MitsuStyle

MitsuStyle (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/index.php)
-   Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   intake mani- skip one bolt? (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18406)

scheides 02-06-2008 11:56 PM

intake mani- skip one bolt?

So, I got my ported intake manifold and throttle body back from Buschur today and decided to take my car apart tonight. I got the intake manifold off in about 2.5-3 hours, not bad for a first timer!

Now, with my awesome luck, when I was putting all of the bolts back into the head with the new manifold, I must have grabbed a seemingly identical bolt to the others but it must have been about 3-5mm longer, as it got snug before it was all the way down. I noticed this as it started to torque, and decided I better back it off to see what the deal was. Went out really easy, so it occurred to me it might have just been tweaked from the other bolts being tight. Well, not the case, as soon as it got snug and met the lightest torque, it broke. :)

So, off came the manifold, and in with the drill bits. Drilled a small bit in, got some good depth, then decided to go another wee bit further with that bit. Sure enough that bit snapped off in there. So, it would not come out. A few bigger bits and extractors later, I am no where.

I love cars :)

This is the centermost top bolt holding the intake manifold on. I'm putting a fresh gasket on. Any chance if I just skip this bolt it will hold 100% pressure and not leak from that spot?

Let me know your insight.

HiImBrian 02-07-2008 12:35 AM

Re: intake mani- skip one bolt?

Even if it does hold, the dsm gods will come back to haunt you. Just get an easy out and back the bolt out.

Speedfreak 02-07-2008 02:00 AM

Skip it, you'll be alright. Now it's a true dsm at heart.

Kracka 02-07-2008 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedfreak (Post 227061)

For sure!

scheides 02-07-2008 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.98GSX (Post 227055)
Even if it does hold, the dsm gods will come back to haunt you. Just get an easy out and back the bolt out.

Like I said, I tried an extractor and one of the drill bits broke off inside of the hole I made. :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedfreak (Post 227061)

Think it'll hold 30psi? I'm pretty leery....

turbotalon1g 02-07-2008 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.98GSX (Post 227055)

Don't you read good? easier said then done.

I am with mo, nice 4 door DSM.
The only other way to see is put it together and do a boost leak test.
Good luck.

scheides 02-07-2008 08:21 AM

http://www.scheides.com/albums/evo-i...5112.sized.jpg

Halon 02-07-2008 08:51 AM

Let er buck

A//// Guy 02-07-2008 08:52 AM

Man that sucks.. Last resort would be to drill a bit bigger than the bolt and retap it.

craig 02-07-2008 09:30 AM

you'll have to go get diamond tiped bits to get it out and that'll just be a pain in the ass. let it go i left one bolt out of my car cause im lazy and the manifold seals fine

blageo23 02-07-2008 09:52 AM

I broke one of my fuel rail bolts off in my head(you should think that steel would strip out aluminum before the bolt would break) Anyways What I did was took a screwdriver or chizel and used it to make a groove in the bolt so I could try and use a straighthead screwdriver to try and get it out. OR I stuck the corner of the screwdriver into the top and hammered it in a counterclockwise to loosen the bolt. If that makes any sence. good luck with it man!

scheides 02-07-2008 10:04 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. I offered my secret helper some cash to have a go at it, otherwise I'm just going to bolt it up tonight and let'er rip. I do boost leak checks often enough that if it doesn't leak right away and starts later, I should catch it.

niterydr 02-07-2008 10:06 AM

I wouldn't skip it, but thats just me.

Goat Blower 02-07-2008 10:13 AM

I don't know if I'd skip it either, I'm kinda fussy. You are real lucky it's on the front of the motor and easy to get to. If it was on my car, I would probably skip it.

TkrPerformance 02-07-2008 10:18 AM

I will be over later with the diamond bits to get it out

HiImBrian 02-07-2008 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M/// Guy (Post 227077)
Man that sucks.. Last resort would be to drill a bit bigger than the bolt and retap it.

+1. sry i didnt know which bolt you were talkin about before.

JET 02-07-2008 10:47 AM

I wouldn't skip it either. You know damn well the gasket will blow out at the worst possible time (racing a Ferrari) and it will run like ass.

scheides 02-07-2008 11:01 AM

Awesome Mark! I am just out of drill bits and patience, I hope you have better luck than I did!

If it comes down to it, I guess I'll just pull the head off, take it to a machine shop, and do a full timing belt and water pump job on the thing. It's due soon anyways, the car just rolled over 50k miles.

FFPerformance 02-07-2008 12:16 PM

one thing I have done in these cases (especially when drill bits or extractors break off) is get my trusty dremel and a thin 3/16" carbide burr and take the hardened tool that broke down to the surface again and start drilling (carefully) again. 9 times out of 10 this has worked for me.

Good luck!

FFPerformance 02-07-2008 12:17 PM

Oh you can get these carbide burrs for dremels and die grinders at grainger