MitsuStyle

MitsuStyle (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/index.php)
-   Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Opinions twin disc clutches (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32644)

Tachyon 02-12-2013 10:00 AM

Opinions twin disc clutches

I'm getting fed up with my 1g AWD's clutch. I've been using an ACT 2900 with unsprung 6 and 4 pucks for the past few years. Long story short, they always seem to cause clutch drag when they get warm, and I then I'm not able to shift about 6000 RPM.

To this end, I've been thinking about picking up a twin disc setup. I've been leaning towards a Competition Clutch setup as I'd rather not dick around with a ring gear.

The one thing that has me slightly concerned is reading in a few places that twins are even easier to warp than a single? This is my one reservation about buying one as I tend to punish my clutch vs gearbox when launching.

Does anybody have any experience with excessive warping causing clutch drag and then syncro damage when using multi-disc clutches?

Halon 02-12-2013 10:24 AM

Re: Opinions twin disc clutches

I'm sure you already know, but act redesigned their PP's and discs awhile ago. Thus if you happen to be using mismatched disc and PP's, they will likely drag at lower rpms. Just throwing that out there in case you didnt already know.

As for twin discs, I never ran one because I heard the harmonics they create are hard on the transmission. Which so is clutch drag, so pick your poison I guess.

blageo23 02-12-2013 10:29 AM

I have the quarter master twin. Only problem I have had is the bolts that hold the pressure plate together hit the fork. Bought a "modified" fork and still hit. Then took it apart and modified it myself and it still hit. Ended up buying new bolts and countersinking them. It's worked for me since. Never had an issue with shifting at higher rpm. But I don't beat too
Much on it.

4seasons69 02-12-2013 10:35 AM

As far I know Swifty never had any problems with the twin disk in my car. I haven't gotten to drive my car much so I can't really comment from my own experience with it. I know a lot of the twin disk clutch kits you have to modify the shift fork to make them work. I have the powertrain technology one and you do not need to modify the clutch fork to make it work

TkrPerformance 02-12-2013 10:39 AM

I have had a QM it worked great also had the bolt problem did the same thing mike did. I lasted 2 years of D.D. In the Evo. Just needed a rebuild. I ended up getting a HKS twin for free and have been using that now. I like it better than the QM, but it is only for a 7bolt and I don't know if it is made any more

JET 02-12-2013 10:59 AM

I have twin also with pretty low miles on it that I would be willing to part with. I really liked it, great engagement and much lighter than a 2900. Much easier than a single to slip properly at the track. This one has a handful of track passes on it at 360whp. It is a QM from Devo tuning. I also have a billet shift fork to go with it. It is still on the car right now, but it is not in running condition. PM me if you are insterested.

Tachyon 02-12-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halon (Post 423686)
I'm sure you already know, but act redesigned their PP's and discs awhile ago. Thus if you happen to be using mismatched disc and PP's, they will likely drag at lower rpms. Just throwing that out there in case you didnt already know.

As for twin discs, I never ran one because I heard the harmonics they create are hard on the transmission. Which so is clutch drag, so pick your poison I guess.

Actually I did not know this. I have a PP that is probably pushing 8 years old, and use their new discs. Hmm.

Jack's transmissions seems to have a solution for the broken hub springs that the twins can cause. Being I am building a different gearbox for 2013, I might give 'em a try.

I don't mind replacing internal transmission parts, but I do get a bit flustered when you wind out 1st, but have to let your RPM settle to
about 5500 before it will go into 2nd. Hoping a twin would help with this.

Thanks for the information thus far everyone... I appreciate it.

JET, you have PM.

Kracka 02-12-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachyon (Post 423694)
Actually I did not know this. I have a PP that is probably pushing 8 years old, and use their new discs. Hmm.

Looks like you found the problem. ACT should have included a notice with the revised clutch discs to prevent issues like this from even occurring in the first place.

