MitsuStyle

MitsuStyle (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/index.php)
-   Project Talk (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Carl's 98 auto AWD project Black Magic (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30786)

carltalon 09-28-2012 09:54 PM

Re: Carl's 98 auto AWD project Black Magic

IT RUNS AND DRIVES!! put 15-20 miles on it tonight and it works great. The transmission is shifting better then it ever has. I have a little adjusting to do with the Knockoff S90 Throttle body but the idle is already rock solid. I will try to get some pics up of the new intake/ Throttlebody setup in the car soon.

dsmghost 09-28-2012 10:16 PM

Nice! How are you liking the welded center diff? I love mine, I'm sure its not so bad with an automatic right?

carltalon 09-28-2012 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsmghost (Post 415245)
Nice! How are you liking the welded center diff? I love mine, I'm sure its not so bad with an automatic right?

The only time I really noticed the welded center diff was backing out of my driveway. It felt Like the car wanted to stop. I 'm sure I will get used to it or change my driveing style.

dsmghost 09-28-2012 11:07 PM

Yeah, I got used to it pretty quickly, even without power steering I really like it.

iceminion 09-29-2012 01:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Welded center diff in my 1st GVR4 500AWHPish + a good hook did this:

I snapped my transfercase output shaft in the yoke.

We had to weld that chunk of scrap to it and hammer it out.

look at how it twisted the splines...I cant be the only one right?

I felt kinda proud and defeated at the same time because it was the rare JDMyo switchable one. I have fields of regular transfer cases.

Great build! keep it up!

carltalon 10-01-2012 08:43 PM

Ive Drove the car off and on over the weekend and to work today. I had to fix one small leak on the end clutch cover, but other then that the car has been working great. It shifts nice and firm now I'm not sure how I like the welded center diff. Alot of binding and poping and clunking during slow speed turns. No difference at road speed. As long as everthing stays good I am probly going to BIR on saturday for one last race this season.

goodhart 10-01-2012 11:29 PM

Woo! That's some good progress since I seen it last week!

Goat Blower 10-02-2012 12:04 AM

Yeah, my xfer case done blowed apart when I had a welded VC as well. I think it just stresses the hell out of the xfer case on a street car.

turbotalon1g 10-02-2012 08:23 AM

BS on that welded diff shit, this is the 3rd car I've had it in and no problems, I must say that I prefer a 4-spider for a street car, but i went welded since it was $300+ diff.

Good to hear its back together, sucks I will be so close up there and won't make it.
I hope its not your last trip to the track.

carltalon 10-02-2012 12:39 PM

It will probly be my last trip this year. I dont really wnt to make the trek to cedar. Aaron you can use my trailer if you go to cedar.

turbotalon1g 10-02-2012 01:38 PM

^You are coming to cedar as well right?

carltalon 10-02-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbotalon1g (Post 415417)
^You are coming to cedar as well right?

I'm not going to cedar if I go to BIR this weekend.

carltalon 10-21-2012 08:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I took the car to Rockfalls Yesterday and it went 11.555 @120 mph. I will keep driveing it till the snow falls and then park it.

My plans for winter will be to cut out the rusty core suport and make a tubular one. And get a real intercooler. Ive been getting knock in 3rd durring long pulls so I think my ebay one isnt cutting it. I'll be on the lookout for a precision/garrett or ETS.

turbotalon1g 10-21-2012 10:04 AM

I'm loving that 120mph trap speed.

The car will do a 1.5x 60ft, so there is a little bit of room left.

Oh, was the baby seat in for this run?

carltalon 10-21-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbotalon1g (Post 416673)
IOh, was the baby seat in for this run?

The car seat isnt heavy enuf to makle it worth removing. I should have pulled the back and passanger seat then it might have ran 11.49

carltalon 11-28-2012 04:13 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I officialy Parked The car the day after Thanksgiving since the roads were salted.

Today I had a few hours to do work on the car so I removed the rusty lower core support. So I can replace it with a tubular one. I removed the bumper cover, FMIC radiator, and head lights. Then I drilled out about 20 spot welds that hold the lower support on. after some pounding with my BFH and a chisle it came right off.

turbotalon1g 11-28-2012 04:14 PM

Damn, Cut the whole front end!

SO weight reduction is gonna be your special upgrade!!!

GOod luck

carltalon 11-28-2012 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbotalon1g (Post 419173)
Damn, Cut the whole front end!

SO weight reduction is gonna be your special upgrade!!!

GOod luck

Part of me really wants to cut it off in front of the strut towers, but I dont really want to mess with the headlight mounting, hood latch, ect.

I think a tubular one might actually weigh more unless I go with lighter tubeing. But it will be worth it to have it solid again plus I plan on making mounts for the FMIC and mabey some tow-hooks.

carltalon 11-29-2012 08:36 PM

6 Attachment(s)
I tacked up the tubular core suport today. I made the lower radiator mounts from some lifting hooks we take off of engines at work and made some mounts for the a/c condensor. I am going to bring it to my Dads to weld it up with his MIG and drill the holes that will mount the North/South crossmember that runs under the motor/trans. Im not sure what I am going to do for FMIC mounts since I plan on upgradeing my Intercooler before spring.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...ount=16&ref=nf

niterydr 11-29-2012 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carltalon (Post 419281)
I tacked up the tubular core suport today. I made the lower radiator mounts from some lifting hooks we take off of engines at work and made some mounts for the a/c condensor. I am going to bring it to my Dads to weld it up with his MIG and drill the holes that will mount the North/South crossmember that runs under the motor/trans. Im not sure what I am going to do for FMIC mounts since I plan on upgradeing my Intercooler before spring.

Picture 6 explains to me why you tackled this project!