MitsuStyle

MitsuStyle (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/index.php)
-   Brakes / Body / Suspension (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   wont start (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24384)

Powers 09-14-2009 06:03 PM

wont start

got the motor all in and the car will not start. there is fuel in the fuel rail and there is spark not sure if injectors are opening, so what else would cause it not to start and im sure there is a bunch of stuff. its a 95 talon tsi fwd plz help.

twack 09-14-2009 06:18 PM

Re: wont start

what are peoples thoughts that this may be a CAS issue, but it has spark

123abc 09-14-2009 06:23 PM

Does the car reek of gas? Are you sure the spark timing is on and the cam timing is on?

Powers 09-14-2009 06:33 PM

twack did all the timing so ask him and the car does not smell like gas at all

Kevin 1G Drummer 09-14-2009 06:35 PM

If it doesn't smell like gas after cranking it for a while, it's not getting fuel. Could be your MPI relay.

Powers 09-14-2009 06:50 PM

where is the cas located and the mpi?

goodhart 09-14-2009 07:35 PM

The CAS is on the corner of the valve cover.

Here's a link of where the CAS is with a pic. The MPI should be in your under the hood fuse box.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...3Doff%26um%3D1

twack 09-14-2009 08:52 PM

as far as te timing belt everything is lined up the fuel pump shoots fuel, but the injectors are not opening to deliver the fuel.

deadeye 09-14-2009 09:19 PM

What motor is it? 6 bolt or 7 bolt?

twack 09-14-2009 09:54 PM

7 bolt

EclipseGST 09-14-2009 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodhart (Post 305255)
The CAS is on the corner of the valve cover.

Here's a link of where the CAS is with a pic. The MPI should be in your under the hood fuse box.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...3Doff%26um%3D1

This is not correct... On 95-96 cars the CAS is located behind the intake cam gear.

If the CAS was bad the fuel pump would not turn on, let alone injectors wouldnt fire. On 2g's, there is no MPI fuse, there is a relay under the passenger side of the dash behind the kick panel that is along the center console but those rarely ever fail.

Sounds to me like a sensor is unplugged. Are you getting spark? Fuel in the cylinders? Good compression?

deadeye 09-14-2009 10:05 PM

7 bolts dont have a CAS. They got a cam position sensor thats under the timing cover.

If you guys did the timing, the cam position sensor could be to blame. If its the factory one, the wires are almost always toast and just looking at them wrong will make them snap and cause a real headache. Mostly cause you got to the pull the timing belt and maybe a cam gear to get at it. Rent a scanner from the parts store and see if a code pops up.

The wires for the crank sensor are the same way and would probably cause a no start too.

The other fussy bitch is the connector for the transistor pack. Make for sure that its completely plugged in. It actually takes a bit of elbow grease to make sure it clicks. The MAS can be the same way.

deadeye 09-14-2009 10:06 PM

^beat me too it by a second :D

EclipseGST 09-14-2009 10:09 PM

BTW: CAS is AKA Cam Angle Sensor, so 7 bolts do have a CAS...

The Cam sensor controls the fuel pump and injectors...

The Crank sensor controls spark...

Find out what you're missing and go from there. As long as compression is good.

deadeye 09-14-2009 10:48 PM

I guess everything has a different name to everyone, but thats what mitchell1/alldata called it. I thought since it was detecting the cam gear and not the cam itself, it was a different animal. But who knows, its pretty much the same thing either way since its detecting the position of the cam to help apporpriate timing.

:tequilla2: Maybe I should give up the sauce and I could get with it and figure out what stuff is supposed to be called.

In the end, it will make your car not run so check it out and see if its messed up. If you dont have a extra set of hands to see if your getting spark/fuel there should be a code for either the cam/crank sensors that will pop up on a code reader.

twack 09-14-2009 11:39 PM

-yup has good compression across the board,
-he says there is spark.
-when you take off the fuel line and turn the key he says fuel sprays out so theres pressure in the rail, or at least it does the initial prime.
-at one point he tried pulling the injectors while still attached to the fuel line and turned it over. they did not spray. but if the pump was pressurizing the rail wouldnt the injectors pop out. so in my mind the fuel rail does the initial prime but then dost keep going. im just guessing.
so it seems like either a problem with the cas being broken or unplugged

Pushit2.0 09-14-2009 11:55 PM

An engine needs 3 things to run: Fuel, spark, and compression. Generally at the opertune moments help. Get a spark plug test or take a plug wire off and place it close to a good ground (not the fuel rail) and watch for spark. Then take a small screw driver or similar and hold it onto the injector, you should feel it pulsing while cranking. Check the CAPs in the ECU, check the power transistor, check the coils, check the coolant temp sensor, make sure the MAS is pluged in, check for thrust bearing wear, could have taken out the crank shaft sensor.

~John

123abc 09-15-2009 07:15 AM

Are any check engine lights on?

Powers 09-15-2009 02:12 PM

yes the check engine light is on and i put a brand new cam position sensor in cuz i broke the old one taking it off

123abc 09-15-2009 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alliance14 (Post 305413)
yes the check engine light is on and i put a brand new cam position sensor in cuz i broke the old one taking it off

Are you able to look up what code it is? Or maybe find someone who can?