MitsuStyle

MitsuStyle (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tuning/Electrical (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   "Hacking the MAF??" (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6319)

TGPilot 01-29-2005 09:13 PM

"Hacking the MAF??"

Hello all,

Tried to do a search on this page and it came up with nothing.

Is this a practical modification to the MAF? http://www.dsm.org/how-tos/JFM/MAF_Mod.html

It scares me to do it because I do not want to have to replace my MAF after removing the honeycomes...but I do have the K&N as he described without any form of stock aircan.

Is this something that I can do without harm to my car...or will I need to look for a new MAF for the car?

Thanks much in advance!
Kenny

LightningGSX 01-29-2005 11:36 PM

Re: "Hacking the MAF??"

Don't do it.Any gains picked up more than likely came from the K&N, and not the MAF mod itself

1ViciousGSX 01-30-2005 01:12 AM

If I remember correctly, the 1g mas doesn't respond as well as the 2g mas to the hacking. Doesn't want to run well. But I could be wrong on this.

TGPilot 01-30-2005 11:09 AM

Well that is two against...anyone else who had a "good" experience with the 1g hack?

LightningGSX 01-30-2005 11:11 AM

Seriously, the MAF hack is just that, a hack.Don't be a hack and do hack shit.Save your money if need be, and do things the right way.

TGPilot 01-30-2005 11:38 AM

Doing searches on other pages I did like the looks of the GM Maft conversion. Any good vs bad ideas on that? I am in the process of getting this 94 Talon to either be a fun street/strip car...or she is going to be running in the PPHCA out here in Colorado.

Obviously good things have a price-tag...but if I can get the best performance for my dollar that allows for more entry fees! ;)

LightningGSX 01-30-2005 11:47 AM

Most people have nothing but good things to say about the MAFT/GM MAF conversion.

john 01-30-2005 12:38 PM

Just go with a 2g MAS. I have had luck with hacking a 1g MAS two years ago when I was on the b16g and 550s. I had to hack the MAS because I would fuel cut at 20 psi pump gas. I was able to get 21 psi out of it with only 1 occasional count of knock. I would not do it if you do not have to though. If you are fuel cutting at a lower boost level, you most likely have boost leaks. James (ghettostyle) probly has a 2g MAS and plug he will sell ya. You would have to solder it in or destroy a MAS and make a plug and play connection. I am on a turbo capable of 400 hp and I have had no problems as of yet with my 2g MAS. I haven't had to hack it. BTW, I probly still have my hacked MAS if you do not want to ruin one. You do not need to hack one on a stock/near stock car.

Shane@DBPerformance 01-30-2005 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TGPilot
Well that is two against...anyone else who had a "good" experience with the 1g hack?

Yes, it can work well, but it takes a lot of fiddling, tuning and only hacking out the correct amount. If you plan on making 450whp or less, then just throw on a stock 2G MAS, they work perfect and don't require much tuning. If you plan on making more than that, then a hacked 1G MAS can work, but if your at that power, you should probably just do a MAFT or speed density setup anyways. If you aren't experiencing MAF overrun now, then you can just stick with your current setup for the time being.

TGPilot 01-30-2005 02:10 PM

This is what I have on the car now...not much but a good start considering it came with the car and I paid $2000 for it... ;)

A list of the current "mods":
16g Big Turbo
2g Throttle-boby
EVO III Exhaust manifold
Full 2.75" Exhaust (Downpipe through to exhaust)
K&N on stock snorkle and 1g MAF
Buschur Intercooler to throttle pipe
Manual Boost Controller
A/F Gauge & Boost on the pillar
ACT 2600 Clutch set

1QUICK4 01-30-2005 04:33 PM

If you hack your 1G MAS you will be able to run more boost without hitting fuel-cut, but your car will idle like poo.