MitsuStyle

MitsuStyle (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/index.php)
-   Official MitsuStyle.com Topics (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   The official Deer Hunting thread. (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24887)

goodhart 11-06-2009 09:01 AM

The official Deer Hunting thread.

Not sure what I have to do to make it official so I'm doin it right off the bat!

Post up any deer hunting success here, pics of your guns, stands, kills, stories, etc.

I will post pics of my stand (AKA: deer killer 9000) when I get a chance.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikegoodhart/5190660753/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikegoo...n/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikegoo...n/photostream/

A//// Guy 11-06-2009 09:08 AM

Re: The official Deer Hunting thread.

Im sad im not going this year, but I went last year for my first time ever.

Got a 4 point buck the second day, not too bad. :D I was up in Virginia at my dads friends hunting shack.

My dads currently on his way to Colorado to hunt for Elk.

Spikesoftail 11-06-2009 09:14 AM

I'm glad to hear theres other deer hunters on the forum. I'm tryin to get everything done at the shop so I can close early. Then I'll be on my way up to Willow river to see what I can get this week.

goodhart 11-06-2009 10:18 AM

I should add that I am sadly not deer hunting this year because my son will be born soon.
I figured as soon as I got in the stand, the ol lady would go into labor :lol:

deadeye 11-06-2009 12:34 PM

Ya, I hate to say it but Im not going this year as well. I haven't even gotten to go duck hunting yet this season :( . I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only hunter on here though.

Too much car crap to deal with. Hopefully, this weekend will be the end of it though. I got the timing belt and h20 pump done on my moms v6 solara, and the p.s. pump, load adjuster shocks, plugs and coils done on my dads durango all last weekend. This weekend Im finally working on my own car, the alternator and welding a new flange on the downpipe and a final thrashing down to uni should end the car season for me.

Good luck to the guys n gals that do get to go! Shouldn't be too cold sitting up in the tree stand this weekend.

A//// Guy 11-20-2009 02:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well my dad just came back from Colorado on Wednesday from a week long Elk hunt, unfortunetly it was too warm and they didnt get anything.

But he went up north last night, and this is what he got this morning. haha

6 Pointer

95talonracer 11-20-2009 08:07 PM

It doesn't look like there are too many hunters on here.

goodhart 11-04-2010 03:30 PM

2 days and a wake up! Where is everybody going to hunt? What is your weapon of choice? This WHOLE forum can't be a bunch of yuppies can it? lol

I use a Mossberg Model 695 with Hornady SST Sabot's. Thing is a friggen nail driver for a 12 gauge. First year I used it I killed an 8 pointer first shot at 120 yards running. He went ass over tea kettle and fell dead like a pile of shit. The last two years I have been able to hunt, I got another 8 pointer at about 50 yards standing and dropped him like a ton of bricks without a twitch, and 2 years ago (my last year to deer hunt) I got a 6 pointer at about 30-40 yards with the same result. I love this gun.

Lets hear some more stories/details!!

Mossberg 695:
http://picturearchive.auctionarms.co...thumbnail1.jpg

Hornady's:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...%3FN%3D1100191

A//// Guy 11-04-2010 03:43 PM

It actually looks like Ill be going this year after all in Wisconsin near my rents new property close to hudson.

We are going to borrow shotguns from a buddy since thats the only thing you can use in that area, its sort of residential. haha

First hunt was 2 years ago when I got a 4 pointer the second day out up in northern MN. It was probably only 50 yards away, and I was using a .243 rifle.

GsXtUrBo98 11-04-2010 03:58 PM

I'm on my way up to walker mn as we speak. 30-6 is my choice of distruction.

19TsiAwd90 11-04-2010 04:57 PM

leaving tomorrow morning and i use a remington 7400 auto 30-06 with my new 2.5-10X44 sightron(makes glass and optics for burris and someone else cant remember who else) cant wait to take a nap in the stand hahaha

goodhart 11-04-2010 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A//// Guy (Post 364596)
I got a 2 pointer

That's called a button buck, lol

A//// Guy 11-04-2010 09:42 PM

Oops mistyped that haha, it was a 4 pointer. 2 pointer would be a spike lol.

goodhart 11-04-2010 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A//// Guy (Post 364664)
Oops mistyped that haha, it was a 4 pointer. 2 pointer would be a spike lol.

