try and get you the manifold then.

-A. Swift

95talonracer 12-17-2008 12:21 AM

I have heard some info on the results and cant wait to see them posted here!

iroc_g 12-17-2008 12:22 AM

awesome. I'll text ya and well work out the details.

Swifty1638 12-17-2008 01:16 AM

sounds good.

-A. Swift

iroc_g 12-17-2008 05:24 PM

OK guys. Im having technical difficulties with the computer and the internet getting along with eachother, among other things. Im working to get this stuff fixed, and hopefully up before the weekend.