MitsuStyle

MitsuStyle (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/index.php)
-   Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   What Kind Of Oil Do You Use/ Recommend (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31709)

blageo23 06-19-2012 11:04 AM

What Kind Of Oil Do You Use/ Recommend

Ive always ran mobile one 10w30 (maybe 40 I don't remember) in my eclipse. But last year when my turbo went out the oil that was leaking out of the turbo was like water. Kind of scary. Looking to possibly switch to a new oil.

Kracka 06-19-2012 11:36 AM

Re: What Kind Of Oil Do You Use/ Recommend

Mobil 1 10W-30 with OEM Mitsu filters in both my IX and X. Hot oil is supposed to flow very easily, this allows it into the incredibly tight tolerances of modern engines. Thicker doesn't mean better, you should always run the appropriate viscosity for the tolerances the engine was built to.

curt_gendron 06-19-2012 11:45 AM

I still use Mobil 1 in all my cars. Been doing that and OEM filters for the last 13 years.

blageo23 06-19-2012 12:01 PM

Alright. I always use oem filters too. It just freaked me out that it was so thin. Guess I've never really seen super hot oil spewing out the engine.

goodhart 06-19-2012 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kracka (Post 408851)
you should always run the appropriate viscosity for the tolerances the engine was built to and the amount of power you are making.

fixed. Mobil1 may not be too bad for stockish cars, no way in hell you would catch me running it in a 600awhp car like yours.

I would run something like Rotella, Brad Penn, Amsoil high zinc, or similar. or one of the oils on FP's recommended oils list.

niterydr 06-19-2012 12:44 PM

Rotella T Synthetic and Purolator filters.

A//// Guy 06-19-2012 12:56 PM

Castrol syntec and GTX are what I usually use for synthetic vs non synth. Bosch or oem filters usually.

Kracka 06-19-2012 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodhart (Post 408857)
fixed. Mobil1 may not be too bad for stockish cars, no way in hell you would catch me running it in a 600awhp car like yours.

The amount of power you're making doesn't change the tolerances the engine was built to, how the engine was built does though. If you don't know, follow the manufacturer's or the engine builder's recommendation, simple as that.

Halon 06-19-2012 01:33 PM

Toy car - I run whatever synthetic oil is on sale (10w-30 usually), and whatever filter is on sale.

Envoy - I run whatever conventional oil is on sale (5w-30 usually), and whatever filter is on sale.

:D

Kracka 06-19-2012 01:45 PM

:lol:

The funny thing is, in the real-world, your method is probably just as effective as someone who buys the most expensive hyped-up internet fanboi oil out there!

Basically, my reasoning for Mobil 1 is simple: Simplicity (factory fill, I can buy it at Walmart) and price (it's fairly cheap by the 5 quart jug).

simulatedwood 06-19-2012 01:46 PM

Oil? pffffff

My engine is run on Tigers blood and Chuck Norris sweat.

In all seriousness, Kracka is spot on in his analysis, spec the oil based on bearing tolerances not horsepower. What brand of oil is used, is mostly personal preference, each oil brand specs out different additives they use, some additives are better over a short term life others additives last longer over the long haul but are not as effective.. pick your poison.

95talonracer 06-19-2012 01:55 PM

I would run nothing mut the Amsoil high zinc with an amsoil filter in your car Mike. I ran it in all of my cars with nothing but great outcome. Let me know if you need any or you can probably get it from someone in your area.

Kracka 06-19-2012 02:00 PM

Also, keep in mind who's recommending what, the pyramid marketing scheme is a very powerful tool :)

turbotalon1g 06-19-2012 02:21 PM

lol, beaters get whatever is cheapest but usually with a decent filter.

Talon gets dino oil rotella T with a Wix filter. Rotella T dino has lasted a really long time for me with no negatives.

Halon 06-19-2012 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kracka (Post 408868)
:lol:

The funny thing is, in the real-world, your method is probably just as effective as someone who buys the most expensive hyped-up internet fanboi oil out there!

Basically, my reasoning for Mobil 1 is simple: Simplicity (factory fill, I can buy it at Walmart) and price (it's fairly cheap by the 5 quart jug).

:) I agree. There is definately science to it all, and I used to love playing into a lot of that hype and internet info. But in the end I've concluded that I really don't have a clue in the grand scheme of things, so I just make sure to stick with regular change intervals, stick with recommended weights, and leave the science to the manufacturers because they know a million times more than I ever will.

JET 06-19-2012 04:59 PM

Look at the tests, Mobil 1 is usually near the top. One thing to think about is the longevity. Do you think amsoil or mobil has more research in to their additive packages? What oil comes stock in most of the super cars? I'll stick with Mobil 1 in my cars. If it is good enough for a Carrera GT/911 turbo, it is good enough for my car. I also agree that regular changes mean WAY more than the oil you use. I use the Napa Gold filters (made by Wix) or OEM.

Super Bleeder!! 06-19-2012 07:10 PM

http://store.forcedperformance.net/m...otor%20Oil.pdf

Forced Performance oil article.

evotuner 06-19-2012 10:32 PM

AMSOIL 10w-40 high zinc and oem mitsu filter

Murlo26 06-19-2012 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evotuner (Post 408896)
AMSOIL 10w-40 high zinc and oem mitsu filter

Same.

CornFed2.4 06-20-2012 02:55 AM

I thought there was a few members on here or remember the same thread a yr or so ago about mobil 1s quality going to shit. A few locals I know for sure blamed mobil one for spinning bearings.

Me personally when the car is running I use rotella w/ wix filter