MitsuStyle

MitsuStyle (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/index.php)
-   Official MitsuStyle.com Topics (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Project Quiet Exhaust is a success! (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32191)

Goat Blower 10-08-2012 10:58 AM

Project Quiet Exhaust is a success!

I've spoken to a few of the "older" members on here about quieting down this 3" exhaust on my GSX. It was great 10 years ago but now just gives me a headache and is somewhat embarrassing to drive, at my age at least.

I did quite a bit of measuring and searching for an extra muffler to go in the midpipe area. After a small debacle with Summit, I did get a Magnaflow 3" in and out with a 18" long body that fits with a slight massaging of the floor boards. I used slip fit SS connectors from Summit, good quality for the price. Better than the Buschur sourced ones I had with my old 3.5" setup. My system is a crappy Apexi downpipe with a used Thermal Research 3" catback that I modified to get rid of the neckdown they come with and make it pretty much a full 3" system, I'll upgrade the downpipe this winter sometime.

Anyways, it's now much quieter although it still roars a bit at WOT, but the highway drone is gone, which was the worst part. I'll have to see if I want to go quieter yet, but so far this is a big improvement. I can actually hear the other little squeaks and rattles now, so I'll be tending to those over the winter as well. I'd like to eventually have this thing sound a little more like a new Evo than an old DSM.

mdost03 10-08-2012 12:24 PM

Re: Project Quiet Exhaust is a success!

Congrats on the quieter exhaust!

goodhart 10-08-2012 12:25 PM

Video plz

A//// Guy 10-08-2012 12:26 PM

Nice, yea I remember installing a 18" resonator in place of the cat and using a hooker straight through muffler to really quiet things down too. Worked perfect.

C3L1CA 10-08-2012 01:00 PM

In for video!

My thermal 3" with no cat is starting to sound loud for my car being a daily driver. I'd be interested in making my car a little bit more quiet but I'm just too lazy haha

Halon 10-08-2012 01:28 PM

Yeah post a vid. You should swing by some day, compare it to the SC because quiet has been my goal as well. On the highway, it barely sounds louder than stock.

turbotalon1g 10-08-2012 01:35 PM

I like how quiet my car is.
Can't wait to see this at wot!!
Coming to the track?

Goat Blower 10-08-2012 02:38 PM

Alright, I'll put a video in the next day or two. The more I drive it, the more I want to go just a bit quieter, so I'll probably replace the Thermal muffler as I think it's about shot. That should realy make it nice.

I'll head to one of the next races in either RF or CF in the next few weeks, depends on what family stuff we have going on this weekend.

Halon 10-08-2012 05:22 PM

I ended up with offset in/out straight thru stainless mufflers off ebay. Looked just like a magnaflow, but a fraction of the cost. They ended up sounding great.

Constant_Project21 10-08-2012 07:04 PM

My mustang is stupid loud, that's something I will address over the winter. But a lot of other things are planned as well :). Woot for everyone trying to keep their cars quiet! As many loud ass Honda's I have heard, the more quiet modified cars, the better.

Goat Blower 10-08-2012 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halon (Post 415890)
I ended up with offset in/out straight thru stainless mufflers off ebay. Looked just like a magnaflow, but a fraction of the cost. They ended up sounding great.

I got the 6" round cannister, after they screwed up, they gave me a $25 gift card so it ended up being about $75 with free shipping, not bad.

Goat Blower 10-08-2012 11:05 PM

I think that's it, every time I see some kid drive by in a piece of crap Honda, I hate that loud exhaust, at least ours always sounded a lot better than that, I just don't want to deal with it in a daily driver.

scheides 10-09-2012 12:10 AM

Nice!

Goat Blower 09-04-2013 07:24 PM

Ugh, just saw this, I've gotten used to it and it's way too loud again. Time to swap out the rear Thermal muffler and fix the little exhaust leaks, after PG2 of course.