MitsuStyle

MitsuStyle (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/index.php)
-   Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Help! (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729)

jpretz 12-07-2003 01:30 AM

Hey guys! Somehow my car got a lil :censored: up! I, personally, don't know whats wrong with it but Dane Peterson thinks its a lifter tick. I was wondering if yoyu could help me diagnose it. I know its hard without hearing it but here it goes. I was drving and my engine got real loud and i stoped at the light and you could hear it tick. It sounded like the fan was hitting something. Then it gets shakey when i accelerate a lot. It seems sluggish. @ idle it will drop the RPMs form like 1 down to 1/2 or less and stalled a coupple of times. So i don't know. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I was also wondering where to take it, and i was thinking Mike/ QPR if you are open. I would also like to see if i could get a quote on something. Once again... thanks in advance!

Jayme :headache: :fworld: :rant:

Iceman 12-07-2003 03:06 AM

You hear a clicking noise? I would have to agree on the lifter ticking.. by what you have said. You could try some of that lifter cleaning stuff... for cheap resultes :)

Since i can't hear it its hard to say but you know the injectors click to right?

Matt D. 12-07-2003 03:06 AM

While sitting in your car you can hardly hear lifter tick, it's almost the same volume as the injectors. Since you metioned that it's sluggish, lower RPMs at idle and shakey during acceleration it sounds like you spun a bearing. Your description is almost exactly what a spun bearing really sounds like. The only way to find out is to drop the oil pain and take a peek.

Have you had any problems with oil leaks or low oil pressure ever?

niterydr 12-07-2003 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Matt D.@Dec 7 2003, 03:06 AM
While sitting in your car you can hardly hear lifter tick, it's almost the same volume as the injectors. Since you metioned that it's sluggish, lower RPMs at idle and shakey during acceleration it sounds like you spun a bearing. Your description is almost exactly what a spun bearing really sounds like. The only way to find out is to drop the oil pain and take a peek.

Have you had any problems with oil leaks or low oil pressure ever?

matt is correct, thats exactly what happened to the car he owns, it got sluggesh, stalled, ran again, and seized less than 1 mile later, verdict spun rod bearing and scorched cylinder walls. We are open for business and would be happy to take a look at your car.
Give the office a call tommorrow after 11am.
Another option is a broken balance shaft belt, but that wouldn't usually make it stall really bad, and that usually happens after a high rev/miss shift, or due to mileage.
We can do some diagnostic work for you.

MATCHBX 12-07-2003 10:53 AM

It could also be a combination of a few things. Sometimes the tick can get loud enough to hear while sitting in the car. Mine has from time to time. It could be tick, along with a broken balance shaft belt, along with a BISS adjustment screw that's backed out a little.

I would agree though that it could be a spun bearing. But like you said, you would see a huge drop in oil pressure if that's the case.

I know one thing that made my car run like shit was when one of the plug wires would pop off of the coilpack. It had just enough spark to run but barely. It shook like hell under acceleration and it died at idle.

Just a few other things to check before hitting your head against the brick wall.

cudvig 12-07-2003 11:44 AM

god what shitty luck we had last night huh jayme, I need a new clutch and well maybe its good for you, you need a new car, buy a new one. Screw that NT crap.

jpretz 12-07-2003 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by niterydr@Dec 7 2003, 03:13 AM
matt is correct, thats exactly what happened to the car he owns, it got sluggesh, stalled, ran again, and seized less than 1 mile later
seized?? Oh :censored: ! So it woudn't be safe to drive down to St. Paul 2 QPR! I don't know... anyone wanna buy?! :toast:

No history of low oil press. or leaking oil.
Where can i get lifter cleaning stuff?
It only stalled once but it will get that low that it seems like it is about to stall.

A//// Guy 12-07-2003 12:35 PM

Lifter tick ussually doesnt just start ticking with a warm engine... Ussually only when cold and it wont make your car stall or really sluggish unless the knock sensor picks it up on a turbo car... I would think the NT cars dont have knock sensors... so I would assume its something serious.... or maybe simple like spark plug wires..?

jpretz 12-07-2003 12:54 PM

Well i'm gonna have to shut her down for a while till i can figure it out. My dad thinks its something with the valves. Shit! Life Sux! Anyone have a 1g AWD for sale? :) Around $3000.

A//// Guy 12-07-2003 01:10 PM

Nice car.

Matt D. 12-07-2003 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by awd1dr@Dec 7 2003, 10:53 AM
I would agree though that it could be a spun bearing. But like you said, you would see a huge drop in oil pressure if that's the case.
Please explain. A spun bearing does not instantly open up a gaping hole for all of the oil to squirt out of.

niterydr 12-07-2003 08:28 PM

1) spun bearings can cause a severe drop in oil pressure, but it doesn't always happen.
2) Jpretz if you are worried about the car, we can do diagnostic work as well. Why not have it towed to us? Diagnostic work can be deferred inside of billing if we fix the car as well as find the problem.
Good luck.