MitsuStyle

MitsuStyle (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/index.php)
-   Brakes / Body / Suspension (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Over revving issue (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23385)

Halon 06-01-2009 07:58 PM

Over revving issue

Just figured I'd share my new 'pain'. Car ran pretty good at the track. My new clutch held GREAT.

Went to Uni that night and when I left, a Mustang wanted to have some fun on the highway. I went to shift from 3rd into 4th, and well, lets just say it wasn't 4th that I went into... wooops!

Car because completely unresponsive. Pulled over, and the guy in the Mustang was nice enough to pull over too. He was pretty cool. We looked under the hood, found the CAS plug got loose. Plugged it in better and the car fired right up.

I was able to get it home, but the clutch is slipping HORRIBLY. By horribly I mean, in 1st gear, 1/4 throttle, it slips. Makes accelerating from a stop pretty laughable. There was a little clunking as well at first which did go away.

So got it home and let it sit for the night. Started it up Sunday and drove it down the driveway to see if the issue remained, and it did.

So today I've started my tear down / checks. I checked under the valve cover for any rockers that might have fell off. They were all there. Some seemed a little loose, which I'm thinking is probably some dead lifters to blame, which I've already been suspicious of. I have a brand new set of 16 here ready to go in anyhow.

Then did a compression test. Results starting at the cylinder closest to the T-Belt were:
160 - 165 - 170 - 165. Pretty much right what they've always been at. The one that is a little low, is the one I had my valve dropping issue with last year. So I expect it to be a hair low anyway because of the tiny knicks in the cylider wall. So to me, I'm pretty happy with those results.

Now I'm going to begin removing the head. Then will be removing the tranny, inspect the clutch and flywheel (suspect loose flywheel bolts which would be the knocking we heard on the way home). Then will drop the oil pan, and remove all rods/pistons and inspect them and the rod bearings.

Yippee :)

A//// Guy 06-01-2009 08:15 PM

Re: Over revving issue

Damn dude that sucks... This is getting a bit redonculous! lol Good luck finding the issue!

Im not sure why over revving would cause the clutch to slip though...

Kracka 06-01-2009 08:22 PM

That really sucks :(

4g63tcrazy 06-01-2009 08:25 PM

Too much powaa!! But really that sucks.. I've accidently went from 3rd to 2nd instead of 4th I think 3 times now. Everytime I do it I wanna shoot myself! Never actually did any damage though, thank god.

scheides 06-01-2009 08:29 PM

GHEY. I'm sorry dude, that sucks. You are not the first, shane did it a few years back if you recall.

C3L1CA 06-01-2009 09:34 PM

Damn dude that sucks. Good luck getting it all fixed up quickly and back on the road!

Halon 06-01-2009 09:41 PM

Thanks. I've reached a point where I really just don't feel like I'm in a hurry any more. Working on it is somewhat enjoyable, so I just started working slowly, and taking things apart today. Got the intake/uicp piping off. Drained out all the fluids. None of them looked that abnormal.

When I jacked up the car though, I went to go get some jack stands. By the time i dilly dallyed around and got them over to the car, I layed down to place them under the car, and there was what looked like, tranny fluid all over the ground. I really couldn't tell where it came from, but I did notice that the where the pass side axle goes into the tranny, the axle looks boot looks all screwed up, so maybe the fluid came dumping outta there.

So anyway, just got a lot of the little BS stuff removed and outta the way. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get the head completely off. Then Wednesday get the tranny off. Then maybe I'll have a better idea of things.

GsXtUrBo98 06-01-2009 09:43 PM

Damn sorry to hear this... Seems everyone has been having there bad luck latley...
Good luck with the tear down and if you need any help im not very far away! Also just to bull shit and toss a few back while I watch u do all the work would be A OK in my book aswell!! lol

Halon 06-01-2009 09:48 PM

Ha thanks dude. I'll let you know. Depending one who's doing what, I may need a hand on Wednesday just getting the tranny out. I usually hook up my cherry picker to it just to help lower it easily and safely. So while I'm underneath trying to wiggle it out, it'd be nice to have someone up top helping wiggle it, and running the cherry picker.

So if you, or anyone on here, is available Wednesday after work to lend a hand for a little, let me know. Not really sure if my roommate is going to be around to help me :(

GsXtUrBo98 06-01-2009 09:51 PM

I have wedsday off!!

Halon 06-01-2009 09:53 PM

Cool. Now that I finally saved your number in my phone, maybe I'll give you a shout Wednesday evening, probably somewhere around 5-6pm. Thanks man :) Plus I want to see your new setup!!

GsXtUrBo98 06-01-2009 09:59 PM

LOL! I'm glad you finally saved the #! My setup isn't anything too special... I might be changing most of it soon... but we will see.

Gravy 06-01-2009 10:00 PM

Sucks to hear about the car, were you winning when it happened? Would only make things worse, but gl figuring it out. I miss working on a 4g63, i know them inside and out, the stealth is kinda new to me still, havn't had to tear it down.

Hope the fix isn't too spendy for ya.

FattyBoomBatty 06-01-2009 10:25 PM

Why would you pull the head for a tranny problem? I'd say pull the trans, check crank endplay and if it's good, just change the oil, and toss 'er back together. Maybe the tranny bearings took a dump and you got fluid on the clutch?

asshanson 06-01-2009 10:47 PM

Sucky dude, hope you get everything fixed soon and with minimal damage.

I agree with Fatty though, why would you pull the head and pistons and all? Just to be extra safe? Going to put in all new bearings and rings etc? Thats a lot of extra work, when it could just be a transmission/clutch issue.

Kevin 1G Drummer 06-01-2009 11:34 PM

I agree with Fatty and Andrew, you don't need to rip the motor apart again unless you see oil on the clutch. Sucks to hear about your problem though, and good luck getting it back together! If you need an extra hand on Wednesday I could help out a little before I go to work.

Halon 06-01-2009 11:44 PM

I guess I didn't make this clear, and is the part of the picture you all are missing.

I was already planning on removing the head this week, even before this issue happened. I have new L19 head studs I'm installing, and I wanted to get the head re-checked for flatness because I've been pushing coolant damn near all season long. That is why the head is coming off. Not because of the over revving issue, but because this was pre-planned maintenance I already had on my to-do list for this week. Also the timing belt as many have seen is shot, so it needs replacing as well. Hence the reason I've been slowly acquiring everything I need over the past month (L19 studs, new t-belt and tensioner, new HG). This was pre-planned, relax :) Now it just turned into more then what I had originally planned.

Now, since the head will be off, and I plan to drop the pan because I want to check my rod bolt torque (recommended to me by very knowledgeable individuals after something like this occurs), I'm going to take the little extra time to just remove them and inspect them to make sure they weren't affected by this mishap. It'll cost me what, an extra hour in the end maybe? My question back to you then is, why not? Why not take the extra hour for that better peace of mind, or catch something that didn't quite fail yet but is about to?

Pushit2.0 06-02-2009 12:53 AM

It will cost you another re-torque on the rod bolts, which if you do not have the original length of the bolts then after 3-4 torques it is recommended to replace them. But if you have the original length measurement and they have not stretched over X amount, the spec is different per company, then you can re-use the rod bolts.

~John

FattyBoomBatty 06-02-2009 01:18 AM

If you're doing that, will you install all new bearings too?

s1ngletracker 06-02-2009 01:29 AM

I'd definitely say rule out any tranny issues before pulling the rotating assembly.