MitsuStyle

MitsuStyle (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Good Stuff (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Air Filter Shootout Test - Results! (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21813)

311evo 01-04-2009 10:51 AM

Re: Air Filter Shootout Test - Results!

^ lol.

Good test guys!

MustGoFaster 01-04-2009 11:09 AM

Good stuff, thanks for the testing. Makes me :( because I already have a K&N on order. But I don't think I could fit two of those in my engine bay.

scheides 01-04-2009 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goat Blower (Post 271129)
I did, these two clowns almost ran me off the road as I was getting on to 169 from 55. I was in the silver Mercedes trying to wave to Scheides, but he was too cool to look over. :madashell::lol:

Haha sorry man! All I could see was your black leather glove after I waved you over, then I just didn't look over when we passed ya, sorry man! I was at work till almost 4am Friday night/sat morning, then up early for this test so I was *really* glazed over at that point!

Nice car though ;)

Kracka 01-04-2009 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MustGoFaster (Post 271160)
Good stuff, thanks for the testing. Makes me :( because I already have a K&N on order. But I don't think I could fit two of those in my engine bay.

What are the dimensions of the air filters you ordered? Also, why not just run one filter on the MAS?

Jaei Sun 01-04-2009 01:57 PM

Not sure how much of an effect this would have but, I've read over on 3si that the oiled filters can cause problems with the MAS. When the filter is soaked with too much oil (like you mentioned with the Perrin), it gets coated on the sensor element.

Kracka 01-04-2009 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaei Sun (Post 271173)
Not sure how much of an effect this would have but, I've read over on 3si that the oiled filters can cause problems with the MAS. When the filter is soaked with too much oil (like you mentioned with the Perrin), it gets coated on the sensor element.

Over-oiled filters can cause a problem, but properly oiled ones will not. If your MAS does become dirty just get some MAF Cleaner Spray from the car parts store; I actually picked some up this morning for $7 since the Vibrant filter let too much crap through and coated my MAS in dirt/dust. The Perrin was drenched in oil which is why I rubbed some of it off but unlike previous years the K&N's are no longer over-oiled from the factory so they were good to go straight from the box.

scheides 01-04-2009 04:08 PM

I don't think anyone mentioned the details of this one yet, but the SMALL K&N filter we tested was about 2.5" of filter media in a cylinder, it fit really well but it was *HILARIOUS* hearing this filter on the dyno. The intake sounded like when you stick a vacuum nozzle on your skin, pffffffffwwwwwtttttt!!!!! The car was obviously not getting the air it needed and it would knock randomly, making it perform super inconsistently.

Also, we made it a point to not test the stock airbox. It's been widely proven that aftermarket intakes make power over stock, even with tuning. Let's not kid ourselves here. Besides, that would then require us to change the intake pipe, put on the air box, blah blah blah. Too many variables to change! Besides, I took off all of the brackets for my stock box almost 3 years ago. I have them, but hell if I'm putting them back on the car!

Incidently, my old-style buschur filter is officially for sale; pm me reasonable offers ;)

Halon 01-04-2009 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scheides (Post 271193)
I don't think anyone mentioned the details of this one yet, but the SMALL K&N filter we tested was about 2.5" of filter media in a cylinder, it fit really well but it was *HILARIOUS* hearing this filter on the dyno. The intake sounded like when you stick a vacuum nozzle on your skin, pffffffffwwwwwtttttt!!!!! The car was obviously not getting the air it needed and it would knock randomly, making it perform super inconsistently.

That's exactly what I was trying to say. Both the K&N's looks smaller then the better performing ones, which I would think would be part of the reason it put down smaller numbers. I know I don't buy a filter because it's the part number for my car, I go on their site, research the dimensions available, and buy the biggest one I can fit in that location.