Well, depending on the length of the tines yes. Under about 1" would be considered a "button buck" IMO. Technically they have to have at least one antler 3" long to not be considered a doe by the MN DNR.

A//// Guy 11-04-2010 10:43 PM

A doe is a female though, they dont grow antlers. haha

Yea 1" or less would be button, ive never seen one, only spike and larger.

goodhart 11-05-2010 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A//// Guy (Post 364688)
A doe is a female though, they dont grow antlers. haha

Well, just saying if they don't have one antler 3" or longer, you have to use a doe tag on it. :)

goodhart 11-08-2010 12:47 AM

Well, didn't shoot anything this weekend. Saw 3 does on Saturday morning, and a yearling tonight. Was wandering around between 80-100 yards away out in the alfalfa according to the range finder, it stuck around for about 45 minutes or so, 30 of which I got on my video camera. Was too small to shoot IMO, my buddies little brother passed on it as well. I was kind of hoping he would take it, because it would be his first deer, and that would be bad ass to get your first kill on tape, whether it is Bambi or a 30 point buck.

We didn't get totally skunked though, one guy in our party of 6 got a nice sized doe, probably between 150-175 dressed just by eyeballing it. He shot it with his .44 Magnum, running shot in the neck. Had to have been one hell of a shot to hit it running with that big ass revolver. (You can use pistols in shotgun zone)

I also got some pics up of DeerKiller 9000 (My deer stand) I'll post them up soon as I get a chance. Anyone else slay anything this weekend?

GsXtUrBo98 11-08-2010 07:22 AM

I'm still in my stand but I shot a pretty good sized 8 pointer. Will post pics when I get home.

GsXtUrBo98 11-08-2010 04:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Shot my deer at 4pm on opener. 11/6/2010

8 point typical

goodhart 11-19-2010 09:10 PM

Kind of forgot about this thread...

Well, my season was unsuccessful, opening night I saw two fawns and a small doe, probably a yearling. After that, I didn't see a thing. I blame it on the shit weather, deer don't move in the wind, especially when it has ~12" of wet snow coming with it :( I figured for sure Sunday night after the snow/wind let up for a bit, they would show their faces after being cooped up in the woods for the last 36 or so hours. They never came.

But, our party of 6 guys ended up with 2 deer, the one decent sized doe, and then my old man shot a TINY ass button buck the Monday night after opening weekend. Should be a decent amount of beer sticks/sausage for the 6 of us!

Behold Deer Killer 9000.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4092/...d7e480509b.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5081/...3180d055a0.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4111/...aea2c80fa5.jpg

t-revzr 11-19-2010 09:18 PM

Goodhart are you at a resort in there or what lol?

goodhart 11-19-2010 09:21 PM

hahaha My dad calls it "The condo"

He has a bad back/knees/shoulder/every other joint/bone in his body, so that's why we built it. I usually take turns between this thing and a ladder stand down the tree line.

mondale 11-19-2010 09:45 PM

Going down southwest to Currie, MN. Thompson 50 cal is the deathweapon for me lol. First buck that i shot was on a shitty cold day. I was slug hunting that year and was sitting behind a round bail on a hill in a field. I sat for an hour freezing my ass off and then heard it running along the fence line. Pegged him right in the vitals and he went ass over antlers. Run over to where he was laying and was pumped to see it was a decent 8 pointer (def not a wall hanger haha). About 10 seconds later i hear a truck wot coming towards me from the other side of the hill i was sitting on. Turns out this guy was chasing the buck down the fence line in his super duty haha. He stopped the truck, then proceeded to get out of his truck and cuss at me for shooting HIS deer :jackoff:. I tagged the deer and told him kick rocks.
**I also party hunt with a guy that shot a fawn so small that he put it in an old tire and rolled it down a hill lol.

goodhart 11-19-2010 11:42 PM

^^ haha

I also made a little video of the stand. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBLVVQBzpiQ&hd=1

TalonFiero 11-20-2010 09:57 AM

My two brothers, my cousin and my brother in law all got deer this morning. Crazy.

Venison for me! Told them to send me the bill. :D

A//// Guy 11-20-2010 06:20 PM

Awesome shack GH! Sucky on not getting any deer.

