MitsuStyle

MitsuStyle (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tuning/Electrical (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   Runs Too Cold (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10851)

LingLing 03-29-2006 10:20 AM

Runs Too Cold

Hey everyone. Well, here's the problem.

1990 Plymouth Laser RS-T..STOCK

Our temp gauge is suppose to sit straight up and down when at normal operating temperatures, right? Well mine sits right above the 1/4 hash mark on the gauge. Sometimes it will creep towards straight up and down, but really only makes it to a position similar to 10 o'clock. I thought my thermostat may be stuck open, but when I examined it, it's clean, and looks like it was replaced before I got a hold of it. The engine doesn't smoke and shows no signs of overheating. I do have a SMALL coolant leak coming from one of the heater core hoses, but I don't know why those would contribute to an engine running too cool. Suggestions are good! Thanks for reading! Sorry it's so long.

-Jason

Kracka 03-29-2006 10:25 AM

Re: Runs Too Cold

Replace the thermostat again with a quality Mitsu one, a lot of the time the aftermarket ones are pretty crappy and wear out quickly. I've encountered a few that were junk right out of the box. Have you tested your coolant to make sure its near a 50/50 mix? Also wouldn't be a bad idea to hook your car up to a Datalogger so you can get an exact coolant temp reading, maybe your temp gauge sensor is just faulty.

TheBlizzard 03-29-2006 10:26 AM

Do you have good heat?

joesushi 03-29-2006 12:14 PM

The night that I drove the car the temp was ok, it rose to the 50.99% mark (every turbodsm i have ever owned/driven has operated similiarly)

it got pretty dropped down to ~45% when i drove it, but i assume that was because of a bad thermostat.

But this was a week ago, and I am curious as to WHY it is misbehaving now......you can put your hand on the engine, and if it is really running that cold you will be able to tell, but if it hurts your hand, then its probably running at normal temp, AND SINCE WE JUST DID AN ENGINE PULL, THE SENSOR/WIRES COULD HAVE BEEN DAMAGED/BROKEN -just a thought...

but for now, replace those gay ass OEM coolant lines with new ones, and get t-clamps for everything....I assume that those old hoses are the ONLY place your engine is leaking now (aside from the valve cover gasket leak)

so fix everythign you can, hammer out the easy things, did you get the wheel bearing replaced yet?

LingLing 03-29-2006 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBlizzard
Do you have good heat?

yep, good heat.

i will replace my thermostat tomorrow and get back to you all. If that doesn't work, I'll try to find someplace/someone with a datalogger and work from there. Thanks for all the suggestions.

-Jason

GVR-4579 03-30-2006 03:15 AM

If you want to test a thermostat you can just stick it in a pot of water on the stove. Just incase you do want to test it

LingLing 03-31-2006 08:53 AM

and at a certain temp. it should open, correct?

Kracka 03-31-2006 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GVR-4579
If you want to test a thermostat you can just stick it in a pot of water on the stove. Just incase you do want to test it

Unless you have an accurate thermometer in the water that won't show much of anything. We already know its opening since the car is not over-heating.

Febo 03-31-2006 12:31 PM

Too cold of a thermostat range, or the thermostat is just staying stuck open. Hear about this alot actually. Heck, my GSX is doing it right now.

LingLing 03-31-2006 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLFebo
Too cold of a thermostat range, or the thermostat is just staying stuck open. Hear about this alot actually. Heck, my GSX is doing it right now.

So, maybe I have the wrong kind of thermostat in? But why would it be stuck open? Wouldn't it be stuck closed, if anything?

Febo 03-31-2006 08:09 PM

Well, stuck open... weakend to where it will open at low temps... same thing. But if your not over heating, its not stuck close, its just not closing period if your overcooling.

LingLing 03-31-2006 10:43 PM

Okay, well I'll throw in a new thermostat Sunday, and see what happens. But I also have to re-do my oil cooler lines too. blah...I'm truely experiencing the begining of the DSM curse. lol

Febo 04-01-2006 12:59 PM

Oh, god, you just dont even know.... may as well replace the upper and lower radiator hoses... and the radiator, you know, just as some preventative maitnence.

Kracka 04-01-2006 01:20 PM

The thermostat is a good place to start at least since its cheap, easy to do, and a wear item that needs periodic replacement anyway.

LingLing 04-01-2006 07:00 PM

Great, thanks for all your help guys. I'll report back when I get my FMIC piping worked out and such.

-Jason