MitsuStyle

MitsuStyle (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/index.php)
-   Brakes / Body / Suspension (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Dr. ColorChip (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35502)

Kracka 02-23-2016 10:48 AM

Dr. ColorChip

Has anyone ever tried it? I have a few pretty bad chips on my front bumper so I ordered up their Squirt 'n Squeegee Kit. I figured for $65 I'd give it a shot before paying $1200 to have the front resprayed. I suspect this process is similar to what I had done on the S2000 years ago at Dent Kraft.

https://www.drcolorchip.com/select-product.php

If anyone has used it, please feel free to leave your feedback and/or tips!

A//// Guy 02-23-2016 11:40 AM

Re: Dr. ColorChip

I thought you had your front end repainted? I need to do something on the vette too, was thinking of repainting the front bumper but maybe this will be good enough.

Kracka 02-23-2016 01:23 PM

I was planning on it, but the estimate was far higher than I considered justifiable considering it'll just keep happening. I'll let you know how well it works!

turbotalon1g 02-24-2016 05:21 PM

I'll have to revisit this maybe this summer, nice find!

Kracka 02-25-2016 07:38 AM

I'll be sure and post my before & after pictures along with my impressions.

Kracka 03-26-2016 12:10 PM

I used the kit yesterday afternoon, overall I would rate it a 4/5. Is it a perfect, professional, finish where it looks like the bumper was fully repainted? No. Overall, it looks very good though, way better than before, and definitely a better job than could be done with a bottle of touch-up paint! For $65, I am quite satisfied and will continue to use it. The smaller chips filled in perfectly the first time, but the larger ones will likely need a 2nd application. For anyone wanting to do some rock chip repairs, I would recommend this product.

TheDogfather 03-26-2016 12:25 PM

I can't wait to use mine! I got a 3 spots that I could use this on. I do have a touch up pen but waited till you used this and am glad I did haha. Thank you for the review!

Speedfreak 03-26-2016 01:10 PM

Pics?

Kracka 03-28-2016 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedfreak (Post 460554)
Pics?

Sadly, no. I am basically the anti-Scheides when it comes to taking pictures in the garage. There wouldn't be much to see though...rock chip, to no rock chip :)

The $65 kit came with everything needed, and I still have quite a bit leftover so I'll be fixing chips for a while with this kit. I plan to just give the bumper a quick once over after every roadtrip and cruise. I fixed a few random stone chips elsewhere on the car as well.

https://www.drcolorchip.com/store/me...ueegee-Kit.jpg

To complete my spring paint correction project I also got a bottle of Meguiar's ScratchX 2.0 to take care of a few random scratches, scuffs, and scrapes. It also did a good job! The product has definitely improved since the original came out years ago.

http://www.meguiars.com/content/glob...ct/2760_lg.jpg

Rather impressive actually, after this work the paint is still looking nearly flawless :D

Kracka 10-07-2016 09:19 AM

I need to use both the above products again. My July roadtrip did a number on the car, and I've been too lazy the past few months to do it! Maybe I'll be productive this weekend...maybe ;)

tehehodi 10-07-2016 10:42 AM

Ordered up! I'll try and take pics as I try it out.

AwdGSX13 10-07-2016 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kracka (Post 462180)
I need to use both the above products again. My July roadtrip did a number on the car, and I've been too lazy the past few months to do it! Maybe I'll be productive this weekend...maybe ;)

Sounds like you need a clear bra

tehehodi 10-07-2016 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AwdGSX13 (Post 462182)

Can you hook one up on the cheap?

AwdGSX13 10-07-2016 11:53 AM

Could probably help ya out with that. Next time he's in ill see what i can do. I assume youre asking for the IS300? He did my bumper hood fenders for like 300 bucks. And i have the stuff to do door edges on hand.

tehehodi 10-07-2016 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AwdGSX13 (Post 462184)
Could probably help ya out with that. Next time he's in ill see what i can do. I assume youre asking for the IS300? He did my bumper hood fenders for like 300 bucks. And i have the stuff to do door edges on hand.

for an 09 silveraydo! Is300 gone. Well, i'd take your offer on those door edges too. Can he do the rocker areas? Not sure what is recommended.

AwdGSX13 10-07-2016 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tehehodi (Post 462185)
for an 09 silveraydo! Is300 gone.

oh dayum ok. What did you want done then?

Kracka 10-07-2016 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AwdGSX13 (Post 462182)

Nope. I went that route on my Evo IX and it turned into a giant hassle. I'd rather use this kit once or twice a year.

tehehodi 10-07-2016 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kracka (Post 462187)
Nope. I went that route on my Evo IX and it turned into a giant hassle. I'd rather use this kit once or twice a year.

What kinda hassle? Yellowing from the sun?

Kracka 10-07-2016 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tehehodi (Post 462188)
What kinda hassle? Yellowing from the sun?

I ended up getting it replaced about every 6 months (under the lifetime warranty) for yellowing (which is always going to happen against white). I forget the name of the stuff now, but this was basically the bees-knees product back then and was supposedly vastly superior to the 3M film in every way (strength, clarity, resistance to yellowing/hazing, etc.). I'm pretty sure they got sick of seeing me :D

I always cared for it with the special plastic film cleaner as recommended, and detailed the edges with a Q-Tip after each wash to remove any dirt build-up.

Kracka 10-10-2016 07:20 AM

I used the kit again over the weekend and started getting really pissed...until I realized the chip that I could just not get the paint to cover was a tiny bug smushed into the paint :lol: Otherwise, all the chips I earned on the spring cruise and my July MN lake trip have been fixed, with the exception of one on the mirror I forgot about until after I had cleaned up. I'm sure I'll earn more on the poker run this weekend though, so I'll do it again sometime this winter!

8 months since ordering and the kit still worked perfectly, the paint and chemical just needed a good shaking.