MitsuStyle

MitsuStyle (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/index.php)
-   Project Talk (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   6 cylinders & 2 turbos, for now (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27049)

95talonracer 09-26-2010 09:56 PM

Re: 6 cylinders & 2 turbos, for now

I plan on doing everything to this thing.

Halon 09-26-2010 10:08 PM

No problem dude, thanks for the foodz. God that wiring harness was a pyle. Cant wait until the day we're bitching about trying to get that pig back in!!

95talonracer 09-26-2010 10:20 PM

Ha and BTW I looked into deleting the ABS on this and they say its an absolute NO NO! no one ever does it and they say the car is built around having this more advanced verson of ABS then a normal setup like in most cars.

Kevin 1G Drummer 09-27-2010 09:01 PM

Go Toyota and their over-elaborate wiring and electronic systems.

95talonracer 11-09-2010 09:30 PM

Well some updates here. The motor was out and taken apart from the tranny and all of the other goodies off of it so it was a bare long block. I brought it into MAP for it to be hot tanked, machined, and assembled. The first thing that MAPerformance is doing to it is tearing it all apart which I think is already done. Getting it ready for the machining and assembly of the short block is next on the list. Some more decisions as far as parts go and a little more $ and Ill be able to start into the head.

The block will be built with Crower rods. It will also have CP custom ordered 9.5:1 compression pistons, ARP main studs, and all ACL race main and rod bearings as well as thrust washers all supplied by MAPerformance. They are great to deal with when trying to order custom parts like I did with my CP pistons.

I am trying to figure out when my choice of a 6765 journal bearing Precision turbo will spool on my setup so I can figure out the best torque converter for the street and strip where I do not have to use n02 to spool.

Halon 11-09-2010 09:35 PM

Sweet man. Nice turbo choice, should make for a pretty mean street/strip setup!

Super Bleeder!! 11-09-2010 09:50 PM

Are you kidding? A built 2jz for a teeny tiny 67mm??? Why bother o_0

95talonracer 11-09-2010 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Super Bleeder!! (Post 365354)
Are you kidding? A built 2jz for a teeny tiny 67mm??? Why bother o_0

You will see.

A project car is not always about how much power you can make but how much of a power band you have at a good power number. Ask Halon about that one. My eclipse may not have the most power but it has a DAM nice power band which equals Powerband > Total Power

scheides 11-09-2010 10:34 PM

Sounds badass!

awd-drifter 11-09-2010 10:46 PM

Sounds like deadly setup for the roads here in minnesota! really can't wait to see this car in person man. Power band > Total power indeed!! :D :D

Super Bleeder!! 11-09-2010 11:02 PM

Thats great that you want a good powerband, but powerbands dont dictate needing a built motor, for the most part. Just seems like money you could have invested in other parts of the build.

Oh well, just my opinion. Carry on.

Halon 11-09-2010 11:32 PM

I like the higher compression choice. Higher compression = more off boost torque. Higher compression also = more power at less boost. Both of those = slightly widened power band.

Does higher compression also induce quicker spool? I've heard both sides, some say yes (reasoning being duh of course), and some say no (reason being the stroke is still the same, and the same volume of air is being moved). Anyone with some real world experience have any feedback on that?

As for whether or not the money could be spent wiser elsewhere, in the end I suppose that depends on the individuals viewpoint, and any exisiting conditions. If you know Kerry, he seems to like to overbuild things. The motor was higher milage and starting to burn some oil, so it was coming out anyway. So building it now was more a convenience factor as well.

To each their own I say :)

niterydr 11-10-2010 09:43 AM

67mm powerband...drool....

turbotalon1g 11-10-2010 09:45 AM

^Busch nuts and I think STM did testing with a 10:1 motor vs stock in teh evos and i think a 8.5:1 and 10.1:1 motor and there was no difference in spool but the off boost power was there, I believe mullen of mullen tuning reported the same thing since he just got a 10.1:1 motor.

Either way, i love the off boost torque of higher comp. motors esp. in DSMs.
I think Joe's opinion is that well a 2JZ could easily handle the power of a 6765 on the stock bottom end, why I'm sure he has seen it first hand, a local "supra shaun" made 750+ i believe at DB and his motor is basically cams and headstuds I think, i think he made 825 on a setup as well, not sure if that is old or new.

I know I got to see a ton of stock bottom end supras in TX running around with 67mm setups or bigger on stock bottom ends all day.
But if you got the $$$ and you want to, why not? I'm sure you will more confident about it once its built.

Good luck, I can't wait to see this done, let me know if you want a hand with reassembly.

Halon 11-10-2010 09:53 AM

Yeah that makes the most sense to me. Higher compression would not increase spool, in the end you are still pushing that same amount of air.

But it would move the power band a little bit left due to the added off-boost torque and the fact that you will make more power at less boost.

I wonder what those new billet 67's are capable of supporting power-wise. I'd guess maybe 900 if you maxed the sucker out maybe??

tpunx99GSX 11-10-2010 09:57 AM

Were you driving around maple grove the other day? I think i saw you.

goodhart 11-10-2010 10:05 AM

^^ LOL, It's been sitting with no engine for over a month now Tom.

turbotalon1g 11-10-2010 10:09 AM

If I were to guess, I bet shane could answer that with an accurate answer, but I think they are the best turbo for the street on a supra, you won't get beat by too much if any.

If i had to guess, I'd say close 850 for sure. The kid i met in SA, made 700 on his and he was at about 27-28ish psi

Shane@DBPerformance 11-10-2010 11:00 AM

Yea, compression does not increase spoolup. It can make more power at say 5psi or boost during spoolup though, to kinda make it seem like it's spooling fast, if you don't have boost on the dyno chart. E85 makes turbos spool faster. With an auto though, powerband is different, if you set up the torque converter correctly it will avoid lag from a roll and instantly go right to where your turbo spools anyways. You be driving down the road at 3000 RPMs normally, then floor it and and it will instantly flash to 5000 or whatever RPMs and the turbo is spooled. And then it stays spooled through the gears. It also goes through the RPMs differently than a manual. A dyno chart for an auto car with a properly setup convertor with RPM on the bottom might look like it has no powerband, but then when you look at it vs MPH you realize that it just spends a long time barely moving through the RPMs, but it is going through a big mph range. The billet 67 is a great turbo though on anything from Hondas to Mustangs.

I hope it will be running on E85 with that compression. The 2JZ are fairly knock prone with their 8.5:1 compression on pump gas.

95talonracer 11-10-2010 11:57 AM

It will definitely be on e85 and I guess it will be in Shanes hands to see what this thing will make for power. Shane have you tuned with proefi before? Looks to be the kick ass tuning setup for these things.

Yes I built the motor because it was higher miles, smoked a bit, and it had oil leaking issues. I am not going to skip on anything on this car and don't have to worry about saving money here to spend there because it is a project that will be at least a year or more until it's done so I have time.