MitsuStyle

MitsuStyle (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tuning/Electrical (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   need some help!!! (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31999)

rx_08 08-28-2012 12:14 PM

need some help!!!

Alright so here is the deal. I was driving down 94 the night before the cookout, and all of a sudden my car stutters a bit and loses power. I pull over to the side and the car dies on me. The cranks just fine but wont start up. I unplug the maf sensor and crank it, the car starts up and idles fine but when i plug in the maf sensor the car shuts off instantly. I've replaced the maf and the tps already and still the same results. Oh yea and the car is a gvr4 by the way.

mods:
2g maf
evo 560s
walbro 255
chip from shane for the set up

I am pretty lost at the moment on how to go about this situation. I've tried looking up similar symptoms online but no positive results. So if any of you guys have had similar situation and could give me a few ways on how you guys went about it, that would be awesome.

95talonracer 08-28-2012 03:12 PM

Re: need some help!!!

02 sensors? Or the wiring to them?

timschot 08-28-2012 03:51 PM

You recently move any grounds?

rx_08 08-28-2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 95talonracer (Post 412962)
02 sensors? Or the wiring to them?

no haven't really messed with the O2 sensor at all and I haven't touched any grounds.

timschot 08-28-2012 07:41 PM

Grab someone else's known-good MAF, see if it does the same thing. And/or see if yours works in their car. Just start eliminating causes.

rx_08 08-28-2012 08:44 PM

Yea that's where I'm lost now haha

johnson 08-28-2012 09:07 PM

Could it be flooding the engine? Fouling plugs?

timschot 08-28-2012 10:23 PM

He said it runs w/o the maf, and dies as soon as he plugs it in.

Are there any codes showing?

If not, make sure it's not a coincidence. Does it die if you just let it sit for a while with the maf unplugged? Does it always die the second you plug the maf in?

If you can verify there are no codes and it is definitely occurring when the maf is plugged in ONLY, then you either have a maf, wiring, or maybe an ecu problem. You could try resetting the ecu (just unplug the battery and go watch a tv show or something), but your best bet is just finding someone with the same maf that is in obvious working order and swapping it. If your car runs with their maf, then it's your maf. If not, then it's something else. Corroded wires, rusted out grounds, blown fuse/relay... good luck.

Pushit2.0 08-28-2012 10:50 PM

Pull the ECU and pull the cover off and look for burnt stuff, and if it smells like rotten fish there are issues. If you unplug the MAF it should default to RPM vs TPS, so either you have another bad MAF, faulty wirering, dropped tune, or an issue in the ECU.

CornFed2.4 08-29-2012 01:43 AM

Did you clean the pins on the maf pigtail? Boost leak test? Having the maf plug off will throw it in limp mode and allow it to run rich with major leaks. As soon as you plug it in it will read normal but die cause of leaks

rx_08 08-29-2012 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pushit2.0 (Post 413001)
Pull the ECU and pull the cover off and look for burnt stuff, and if it smells like rotten fish there are issues. If you unplug the MAF it should default to RPM vs TPS, so either you have another bad MAF, faulty wirering, dropped tune, or an issue in the ECU.

I checked the ecu and there were no burnt caps or anything, and as for the maf it was running fine with the 2g maf for a few weeks now just recently died. Replaced maf with another and same results.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CornFed2.4 (Post 413003)
Did you clean the pins on the maf pigtail? Boost leak test? Having the maf plug off will throw it in limp mode and allow it to run rich with major leaks. As soon as you plug it in it will read normal but die cause of leaks

I have not checked for corroded pins yet so ill do that, and I've done a boost leak test already and no major boost leak but ill probably do it again.

Thanks again ill try these ideas and see if it works.

JET 08-29-2012 11:55 AM

Check the fuse for the alternator, they do all kinds of crazy stuff if that blows and no 2 cars seem to do the same thing. After that I would agree with John and try out another ECU.

talonite 08-29-2012 12:31 PM

sure you dont just have a massive air leak?

rx_08 08-29-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JET (Post 413024)
Check the fuse for the alternator, they do all kinds of crazy stuff if that blows and no 2 cars seem to do the same thing. After that I would agree with John and try out another ECU.

yea i've tried another ecu already and same thing happens. so ill have to check for corrosion in the wires or boost leak test again.

johnson 08-29-2012 09:57 PM

Do you have any gas?

I checked it out tonight, it runs fine with the maf plugged in, as long as i am manually blowing air through it.... Feels like there is no suction of air from intake at all? So either im thinking a major boost/vacuum leak or NO gas! Hahaha..... Other than that i got it to run with the maf plugged in!

rx_08 08-30-2012 03:50 AM

gas was pretty low but it was running with maf unplugged.... haha so I don't know..

rx_08 11-21-2012 02:15 PM

Alright so I've finally found some time to mess with the car again and I switched out the tps, tried a few mafs, did boost leak test, and no corrosion on pigtails but car is still not running...... Damn, help me out...

Goat Blower 11-21-2012 02:49 PM

Pull the plugs after it runs poorly and see if it's running super rich or super lean, then trace back from there.

rx_08 11-21-2012 11:33 PM

I don't have a wideband.

CornFed2.4 11-24-2012 10:49 PM

You don't need a wideband to look at your plugs to see if its rich or lean.