MitsuStyle

MitsuStyle (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/index.php)
-   Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Engine Oil (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195)

Jana 05-09-2004 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by gixxer@May 7 2004, 06:06 PM
hahaha, ohhh gotta love the Engrish speakers.

anywho, i am a Mobil 1 devotee

when i received my old maxima at 170k, i immediately switched to Mobil 1 and it never leaked a drop up to its 212k demise (water pump)

i just trust it, and it seems like all the new kick ass cars come with Mobil 1 from the factory. plus you can buy it in 5 quart jugs! wooot

Agreed. I've used Mobil 1 from the day I bought my car. Never had problems so why change.

And I love that I can buy the 5 gallon jug :D

Halon 05-09-2004 08:09 PM

So what do u guys recommend on my car? I've been running Valvoline 10W30 forever and I have about 103k miles. Stick with it? Still change it every 3k since it's not synthetic?

Kracka 05-09-2004 08:17 PM

Rotella-T is what you need. It is like $6 for a gallon and it is heavy-duty oil designed for turbo use.

AJ 05-09-2004 08:34 PM

Rotella's cheap. You get what you pay for. ;-)

Kracka 05-09-2004 08:43 PM

Try and find a better performing conventional oil for turbo applications. I know people who have switched from Mobil1 and never gone back.

AJ 05-09-2004 09:39 PM

And I bet there are more who swear by it. There is a reason one sells more than the other.

Kracka 05-09-2004 09:47 PM

Which is used by more long-haul tuckers? I'm not trying to change everyone's opinion on here...I was just making a recomendation to ME612 since he asked for it. Some people swear by synthetic...some don't. Everyone should use whichever oil they personally feel is best.

A//// Guy 05-09-2004 10:19 PM

ME612- I think you will be fine with valvoline oil.. either regular or synthetic. I have never used Valvoline but they are a good brand. And as JET said, the valvoline doesnt lifter tick as much.

Personally I have used Castrol Syntec in my car ever since the rebuild. Its great for lifter tick ( I get none). I switched to Mobile for one oil change and ever since that one of my turbo's copper washers has been leaking a little and I noticed the oil pan leaked a little too. I know Mobile one is great oil, but in my car it lifter ticked ALOT when cold and liked to penetrate a little too much for me, so I switched back.

Higher mileage motors- I wouldnt switch to synthetic.. not worth it and it will penetrate through gaskets and other things that were mentioned before.

AJ 05-09-2004 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by TalonTSiDude@May 9 2004, 08:47 PM
Which is used by more long-haul tuckers? I'm not trying to change everyone's opinion on here...I was just making a recomendation to ME612 since he asked for it. Some people swear by synthetic...some don't. Everyone should use whichever oil they personally feel is best.
which for me is the cheapest 5 quart jug i can find at walk mart. lol

Kracka 05-09-2004 11:39 PM

Supertech oil is actually cheaper if purchased by the quart instead of the gallon.

Halon 05-10-2004 12:03 AM

i bet it'd be cheapest if you bought it by the drum

Jed 05-10-2004 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by me612@May 9 2004, 07:09 PM
So what do u guys recommend on my car?  I've been running Valvoline 10W30 forever and I have about 103k miles.  Stick with it?  Still change it every 3k since it's not synthetic?
Just for reference, I bought my car at 92k and it now has 192K. I've been using Valvoline 5w-30 in the winter and 10w-30 in the summer and haven't had any problems yet. (I'm sure now that I've said something though I will :)) It's been changed every 2500-3000 miles and the balance shafts haven't froze yet so I'd just stick with with the cheap stuff. ;)

Jakey 06-30-2004 02:22 PM

Here is another interesting article: http://www.motorkote.com/oil_analysis.shtml

daneboy5 07-07-2004 05:03 PM

I have used Royal Purple on all my cars/trucks since 1996. Before that I used Valvoline exclusively. I believe it is the best you can buy! I watched (in person) a bearing load test and Royal Purple won hands down above: Mobil 1, Redline, Valvoline, Amsoil, Castrol, etc.

93laserawd 07-19-2004 11:51 PM

Well personally here I have always used the cheapest shittiest oil that I can find, you know the stuff you find at the convenience stores like caseys brand and fire star from kwik star and i just never change it and never had a problem with anything yet.........................Im just bullshittin!!!! I personally like Castrol GTX, I have used this in every one of my cars. It has always treated me well and it is relatively cheap!!!

1slowdsm 08-15-2004 09:40 PM

Why didnt I read this thread before I did my last oil change. I went from normal oil to Valvoline's Synthetic oil and my car is at 99K right now. Is that considered HIGH mileage? I'm about due for another oil change in like 1 week and a half, so I'll probably switch back to the Maxlife 5w30. I wonder if I change back to normal oil, my valve cover would stop leaking a little.... :banana:

illz 08-15-2004 11:32 PM

Kendall is also reputed to be an excellent non-synthetic (kendall gt-1) .. it's sold at bumper to bumper stores

1slowdsm 08-19-2004 03:06 PM

Valvoline now sells Maxlife Full Synthetic oil. Thats what I'll probably be getting on my next oil change....(I get 50% off everything, isnt that cool). I dont know how much they charge for that kind of oil, but I'm guessing it'll be the same as their regular Full Synthetic.

brrrnntsshhhh 09-09-2004 06:49 PM

well changing oils alot isnt too good for a car, synthetic may last u more milies but if u keep changing it to a diff kind over n over, its not good. ive read taht its best to chose a oil type and stick with it, doing that is good enough, high milage stuff is just for marketing purposes.

Kracka 09-09-2004 07:30 PM

Regular Maxlife actually has a very good additive package in it, I don't know about the synthetic stuff though. Our new friend with the wierd name is right though, it is best to choose one kind of oil and just stay with it (thats why its always a good idea to ask previous owners what type of oil they have used).