I went out today with my dad for WI opener. Its only shotgun hunting in the area we were in, so we only had one borrowed gun. My dad missed a really nice sized doe about 75 yards away. No scope really sucks. haha

We are going to go out Thursday morning and over the weekend. It was freezing today.

goodhart 11-06-2011 05:30 PM

One year drought ended yesterday for me killing deer. :D

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...84600765_n.jpg

=

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...89751967_n.jpg

Shot her as she was trotting away from me, got her diagonally from the back of her rib cage, up through the lungs and out the front ribcage on the other side, went through and shattered 9 ribs, foamy blood everywhere in/around her and lungs were pretty much gone when I gutted it. Shot in Isanti, MN

Got her about 6pm, we (Dad and I usually sit together) were watching 2 small does graze in the field each debating whether or not to take one. When we heard a bunch of shooting to the south, 2 more got spooked and came through the pines behind us from where the shooting was. This was one of the two. They weren't running, but moving at a pretty good pace, so I had to hurry up and launch one down range at one, I picked the biggest one. She was probably in the 140-160 range dressed, not huge, but a pretty good size doe. I dropped her with the first shot, but she then she got back up and ran a ways. I cracked one more off at her through one of the front windows of the stand and missed, knowing I hit her HARD with the first shot (saw a huge poof of dust fly off her and heard it hit pretty easily) and knowing she wouldn't be going far, I figured I might as well take one last mercy shot (My Mossberg 695 only holds 3 rounds) at one of the remaining 3 deer and shot out the other front window.

Dad took a poke at another one after I fired the first shot. It is INCREDIBLY hard to tell how big deer are when they are all stretched out running at full tilt (more on that later). He took a crack anyways, and dropped one at a dead run at 175 yards (verified with our range finder afterwards) with open sights on 870 express w/ a rifled slug barrel. Damn good shot IMHO! Dad's deer had 2 holes in it, so we can't tell if my 3rd shot hit it, or if 2 of his shots hit it. He shot 3 times. He hit the thing right through the damn back straps though :( When we went to go find them, his had died right where he shot it pretty much, not much to track.

So, off to tracking this thing. I haven't had to track a deer in years and years, my last 3 or 4 weren't able to take 1 step, they were dead where they stood. This bitch was only a lung shot and ran a small distance. So I run out to where she hit the ground and find this:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...67703366_n.jpg

OK sweet, a good starting point. Followed that, drop here, drop there, about every 5-10 feet I'd find a few drops of blood on corn stalks, or turned up fresh dirt, tracks, etc. Followed that for probably 40-50 feet until I could see the direction she went into the trees at and then just walked right up to the tree line to look for more sign. Found a few more drops, walked in a ways and spotted this:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...86395220_n.jpg

And just on the other side of that log I saw this:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...36442126_n.jpg

Thank god she tripped on that log or she may have kept going for a quite a ways. By that mark she had made it about 30-40 yards into the trees from the opening I shot at her in. I dragged her ass out of the woods and went to go help dad, as I walked up on his deer, I just started laughing. His deer had probably outgrown its spots by about 6 months at the most, it was tiny! haha I kept giving him shit last night that he shot a German Shepherd. His was probably 75 lbs dressed. LMAO

Anyways, here is the father son combo right here, pretty cool we shot them at the same time while standing about 3 feet from each other. First time we have done that deer hunting. So, at the end of the night we had 2 deer, 1 cool story, and 2 windows to replace. :D

Mine of right, Dad's on left:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...92600126_n.jpg

cman3000 11-06-2011 09:59 PM

Got a 7 pointer opening morning. Il post a pic later

niterydr 11-06-2011 11:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got this 6 pointer Sunday night. For all intents and purposes it is 5 "full size" points and 1 broken off one in a "nub", estimated weight 120lbs, should be good eats. Estimate him to be 2 years of age, coming into year 3 by size.

Weapon: 30-30, 150 grain bullet
Shots: 1
Conditions: 4:35pm, sun setting, ground hunting in brush
Distance: 10-15 feet, needed to be a ninja to pull this shot off as he was CLOSE and for most of the time staring straight at me.
Kill location: Ottertail, MN. 15 acre "island" forest, across the highway from an 80 acre woods and surrounded by 75 acres of downed corn fields. Terrain is overgrown brush, very thick, swamp, and downed trees.

First time out deer hunting, couldn't be happier after spending 15 hours in the woods. Only deer I saw all weekend, only shot I took. He dropped like a sack of potatoes, lifted his head for a few seconds (while on the ground), and that was that.

