MitsuStyle

MitsuStyle (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/index.php)
-   Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Balance shaft belt broken, balance shaft doesn't turn easily (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34187)

Perkul8r 04-05-2014 06:58 PM

Balance shaft belt broken, balance shaft doesn't turn easily

So with the weather getting nice I was finally getting to do my timing belt/water pump in my 96 TSI. I was doing pretty good today till I got the lower timing cover off.

When I pulled the cover off, I found the balance shaft belt was broke and just jammed in there. And when I went to turn the balance shaft, I had to use some leverage, not bad, but I couldn't turn it by hand. It does not feel as free as other ones I have messed with.

Now that I have freed up the balance shaft, it does turn ok, but still not by hand.

I have only had the car a little while. Bought it with a bad fuel pump. Replaced pump and the car ran. Only thing I seen that was odd when I started the car up before doing this tear down was that the oil pressure was either not working, or there was no pressure.

I have never encountered this problem, so kinda looking for advice on how to proceed. Do I just replace the belts and try it, or do I need to pull the motor and go into it.

TkrPerformance 04-05-2014 08:36 PM

Re: Balance shaft belt broken, balance shaft doesn't turn easily

Bse kit

Perkul8r 04-05-2014 08:41 PM

I dont wanna have to pull the motor out if I dont have too. I tried doing the BSE kit in car one time, I didn't do so well.

TkrPerformance 04-05-2014 08:53 PM

No real choice now. It does not spin by hand easy. Low no oil pressure. Time to pull the engine and check the bearings,crank and if still good install bse

Perkul8r 04-05-2014 08:57 PM

Well. the thing is I dont have the space to pull the motor. No garage and no cherry picker kinda limit me.

TkrPerformance 04-05-2014 09:02 PM

Fix it right and not just to try to patch it and have the full engine taking a dump.

Perkul8r 04-05-2014 09:06 PM

i agree with fixing it right. I have no problem doing that. Just honestly no more money to really put into it. Saving to put a down payment on a house right now, so thats priorities.

TkrPerformance 04-05-2014 09:07 PM

Store it till you have the money or sell it. Hell I had my Spyder in storage for 10 year before I put it back together.

Perkul8r 04-05-2014 09:11 PM

That is true. I have been trying to buy this car back for over 2 years now. So I doubt I will let it go. But sounds like I need to dig deeper into it. So that'll probably be what I do now and see what I find.

I should be able to pull the pan to take a quick look at the balance shaft stuff right? Than if its bad I can just wait.

TkrPerformance 04-05-2014 09:29 PM

Yep just pull the pan and look and you can pull the main to look and the bearings and crank.

turbotalon1g 04-05-2014 10:00 PM

Dump it, not worth the time or headache.

scheides 04-06-2014 12:07 AM

To quote your very own sig:

"DSM....Because broken timing belts, cheap interior, transfer case leakage, and crankwalk is to weed out the weak."

:)

Perkul8r 04-06-2014 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scheides (Post 442979)
To quote your very own sig:

"DSM....Because broken timing belts, cheap interior, transfer case leakage, and crankwalk is to weed out the weak."

:)

That is a very valid point. lol. I guess I for some reason was just hoping this car wold't give me too many issues. But I should have known better.

Perkul8r 04-06-2014 03:12 PM

Well, I was able to borrow an oil pressure tester and yep..no oil pressure. The gauge didn't even try to move. So I will be ordering BSE kit, but also worried about main and rod bearings.

Perkul8r 04-06-2014 08:35 PM

Pulled the oil pan off today and found some bearing material in the oil. But both bearings are still in their spots on the balance shaft.

Even though its still there, can it still be the cause of my no oil pressure?

TkrPerformance 04-06-2014 08:53 PM

Bearing parts in the pan. Pull for a full rebuild no patching it now.

Perkul8r 04-06-2014 09:30 PM

I was afraid of that. There wasn't much, but it dont take much to mess things up.

goodhart 04-06-2014 09:44 PM

Yep, full rebuild time. If you do it right its not expensive at all. I did mine for ~$400

Perkul8r 04-06-2014 09:46 PM

At least this motor is in good shape. It did run just fine. With no noise, so at least it has that going for it. Should be an ok rebuild than.

evotuner 04-06-2014 10:26 PM

Sucks to hear that man, well now its time to put together a little build :) nothing wrong with that