Kracka 01-04-2009 04:20 PM

Scheides is talking about the small K&N not the large FIPK one. The large K&N has just as much surface area as the Vibrant, Amsoil, Buschur, etc. due to its very large base. It is K&N's choice filter for the Evo. The FIPK filter is MUCH larger than it appears in pictures. The only reason we tested the small K&N was because it was sent to me for free and it fit the Vibrant MAF adapter. The FIPK filter used a special K&N MAF adapter due to its large size. Also, as I previously mentioned, CBRD tested a K&N filter identical in dimension to the other cones we used and the Perrin still beat it by ~10whp.

scheides 01-04-2009 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halon (Post 271194)
That's exactly what I was trying to say. Both the K&N's looks smaller then the better performing ones, which I would think would be part of the reason it put down smaller numbers. I know I don't buy a filter because it's the part number for my car, I go on their site, research the dimensions available, and buy the biggest one I can fit in that location.

The FIPK K&N is what K&N recommends for the car. The surface area of the filter media is more than enough to make it comparable to these other filters. If you got one that fit the adapter we had and got it to be the same roughly 5" or 6" length as the others in this test, it would probably perform very similarly to the FIPK filter tested.

Kracka 01-05-2009 05:46 PM

Dyno chart added to the first post.

mdost03 01-05-2009 10:29 PM

Was doing some thinking and couldn't this test be somewhat bias since your car is tuned for the Buscher filter Scheides? Wouldn't it be a better to test a stock EVO (non-flashed ECU) and swap out filters?

A//// Guy 01-05-2009 10:39 PM

Cool test guys! Interesting results too.

Swifty1638 01-05-2009 10:57 PM

I think the K+N didn't do well because they also have too much oil on them..doesn't allow for much AIr to flow through..

-A. Swift

scheides 01-05-2009 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by totaleclipse_05 (Post 271425)
Was doing some thinking and couldn't this test be somewhat bias since your car is tuned for the Buscher filter Scheides? Wouldn't it be a better to test a stock EVO (non-flashed ECU) and swap out filters?

Yes, but the simple fact is that you cannot get that same filter anymore, so it doesn't hardly matter that it won, except to me...looking for what will be best to run and make power above what I already ahve :) The car was untuned for all the rest of the filters, some of which performed very close to the same. AFR and boost was kept (rather, stayed) very close, so it was as level of a playing field for all the other filters.

scheides 01-05-2009 11:45 PM

http://www.scheides.com/albums/evo-a...re_4.sized.jpg

http://www.scheides.com/albums/evo-a...re_5.sized.jpg

http://www.scheides.com/albums/evo-a...re_6.sized.jpg

http://www.scheides.com/albums/evo-a...re_7.sized.jpg

http://www.scheides.com/albums/evo-a...re_8.sized.jpg

Kracka 01-06-2009 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swifty1638 (Post 271428)
I think the K+N didn't do well because they also have too much oil on them..doesn't allow for much AIr to flow through..

-A. Swift

The K&N filters were fresh from the factory sealed back and I was impressed with the proper oiling of them. Unlike years previous, they no logger seem over-oiled from the factory. Plain and simple, K&N got a fair shake in the test and they under-performed.

Kracka 01-06-2009 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by totaleclipse_05 (Post 271425)

We chose to test with a modded Evo since they flow a lot more air and therefore are much more demanding of the filter's ability to flow air. The MAF was not tuned for any of the currently available air filters.

Goat Blower 01-06-2009 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scheides (Post 271161)
Haha sorry man! All I could see was your black leather glove after I waved you over, then I just didn't look over when we passed ya, sorry man! I was at work till almost 4am Friday night/sat morning, then up early for this test so I was *really* glazed over at that point!

Nice car though ;)

I was just messing with ya. My buddy in the car is a real car guy as well and I told him a couple of EVO buddies were coming up on us fast. He was impressed when I told him what you're putting down for street numbers. He's got a newer yellow 911 right now that he drives on nice days.

scheides 01-06-2009 10:38 AM

haha I bet he was even more impressed when he saw how awesomely unclean my car was! Funny that you spotted us like that, maybe my HID's grabbed your attention? :)