MitsuStyle

MitsuStyle (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/index.php)
-   Auto Insurance (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   illegaly parked car backed into (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17014)

kennydawgg 09-20-2007 05:48 PM

illegaly parked car backed into

so I was at work and I stopped my car perpendicular to the others parked in the stalls. I ran inside to talk to my boss and in the mean time a prick in an escalade backed into me. he hit my right front headlight with his rear right bumper. my bumper( a fiberglass body kit one) was destroyed and my headlight was broken. his bumper has a black mark on it.

he says its my fault because I was illegally parked, but I say its his because he hit a stationary object. I found many sites on the net that say its 100% his fault but his insurance company says that they will notify my insurance company and possible a claim will be made against me. As a young driver I have a spotless record and I am in preferred insurance. if i loose that status my insurance goes up 100 dollars a month without any points.

I just wanted to get some input to determine if it is worth taking the risk of a possibility of it going on my record.

any thoughts.

thanks
kenny

Matt D. 09-20-2007 06:16 PM

Re: illegaly parked car backed into

I've seen this come up a few times before, you are not at fault, though with Minnesota insurance laws you are at fault for being in the accident to begin with. :)

Hoffer00 09-20-2007 07:03 PM

You will get a parking ticket, but they are at fault, because of the last chance law. They had the last chance to avoid the accident.

Matt D. 09-20-2007 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoffer00 (Post 209418)
You will get a parking ticket

How? It's private property and not a handicap zone.

Hoffer00 09-20-2007 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennydawgg (Post 209402)
so I was at work and I stopped my car perpendicular to the others parked in the stalls.

Double parked, in a lot or on the street it doesn't matter.

kennydawgg 09-20-2007 11:14 PM

it was a private parking lot, i dont think I can get a ticket this far after the accident it happened yesterday.

Kracka 09-20-2007 11:16 PM

Why didn't you just park correctly in the first place?

Goat Blower 09-20-2007 11:22 PM

You should be fine.

dylan 09-21-2007 01:20 AM

hmm talk to your insurance agent.

A//// Guy 09-21-2007 09:07 AM

My car was hit while parked and its all coming out of the other dudes insurance, I dont have to pay a dime for anything, nor does it affect my insurance.

Park normally next time...

jhaan_dude 09-21-2007 11:23 AM

i had my car parked on a 4 lane street CLEARLY VISIBLE and some lady rear ended my blazer, it was like one of 5 cars on the street. i was %10 liable by the state but her insurance will cover everything. dont listen to what that jackass said to you because he cannot come after by state law! he is liable because he was in the drivers seat and you were not, so he is %90 liable and you a messily %10, SO SLEEP EASY AND LET THE INSURANCE KILL HIS ASS!!!!:guns: :punch:

MATCHBX 09-21-2007 11:54 AM

If it's on private property and the property owner did not complain about the parking, no ticket can be issued.

As far as at fault, that depends on how good your insurance company is. If you really want to be technical, you should be at fault for not parking correctly in the first place. Granted he should have watched for your car. But depending on where you were parked in vicinity to his vehicle, he may not have known it was there (the whole big SUV and small car thing). And depending on what kind of vehicle you parked behind as to whether or not he could actually see it (if it was a van parked along side of you). I agree he should've been watching where he was backing, but you were clearly also wrong for parking where you did.

Hope things work out, next time follow the lines and you won't have to worry about it.

mdost03 09-21-2007 05:14 PM

He should be liable. I mean, what if he did it on purpose to try and get some cash from you. He hit you, not the other way around.

Scrmegl 09-23-2007 05:02 PM

Did you file a police report? If you can back up you were not in the car then it is not a moving violation on your insurance. A good agent can clarify how they rate you if you supply details of the accident. Your insurance company will investigate the accident and determine fault for you. If no tickets were issued then the only way to raise your rates is claim history. I am an Insurance agent so I have seen cases like this come in before. Its all in what they can verify.

Scrmegl 09-23-2007 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M/// Guy (Post 209502)
My car was hit while parked and its all coming out of the other dudes insurance, I dont have to pay a dime for anything, nor does it affect my insurance.

Park normally next time...

This is how it usually works if you report it when it happens and were not in the vehicle.