MitsuStyle

MitsuStyle (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/index.php)
-   Brakes / Body / Suspension (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Help decide my setup (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11644)

Shane55113 05-28-2006 09:27 PM

Help decide my setup

Ok, I have decided to make some purchases for my car finally and i would like some feedback before i commit to buying. So far my car is 100% stock except a MBC and a boost gauge. These are the parts I have but are not installed: Ported Evo 3 02 housing, 2g manifold ported on the outlet to 7cm, i also have a dsmlink coming to me in the mail soon.

The parts that I am considering are: PLX M-250 w/gauge, Walbro 250lhp and the rewire kit, Aeromotive afpr and the install kit with underhood gauge, 660cc injectors, Dejontool Evo3 downpipe(EDP-1gB), dejontool straight pipe exhaust with extra muffler(EXH-1gB), and finally the M.H.I. Evo 3 16g. of corse i'd order all necessary gaskets and such.

Now that i read this i realize i'd probably have to buy a new clutch. I only trust ACT so i'd get the 2600 and keep the stock flywheel.

The car i have has a little over 190k miles the head was rebuilt recently by the previous owner, i was wondering about the stock bottom end but i think i'll be good because i know it can handle a fair amount of power.

My goals for this car are to have 300-350whp Reliably.

sleepydsm 05-28-2006 10:09 PM

Re: Help decide my setup

Any intercooler upgrades?

Shane55113 05-28-2006 10:29 PM

I was thinking about a FMIC but then I remembered that the stock unit was good up untill 400hp, so i'll probably just fab up some hard IC piping. If i find out that i'm having problems with the IC then i will move to a FMIC.

HiImBrian 05-29-2006 01:01 AM

9 out of 10 guys will tell you that theres no such thing as 350 reliable whp :)

At-Least-It's-An-Evo 05-29-2006 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shane55113
I was thinking about a FMIC but then I remembered that the stock unit was good up untill 400hp, so i'll probably just fab up some hard IC piping. If i find out that i'm having problems with the IC then i will move to a FMIC.

Umm...no. Who lied to you? Wanna buy an Evo8 FMIC? It's at least better than your stock sidemount. :)

FattyBoomBatty 05-29-2006 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.98GSX
9 out of 10 guys will tell you that theres no such thing as 350 reliable whp :)

1 out of 10 guys owns a BBC.

Shane55113 05-29-2006 11:14 AM

damn, well i guess i'll have to buy a FMIC then, there pretty expensive so i was leaning away from it for now, but if i cant live without it i guess i'll have to.

Shane@DBPerformance 05-29-2006 11:27 AM

400hp on a stock sidemount intercooler?

scheides 05-29-2006 11:48 AM

Definitly upgrade the intercooler setup and all of the piping around it, the stock setup will probably get you by for a while, but any continuous boosting will heat-soak that stock IC very quickly. I ran the stock sidemount (and I/C piping) on my 1G for about a month after I installed a 20g. I wasn't proud of it, as I needed to drive my car, but it got me by until I had a better intercooler setup. For a 16g-setup you'll probably be fine for a while, but don't leave it out of your plans.

Shane55113 05-29-2006 02:43 PM

Any one have experience with ebay intercooler kits? They look alright, cuz its just pipes not like they need to be anything special, the only thing i see that bothers me is that there are no beads on the pipes, but my friends dad might be abel to weld some on for me.

Even the cheap kit on SBR are like $750 and dejontool kit is not what i'm looking for.

where are some other places to buy fmic kits?

blageo23 05-29-2006 02:44 PM

Shane, we need to speak in person about this stuff ;)

Jakey 05-29-2006 02:49 PM

Quote:

Even the cheap kit on SBR are like $750 and dejontool kit is not what i'm looking for.

What are you looking for?

Swifty1638 05-29-2006 03:03 PM

9 out of 10 eh? well, I guess it just depends on how you drive it.

CVD 05-29-2006 03:06 PM

I would suggest an Evo 16g and the biggest sidemount you can fit. Sidemounts arent great, but you worry a lot less about the cooling system that way. The stock sidemount is junk however.