Halon 02-12-2013 11:42 AM

RRE actually sent me a new clutch disc for free when this was discovered. Props to them for being on top of things I thought.

Goat Blower 02-12-2013 01:31 PM

Depends on your driving style I guess. I had a QM one which had problems and I had it rebuilt with new disks. I never used it at the strip where it probably would've been the cat's ass, but I didn't like it on the street. I got tired of the noise and even though I got it sorted as good as possible, I got tired of the super light flywheel. If you're racing all the time, I'm sure it would be great, maybe I'm just getting old.

EclipseGST 02-12-2013 02:18 PM

I have a PTT Twin in my convertible. No problems here. Ended up getting it for $125 and a set of 880cc injectors otherwise I probably would have just ordered a new ACT setup. They kinda suck in stop and go traffic but other than that, I like it. A little noisy but I got over it quick.

Tachyon 02-12-2013 03:36 PM

Heh... This car sees about 2500 miles a year, and 1/4 of that is 'Style cruises, 1/4 is the proving ground, and the rest is being a jackass on the weekends.

About the only time I drive it is when it's time to get rowdy and make a lot of noise, so I doubt I'd even hear the clutch chatter.

Based on the some of the intel from this thread, I am currently pursuing JET's clutch. Hopefully this will be the ticket.

spoolin d dub 02-13-2013 09:19 PM

PTT is Garbage. It blew up on a 2nd gear pull on my car and stripped all the splines off my input shaft. And they customer service is just as shitty. Get a Quarter Master GEAR-DRIVE Rally 7.25" V-Drive Twin Disk Clutch. And Get it from TMZ Performance. Tim designed it. Best damn clutch i've felt in any mitsu. Holds power and feels nice and smooth. Also for those of you who care it doesn't make alot of noise.

goodhart 02-13-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halon (Post 423686)

Do you happen to have a link on this? or know when it changed?

Halon 02-13-2013 10:29 PM

No link sorry. But it was maybe 5-6 years ago when RRE replaced my disc? Can't remember exactly. Bet if you did a search on the Link forums or something you would find more info.

goodhart 02-13-2013 10:57 PM

No access to link, I just couldn't find much on t00ners or talk.

dsmolition 02-22-2013 01:58 PM

I can’t wait to use my ptt twin. It will be nice to get that stock pedal back!I’m not sure why anyone would call it garbage. Their customer service is grate actually. I have been talking to them over the last few weeks. They reply with answers within a few hours via email. Also returned all my calls that day. If you fallow the simple instructions and use the Isuzu slave they last and work grate. My act would drag also. Got sick of spending money on shipping my trans to shep every winter haha.

spoolin d dub 03-23-2013 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsmolition (Post 424467)
I can’t wait to use my ptt twin. It will be nice to get that stock pedal back!I’m not sure why anyone would call it garbage. Their customer service is grate actually. I have been talking to them over the last few weeks. They reply with answers within a few hours via email. Also returned all my calls that day. If you fallow the simple instructions and use the Isuzu slave they last and work grate. My act would drag also. Got sick of spending money on shipping my trans to shep every winter haha.

I had the Isuzu salve. Clutch failed the following morning after i got the car tuned. They answered all my questions and were nice to me to. until i had issues. See almost every vendor will be nice when everything is ok. Its when something goes wrong when you see their true colors. PTT customer service suck knat balls. They said to me that a 900+whp car runs a PTT clutch at the track and he doubted I was making anywhere near that much power. WTF? I stated I had a 70mm turbo so I was making some decent power. I shot down his BS so he then goes on to blame my trans builder smh. This is that happened to me http://www.teamrip.com/clutch_info.html

dsmghost 03-23-2013 05:37 PM

My act 2600 drags at high rpm as well. I get locked out above 6400 rpm, I wish I had a twin disk clutch.

goodhart 03-23-2013 08:34 PM

^A 6 puck disk would probably suit your power level better. And its like $125. LOL