MitsuStyle

MitsuStyle (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/index.php)
-   Brakes / Body / Suspension (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Over revving issue (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23385)

niterydr 06-02-2009 07:50 AM

Re: Over revving issue

If you are pulling the trans and the head, you might just want to pull the motor/trans together and pull it apart. Put the engine on a stand to work on it, and put the trans aside and inspect it.

TalonFiero 06-02-2009 08:54 AM

Brandon, flywheel/clutches love to come apart or loosen up on over revs. I speak from experience and I popped my CAS plug off too!

My flywheel bolts cam loose on the over-rev. Clutch acted funny and the flywheel vibrated so badly on the over-rev that the the crank to flywheel mating surface was pitted with molten metal.

Halon 06-02-2009 08:58 AM

The bearings will be replaced if they look like the need it. If they look fine, then no.

We will see more once I get things taken apart.

Jim, with your issue, what all had to be done then because of that pitting? Was the motor trash?

scheides 06-02-2009 09:06 AM

No, his motor is still running! I remember jim taking the tranny off to tighten the flywheel bolts and getting a ride in it shortly thereafter!

Super Bleeder!! 06-02-2009 09:12 AM

I've had flywheel bolt issues before. Shit was so gay.

I went crazy and used longer 3sgte ARP bolts along with nordlocks and loctite!

Kracka 06-02-2009 09:13 AM

Same thing happened to a S2k buddy of mine after he over-revved. His "engine" was making all sorts of noise so he figured he trashed the head and bent some valves, he had it trailered to the dealer and all they found were some loose flywheel bolts. They snugged them back up and the car was perfect again.

TalonFiero 06-02-2009 09:22 AM

Brandon, I didn't have a ton of metal friction weld, just a few smaller globs. Most of the the metal was transferred to the flywheel from the crank so I bought another flywheel. I had to clean up the crank by hand just a little, I have seen photos of much worse from others who have had their flywheel come loose on an over-rev. I have put another 17K miles on the engine with no issues.

Also my over rev wasn't too bad I believe it was just under 9,500rpms or right around there. It was just the sudden change in rpm that shook the flywheel loose. I have the 2.4 so I don't rev it too high to begin with.

SnoEclipse 06-02-2009 04:37 PM

OTOH, if you're this far into a teardown pull everything apart, get the cyl walls honed, get a flat edge on the cyl head and block, etc, etc.

Pull the tranny apart, check the levers and synchros, etc.

Polish/port the intake/exhaust runs, etc.

Put together with a torque wrench.

1QUICK4 06-02-2009 06:10 PM

Why would he want to hone the cylinders on his car right now?

FattyBoomBatty 06-02-2009 07:40 PM

Hone the cylinder walls. Trust me, I'm a doctor.

Kevin 1G Drummer 06-02-2009 07:42 PM

If you're gonna be ripping it all apart, you might as well just pull the motor and tranny all at once. It'll be easier in the long run.

1QUICK4 06-02-2009 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_1G_Drummer (Post 293220)
If you're gonna be ripping it all apart, you might as well just pull the motor and tranny all at once. It'll be easier in the long run.

+1

They slide in/out very easy as one unit, even on 3KGT's.

If you need to borrow a engine stand or hoist, or need some help let me know. I live pretty close.

Halon 06-02-2009 09:48 PM

I'm not going to re-hone/re-ring the motor. I don't see the point in that.

Update on everything so far:

- Got the head off. Everything on the head appears to be pretty good. Nothing jumped out as being obviouslly bad. My uncle owns an engine/machine shop in Minneapolis, where I will be bringing it for him to check out.

- Headgasket is blown in 3 spots. To all those telling me I was wasting my time removing the head, this is why the head was removed. I suspected head gasket issues for the past few months.

- I mentioned earlier that from under the car the pass axle looked goofy. Well today I got the wheel off and yeah that pass side axle is fubar'd. I didn't look at that close as today I was focusing on the head, not the tranny. Tomorrow I should get a better look at it though. All I can say right now is that I'm definately going to need a new pass side axle.

That's it for now. I'll post up pics once I get them uploaded.

Halon 06-02-2009 09:50 PM

Thanks for the offers everyone. But I'm keeping the block in the car. I have a cherry picker, but no engine stand. And I really don't have that much room in the garage, so the motor is going to stay in the car.

Brian, I don't have your number. You should PM it to me sometime and I can give you a ring if I am in a bind and maybe need a hand!

Halon 06-02-2009 10:10 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Carnage pics...

niterydr 06-03-2009 07:34 AM

Nice kill on that HG. Any determination as to why it blew?

Kevin 1G Drummer 06-03-2009 07:46 AM

Did the axle snap off in the tranny? It kinda looks like it in the pic. That might be a bit tough to get out...

Halon 06-03-2009 08:57 AM

No determination as to why it blew, other than I'm thinking I was lifting the head, and those areas are so close together that they probably just made a little path to eachother. Hopefully the new L19's can prevent this.

As fot the axle, yeah that is kinda what it looks like. I didn't spend much time looking at it as I was focused on removing the head. I'll find out more today though. Hoping to have the tranny off tonight.

A//// Guy 06-03-2009 09:00 AM

Nice carnage. Hope it goes back together smoothly!

1QUICK4 06-03-2009 09:09 AM

Sweet, Now I'm not the only one who has broken an axle off in the tranny!

Once you get the diff pin out it will tap out easy with a drass drift punch.