MitsuStyle

MitsuStyle (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/index.php)
-   Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Flamidation Valve Going Bad? (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9215)

rk4g63 10-14-2005 09:45 PM

Flamidation Valve Going Bad?

Car: 94 Talon tsi AWD, with lsd and stock mounts
Problem:
When I take off from a stop sign or light (even slowly) I hear my wheels spin. Started about a week ago. When I shift from 1st to 2nd, I hear the same squeal/spin. Same sound when I shift from 2 to 3 and now recently (since ysterday) from 3rd to 4th.
This sound is reminiscent of what would happen on hard takeoff and from 1st to 2nd in my 95 GST (except in that case it would happen on hard takeoffs, not slow takeoffs like I'm doing now)
All of the above described problem on my 94 talon awd is not hard shifting or anything severe - I do it at VERY low speed (in fact, I saw it was happening even without me going into boost).

History and background:
I DO shift hard and take off hard almost all the time and this is my DD. I stopped doing this a week ago and started shifting like an old lady for the last week until I know for sure that I'm not in the process of breaking anything.

What the hell is slipping? Why are my wheels slipping?

Goat Blower 10-14-2005 10:46 PM

Re: Wheel spin developed recently in all gears except 5th

Your center diff is broke and you are now front wheel drive. That or your xfer case and driveshaft fell off somewhere.

rk4g63 10-15-2005 01:07 AM

If the transfer case fell off, how is my car still running? It's not dripping oil at all.
How will I know if my center diff is broken?

x-pride 10-15-2005 01:08 AM

Is your car lowered? If so your alignment could be off. This will cause tires to sqeak.

rk4g63 10-15-2005 01:10 AM

Not lowered that I know of. I just bought the car from Kenny a month ago (TGPilot). He didn't mention that he had it lowered.

x-pride 10-15-2005 01:27 AM

Check for uneven tire wear and tire pressure. Check you transfer fluid because it might of all leaked out.
"That or your xfer case and driveshaft fell off somewhere." Steve is just being sarcastic.
I would drive with caution until you know what is wrong with your car. Oh by the way welcome to the world of DSM (don't save money).

rk4g63 10-15-2005 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x-pride
Check for uneven tire wear and tire pressure. Check you transfer fluid because it might of all leaked out.
"That or your xfer case and driveshaft fell off somewhere." Steve is just being sarcastic.
I would drive with caution until you know what is wrong with your car. Oh by the way welcome to the world of DSM (don't save money).

Dude,
I REALLY REALLY hope thats the case - uneven tire pressure. If it's just that, then lunch is on me!!!!!
Otherwise I'm REALLY fucked.

Outlaw1 10-15-2005 08:40 AM

It's probably a belt squealing. Check them.

1ViciousGSX 10-15-2005 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goat Blower
Your center diff is broke and you are now front wheel drive. That or your xfer case and driveshaft fell off somewhere.

:cool:

Goat Blower 10-15-2005 11:06 AM

Geez, this ain't that tough. If you are indeed actually hearing and feeling wheelspin, have a friend stand on the passenger side of your car a safe distance away while you nail it from a dead stop. If your friend sees your passenger side front wheel spin, your center diff is broken, plain and simple. If that's not the case, your hearing something else, than refer to the posts above for other sounds and causes.

When I have a welded viscous coupler on my car and no xfer case or driveshaft, it'll spin the front right tire at anything under 100mph without even getting on it hard. The front diff is open, so you've got a one wheel wonder if your rear diff isn't getting any power.

1ViciousGSX 10-15-2005 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goat Blower
Geez, this ain't that tough. If you are indeed actually hearing and feeling wheelspin, have a friend stand on the passenger side of your car a safe distance away while you nail it from a dead stop. If your friend sees your passenger side front wheel spin, your center diff is broken, plain and simple. If that's not the case, your hearing something else, than refer to the posts above for other sounds and causes.

Yep, what he said :rolleyes:

rk4g63 10-15-2005 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Super4x4Duty
It's probably a belt squealing. Check them.

belts're OK.

rk4g63 10-15-2005 03:28 PM

I think there's a clicking sound coming from the bottom - passenger side front.

1ViciousGSX 10-15-2005 04:02 PM

Forget about what we told you to do, you are on the right track. Right near the down pipe & x-case is a flamidation valve that's problably sticking, causing it to chatter on acceleration from a stop.

JET 10-15-2005 04:44 PM

Yeah, those damn flamidation valves can be a pain when they get sticky. Luckily they are pretty easy to free them back up.

1ViciousGSX 10-15-2005 04:55 PM

Can you say WD-40?

sleepydsm 10-15-2005 05:12 PM

Double U Deeee For Deeeeee

rk4g63 10-15-2005 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1ViciousGSX
Forget about what we told you to do, you are on the right track. Right near the down pipe & x-case is a flamidation valve that's problably sticking, causing it to chatter on acceleration from a stop.

Is it that simple a fix? WOW!!
I'll go see.

rk4g63 10-15-2005 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JET
Yeah, those damn flamidation valves can be a pain when they get sticky. Luckily they are pretty easy to free them back up.

Where the hell have you been all these days dude? I hate to say this but I missed ya! :rolleyes:

JET 10-15-2005 07:30 PM

I was in WI for 4 days again. Now I am catching up in the garage and I will be heading out to Canada soon for 3-4 days.