At-Least-It's-An-Evo 05-29-2006 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CVD
I would suggest an Evo 16g and the biggest sidemount you can fit. Sidemounts arent great, but you worry a lot less about the cooling system that way. The stock sidemount is junk however.

Oh's noe's. 3/S fever has hit you.:) FMIC all the way. A properly maintained DSM cooling system should cause zero problems with a big ass FMIC in front of the radiator. My temps (after replacing all the faulty old cooling issue causers) on the white car and on the purple talon were 180-181 with my 12" tall 3.5" thick FMIC.

niterydr 05-29-2006 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by At-Least-It's-An-Evo
Oh's noe's. 3/S fever has hit you.:) FMIC all the way. A properly maintained DSM cooling system should cause zero problems with a big ass FMIC in front of the radiator. My temps (after replacing all the faulty old cooling issue causers) on the white car and on the purple talon were 180-181 with my 12" tall 3.5" thick FMIC.

Did that car have working A/C as well?
Just wondering what was infront of the radiator.
Either/or...nice cruising coolant temps. that is what I am seeing on the stealth with distilled water + Water wetter + Koyo "race" radiator and sidemount ic's.
Oh and A/C.

At-Least-It's-An-Evo 05-29-2006 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niterydr
Did that car have working A/C as well?
Just wondering what was infront of the radiator.
Either/or...nice cruising coolant temps. that is what I am seeing on the stealth with distilled water + Water wetter + Koyo "race" radiator and sidemount ic's.
Oh and A/C.

Hmm... The Evo has A/C. I guess I should put some sidemounts on it so it can run cooler though it's also running at 180-181.

Also, Mo/Speedfreak has working A/C with a 4" thick core and I am sure he can chime in saying he has no overheating problems because his cooling system is upto par also.

niterydr 05-29-2006 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by At-Least-It's-An-Evo
Hmm... The Evo has A/C. I guess I should put some sidemounts on it so it can run cooler though it's also running at 180-181.

Also, Mo/Speedfreak has working A/C with a 4" thick core and I am sure he can chime in saying he has no overheating problems because his cooling system is upto par also.

Sweet. I wasn't sure how the evo's did for cooling. I know in the 3s community, the cooling systems can't keep up on the road course with a FMIC.
Also, I think you would agree as well, most vehicles I see with a fmic don't really need it. They are a great solution for many issues. I will have to go FMIC if my sidemounts can't keep up on race gas. I think they might though.

niterydr 05-29-2006 05:53 PM

Quote:

Ok, I have decided to make some purchases for my car finally and i would like some feedback before i commit to buying. So far my car is 100% stock except a MBC and a boost gauge. These are the parts I have but are not installed: Ported Evo 3 02 housing, 2g manifold ported on the outlet to 7cm, i also have a dsmlink coming to me in the mail soon.

The parts that I am considering are: PLX M-250 w/gauge, Walbro 250lhp and the rewire kit, Aeromotive afpr and the install kit with underhood gauge, 660cc injectors, Dejontool Evo3 downpipe(EDP-1gB), dejontool straight pipe exhaust with extra muffler(EXH-1gB), and finally the M.H.I. Evo 3 16g. of corse i'd order all necessary gaskets and such.

Now that i read this i realize i'd probably have to buy a new clutch. I only trust ACT so i'd get the 2600 and keep the stock flywheel.

The car i have has a little over 190k miles the head was rebuilt recently by the previous owner, i was wondering about the stock bottom end but i think i'll be good because i know it can handle a fair amount of power.

My goals for this car are to have 300-350whp Reliably.

The evo 16g setup is a nice street turbo. It is very proven, but to get it to 300whp, even on a dynojet, takes a bit of work.
I haven't trusted ACT's for about 3 years now. I am unsure on their products, but "back then" they went to junk.
Your walbro shouldn't need to be rewired until 400+whp (dynojet).
Pretty much go over this list:
Fuel mods to suppport power? check
intake? check
exhaust? check
intercooling?
drivetrain?
health of the vehicle?
suspension would be nice, as your car has 190k on it and probably handles like shit.
Brakes are also an upgrade that I rarely see on peoples priority list.

Swifty1638 05-29-2006 06:00 PM

mo's car was around 196-210 the other night on uni..assuming the gauge read correctly..

-A. Swift