MitsuStyle

MitsuStyle (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/index.php)
-   Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   valve spring Q (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33319)

blesi660r 07-14-2013 08:37 PM

valve spring Q

I am currently doing a build for my new talon and starting with the head

my Q is : I am installing a set of delta 272 regrinds, I have the head fully disassemble for decking and am wondering if I should up grade the valve springs while its apart, im thinking yes but im not positive. Lil help lol

4seasons69 07-14-2013 09:08 PM

Re: valve spring Q

What are your goals for the car? How much power do you want to make? How high do you want to rev? As far as I know you need to upgrade with 272s but in my opinion if you can afford it since you have it apart I would just do it. I'd up grade the valves and the springs and retainers.

blesi660r 07-14-2013 10:52 PM

Im shooting for 450 on e85, stock block, mild head build, I will look into the cost of valves but might have to just stick with upgraded springs,

4seasons69 07-15-2013 12:05 AM

A set of valves is like 200 to 400. But that sounds like a solid plan

CornFed2.4 07-15-2013 12:44 AM

What deltas are you going with. There are a ton of 272 options. You can get away with stock valves but you'll 95% of the time need to upgrade your springs. I Think evo springs and retainers should suffice unless they are high lift 272s

blesi660r 07-15-2013 01:22 AM

To be honest im not sure which really sucks, they came with the car and they are regrinds... I have some of the specs on them at home like lobe base diameter and hight and all the calculations.

blesi660r 07-15-2013 01:31 AM

Ok I found my specs that I was able to get by measuring the cam lobe

intake and exhaust.
cam lift- .221
net lift- .375/9.525 mm

exhaust is only a few thousandths different from the intake

I was looking at maybe the BC springs and titanium retainers.
valves are not in the buget as of right now ,but I might be able to get a set if I hold off on assembly for a month or two...

scheides 07-15-2013 07:10 AM

OEM valves and done basic beehive springs that use stock retainers as an upgrade. Get some Evo valves if you must, but save going with oversized valves for when you need to repair damage. It's a DSM,keep it simple, keep the budget nice and goals realistic.

Halon 07-15-2013 07:26 AM

That doesn't seem like it'd be that aggressive of a cam. However there is no black and white answer to whether or not you need or don't need to upgrade springs. Just have to measure out the risk and decide for yourself if it's worth it or not.

So just think through it. These cams, while not overly aggressive, are still more aggressive than factory, so they're going to be a little harder on the factory springs. They can probably take it, but how many miles are on these springs, how many of those miles are with the more aggressive cams? If this was a head with 50k miles on it, I'd probably just keep the stockers in and not rev it to the moon. However if you're talking a head with 100k+ miles, 20k of those are with the more aggressive cams, well then you're risk of inducing some sort of failure is going to start increasing.

From what I gather, you're on a tight budget. Beehives are great, but for your goals and what seems to be a tight budget, I'd just go with a single spring upgrade like Crowers. They are very affordable and should perform well enough for a mild cam setup like you have. That is probably what I'd personally do if I were in your shoes.

Or just stick with the stockers, but understand there's some risk involved, especially if the springs are in unknown condition/high milage. If you're willing to take that risk in an effort to conserve some money, that's your call. You may end up being completely fine, or you may end up floating a valve.

C3L1CA 07-15-2013 08:41 AM

^Very good advice.

If it were me I'd let it buck if the valve springs didn't have a ton of miles on them. If they did, I'd reaplace them with something cheap but will get the job done. No need to go crazy for your goals.

I rocked the dks regrind 272s on stock valve springs for a while making 450ish + on DB's dyno for what its worth without any problems.

blesi660r 07-15-2013 12:16 PM

Thanks for the input guys!!! for 200 bones I think I will take the high road and pick up a set of BC springs and titanium retainers and run stock valves.

blesi660r 07-15-2013 12:22 PM

Also I have no clue on milage of the head, had stockers in it when i got it , so far the head is getting decked and cleaned, and will have all new seals around, only thing im not doing is guides "well not yet at least"

goodhart 07-15-2013 12:24 PM

FP has their beehives on sale right now.

blesi660r 07-15-2013 01:01 PM

Besides map who do you guys go through... where are the fp ones on sale?.

C3L1CA 07-15-2013 01:15 PM

Hit up Jason at DB. They can usually get really good deals on stuff too, plus closer to you being north.

blesi660r 07-15-2013 01:31 PM

Will do thank you.

turbotalon1g 07-15-2013 03:26 PM

I only read your goals and cam size.

I'd say 100% evo valve stuff and that will have you covered for good amount of RPM and even cam. It's what I'm going to be getting here shortly.

blesi660r 07-15-2013 03:32 PM

Im going to do some searching in dsmtuners on both the evo springs and BC.

CornFed2.4 07-15-2013 04:12 PM

You can get evo springs for dirt and you'll be fine.

blesi660r 07-15-2013 04:38 PM

I was doing some reading up on the evo springs , and I think im going to go bc with titanium retainers