(Well I nearly hit a beautiful buck on the way home tonight from hunting, probably a 12 pointer, lost count at 10, he was clearly visible standing in the road and was as tall as the hood (back) of my 2500hd truck, so this was the only deer I saw at the time of shooting).
To bad I couldn't have stayed up north a few more days to stalk the 8 pointer my uncle has seen over the last few months, that deer will be happy I took care "of this little problem" for him.

asshanson 11-07-2011 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodhart (Post 395290)
and 2 windows to replace

I haven't been deer hunting yet (hope to go next year for my first time), so I don't know the logistics of having a shelter set up, but do you mean to say you shot through the glass? You didn't have the windows open? I know there isn't any time to react if the windows are closed, it's just surprising to me you would shoot through the glass (and that it didn't affect the slug trajectory), haha.

This thread makes me want to go with my dad hunting this year, I just don't have a shotgun of my own yet. I'd really like to hunt with the M1A but it's not allowed in Iowa.

goodhart 11-07-2011 05:31 AM

Yea, we had the windows up because it was so windy. I didn't think we would even see anything with how windy it was, and the wind wasn't in our favor either, the wind was at our back blowing right towards the deer. It is only 1/8" plexiglass though, idk how much that would effect a slug's trajectory. With the way the Hornady's jump anyways, it might not matter.

Hornady SST 12 ga Shotgun:

50 yds- +2.4"
100 yds- +2.7"
150 yds- flat
200 yds- -6.7"

1QUICK4 11-07-2011 07:25 AM

Went out for the first time ever this weekend. The deer gods must've been smilin' on me. Had a trophy 8 pointer shot through the lung and on the ground by 9:30am Saturday.

Poor bastard was blinded by the poonanny.

goodhart 11-07-2011 08:29 PM

Y U NO post pictures of dead antlered forest rat ?

1QUICK4 11-07-2011 09:32 PM

Pics on buddy's phone. :(

pkron05 11-07-2011 11:04 PM

3 pointer is from last year. 8 pointer from this Sat.
I've been very lucky. Shot both opening day before 8:30 a.m. of each year.
3 pointer was used for a rattle. 8 pointer is going on the wall.
3 pointer took two to the heart before dropping. 8 pointer took one to the throat and one to the gut from a neighbor who can't shoot for shit before he went down.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f8...5/IMG_0866.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f8...Picture002.jpg

A//// Guy 11-08-2011 09:07 AM

Nice deer guys!

I went up to Marcel MN, past Grand Rapids on Friday morning through last night. Had a ton of fun with my dad and 2 other guys, but we all got skunked. I saw 6 deer (all does and 2 were fawns) the entire trip, but none I had a good shot at. The other guys saw a couple a piece, but they were either running full sprint past them or they were directly behind their stand walking past. This happened to me too with 2 of the does, but I couldn't turn fast enough before they took off.

It was tough hunting for sure, especially in thick swampy woods with the wind howling at 20mph the entire trip. But still had a blast and will be out there possibly again this weekend closer to the cities for a day.

Otherwise I have WI opener to look forward to in a couple of weeks. Ill be hunting near hudson, so that wont be too far away. Going to go quite a bit, so hopefully we get one.

goodhart 11-08-2011 09:42 AM

I was amazed at how much the deer were moving with how strong the wind was this last weekend. Usually they will hunker down for at least a few days until they finally get desperate and come out to show their face. Or if bucks get good and horny and stupid while they are in hard rut they will come out regardless, but where I was we saw probably 6-8 different does and probably 3 more yearlings, not one buck, and they were still moving.

19TsiAwd90 11-08-2011 04:46 PM

got my first deer/buck(spiker) opening morning at about 8:30 from a stand we had set up the night before because i hadn't seen anything out of my perminat stand for the last 2 years.

1QUICK4 11-08-2011 05:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by goodhart (Post 395372)
. Or if bucks get good and horny and stupid while they are in hard rut they will come out regardless

I know that is the only reason I got mine. He was chasing a doe loud as hell, snortin' and stompin' around. Thought he was going to jump into my stand. I had to yell to get him to stop twice. 2nd time he gave me a perfect shot at around 20 yds. The fawker was covered in piss :lol:

Shatty cell pics below

19TsiAwd90 11-08-2011 06:06 PM

NICE BUCK! you look every excited too lol adrenaline still pumping?