MitsuStyle

MitsuStyle (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tuning/Electrical (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   1G DSM ignition woes (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35858)

CarPsyco84 06-07-2017 06:00 PM

1G DSM ignition woes

So, I'm running out of idea's to solving my WOT misfire. 35ish psi, higher compression (9.6:1) 2g pistons. AFR's 11.5-12 on the gauge(When it fires), E85.

Things I've tried:
-More spark power, bought a Dynatek with the plug/harness to work with stock coils

-Different plug heat range, tried BR8es(too cold) BR7ES(look good, still miss) BPR8ES, only hit it once, and at stock gap, missed so bad I lost most of the boost.

-Ohm'd out the coil pack, primary and secondary, then swapped to another one anyway (that also ohms out good).

-Swapped Power Transistor, made no difference.

-Dynatek is set to crank, rising edge, restrike (though that shouldn't matter above 4500 rpm), in the engine bay power wires mounted right to the battery posts with terminals.

-I've tried clocking the plugs with the electrode strap facing the intake side.

-I know the logic is just run a smaller gap, but at .018" it will still blow out, and generally seems to be getting worse, I have read about people with the dynatek's running with fairly large gaps (.028-.035) at 600whp, That might be a bit much. But anything below .020" is really annoying on the highway cause of the periodic missfire, even with restrike on. I'd question that, but with a stock gap the car runs perfect till you get to 25 psi, then it blows them right out.

Has anyone fought with this before? And what did you end up doing? I am hearing about guys direct wiring their ecu to the dynatek, and skipping the Power transistor... but was hoping to avoid too much more hacking of the wiring harness, does this even make a difference?

I know e85 dsm and ignition is a battle, but I really thought this Dynatek was going to be the answer, and I'm just not seeing much of a gain at the moment, any idea's?

Goat Blower 06-08-2017 09:08 AM

Re: 1G DSM ignition woes

DSM's have a pretty decent stock ignition system, I'd look to see if there's any bad components you're missing. How are the plug wires?

CarPsyco84 06-08-2017 12:14 PM

Wires have been swapped. Have 2 sets of kv85's.

turbotalon1g 06-08-2017 02:33 PM

Magnacraps?
try NGK or even a decent set of store brands

CarPsyco84 06-08-2017 05:16 PM

Those wires aren't known for being that good eh? I don't buy that low impedance logic that MSD brags about, but maybe its more important with a CDI box? I have another set of cheap wires kicking around, maybe i'll try them next, just see if there's a difference...

Course maybe it won't miss if the rotating assembly isn't loose...

turbotalon1g 06-08-2017 08:24 PM

That's what people called them way back when I was first messing with these cars. I've seen people to 700 whp with parts store mismatched wires even.

Good luck.