MitsuStyle

MitsuStyle (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tuning/Electrical (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   2-step (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13306)

Swifty1638 10-17-2006 11:46 PM

2-step

Well, after discovering that my vehicle speed sensor isn't working for the AEM, I decided I'd pull a shep, and run the 2-step off my left horn button. The issue I have is that when turning the wheel, the wires would become quite entangled up in the steering column, and I'm afraid they will break the spring on the back that makes contact with a metal ring for the horn. So, anyone have suggestions on how else to make this work? it's a momentary switch, so when at the line, you hold it down (other end goes to the aem-pin 5/14) and allows it to rev at the determined rpms. Then, launch button is let go, and return to normal rev limiter. I wish to keep my right hand free for shifting, and more-so e-braking/pre-loading the rear end off the line. This leaves the left hand to hold the wheel, meaning it's kinda gotta go off the steering wheel. How do those sparco steering wheels, with the 4 buttons work? I cannot figure out how i'll do this without the wires all getting tangled up in shit. Thanks.

-A. Swift

tim 10-18-2006 02:12 AM

Re: 2-step

Sounds to me like it would be easier to make your vehicle speed sensor work again? Is that through the ABS sensor btw or how does that work?

turbo2086 10-18-2006 07:25 AM

I read something on this a long long time ago. I believe the speed sensor is in the dash unit. I think the main purpose was to work with the ABS. Also, it senses the vehicles movement, so when you put the clutch in while cruising you'll notice your idle is higher, then what it would be at a complete stop. This is to help create more vacuum for your brake booster.

Matt D. 10-18-2006 08:27 AM

I would get a piece of coiled wire, like a telephone cord that goes between the base and the receiver, wire that between whatever and the button and wrap it around the steering column a few times.

Swifty1638 10-18-2006 09:46 AM

I don't know where the sensor or anything like that is. I was also not the one to pull the abs. I know the ABS sensor rings on the front brakes are gone, and cut out.

Where can I get this coil wire? It would work, if only that spring wasn't there for the horn to be given power through. I might just end up finding where that wire goes, and using the horn instead for hte 2-step, and never have a horn again..or else, wire that up somewhere else. How do those 4-button steering wheels work?

-A. Swift

-A. Swift

joem 10-18-2006 09:53 AM

Wire it up to the top of you shifter.

Swifty1638 10-18-2006 12:20 PM

Can't. the right hand is holding the ebrake, left hand on the wheel when I launch. I'd really like it to be a button on the steering wheel.

-A. Swift

Shane@DBPerformance 10-18-2006 12:24 PM

How do you have time to get from the ebrake to the shifter to hit 2nd gear before revlimiter? You might want to do a line lock and have both the line lock and 2-step activated off the same button on the steering wheel.

Swifty1638 10-18-2006 01:49 PM

Well, I figure the two are there and you gotta bounce off teh rev-limiter a few times anyway so it doesn't bog into the next gear. I've seen others do it successfully. I really don't want to mess with installing a line lock setup.

-A. Swift

Pushit2.0 10-18-2006 01:50 PM

Wire it off the clutch pedal switch, then when the cluch is pressed you have the 2step engaged.

~John

tim 10-18-2006 03:07 PM

Couldnt you just use your horn wires and everything for it? If you still want a functioning horn you could just pull the plug on the horn itself while you are the track so it isnt blaring while you hold it down.

Goat Blower 10-18-2006 04:34 PM

Yeah, you pretty much have to use a clockspring to make it work. I'd replace horn wiring with it and rig up a horn to the foglight button or something.

Kracka 10-18-2006 04:41 PM

Meh, who needs a horn? I took my horns out to save weight over the front end (I'm serious too) ;)

YiNYaNg 10-18-2006 05:19 PM

Can't you do a rely using the ebrake light signal indicator to activate your 2-step. So when ebrake is pulled 2-step is on.

JET 10-18-2006 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pushit2.0
Wire it off the clutch pedal switch, then when the cluch is pressed you have the 2step engaged.

~John

The reason I don't like that is I like the clutch part way up so it is sitting just before engagement, so it would be off the switch.

I am in the same boat. The VSS isn't broken, but they haven't figured out how to get the VSS to work with the AEM (correct me if they figured it out). I am using the top switch on the clutch, but it is too picky. Breathe on it and it will go into 2 step, which I rest my foot on the clutch too often at the track.

I was going to install a custom switch on the clutch pedal, but if someone comes up with a better idea I am all for it!

Swifty1638 10-18-2006 07:19 PM

I just might end up getting rid of the horn anyway. It's not too often I honk at people, since I just flick them off anyway, or boost on past them. I just need to know where that other end of that clockspring thingy (thanks steve) goes, and cut the wire and route it to the AEM. I'd like to do this tomorrow.

-A. Swift

Swifty1638 10-19-2006 06:00 PM

So I get the whole column apart to find that there are two wires on the back of the that horn clock spring thing-a white/black strip and a blue wire. I don't even have my wiring book here with me, so I cannot figure out where to cut the wire for the horn, and re-route it to the AEM. I HATE wiring shit.

-A. Swift

Swifty1638 10-20-2006 08:35 AM

Ok, so this is really making me look like a fuckin idiot, but I can't find in my manual where those horn wires go to. I'm sure they go through the wire loom for the steering column, but there is more then one white/black strip and blue wire. Anyone have an idea as to what or where I can take the wire for the horn, and cut it?

-A. Swift

Swifty1638 10-20-2006 12:00 PM

Out of curiosity, how does one wire it off the clutch? My clutch sensor is unplugged, so I don't need to depress it when starting. So, I'd assume I'd need to plug it back in? Which wire does it use?

-A. Swift

turbotalon1g 10-20-2006 12:31 PM

same question for me, i have mine unplugged to.