MitsuStyle

MitsuStyle (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/index.php)
-   Brakes / Body / Suspension (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Tire suggestions (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32680)

Scott 02-18-2013 10:33 PM

Tire suggestions

I'm in the market for some new tires. I'm still rocking the advans at 16,500 and come spring they will need to be replaced. I'm hoping to get some advice based on what I'm looking for. My budget is around $1000. I'd like low road noise and something that would last a little longer than 17k miles. I do a little spirited driving, no auto cross or racing as of now. Size I'm looking for is a 265/35/18 going on 18x9.5E15. I don't use them in the winter so no need for an all season. Love to hear your guys opinions.

asshanson 02-18-2013 10:49 PM

Re: Tire suggestions

Pilot Super Sports are only $264 each for that size on Tire Rack (plus $70 rebate on 4), I've heard really good things about them, still great grip and definitely longer life then the really high end tires. They are ranked #1 in Max Performance Summer.

zelskeet 02-20-2013 12:01 PM

I've been rocking Nitto NT555 for a few thousand miles now and liking them, not a lot of road noise and seem to be wearing nicely.

polishmafia 02-24-2013 08:32 PM

You are going to have limited choices if your budget is under $1000.

Your car originally came with a 93Y load/speed rating tire. Going to a lower load/speed rating tire can cause the car's normal handling to be compromised. Don't go cheap to save a few bucks, its not worth it.

The Michelin Pilot Super Sports that Andrew mentioned are great tires, and they aren't as spendy as other tires. Just remember that you have to think about shipping and mounting/balancing costs.

Kracka 02-25-2013 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polishmafia (Post 424563)
The Michelin Pilot Super Sports that Andrew mentioned are great tires, and they aren't as spendy as other tires.

A guy down here put them on his Evo and loved them; plans to get a set for his GTR too.

Murlo26 02-25-2013 08:53 AM

I've been happy with my Hankook Ventus V12 Evo's.

They are a great DD summer tire for sure and the wear is pretty good along with nice road noise characteristics.

Looks like 196 for just the tire, so with shipping, mounting and balancing etc you might be right around 1000. I'd recommend them for sure.

Kracka 02-25-2013 08:57 AM

I had the V12's and they were good DD tires, same with the Sumitomo HTR Z III's I switched to. I think for this next set I buy this spring I'll try out some new BFGoodrich tires from the same class.

Murlo26 02-25-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kracka (Post 424584)
I had the V12's and they were good DD tires, same with the Sumitomo HTR Z III's I switched to. I think for this next set I buy this spring I'll try out some new BFGoodrich tires from the same class.

I haven't tried those yet so I can't comment. My v12's in 275's were pretty good for the price. I am going to a tire with more grip next myself, these just don't have what's needed for my car even in 275.

I'll be moving to the new star specs I am sure for next go around, but we shall see. I'd recommend those here but they aren't cheap and I am not sure if they will be as friendly as the other we are mentioning.

goodhart 02-25-2013 09:29 AM

One thing to note about the V12's, they seemed to have very soft sidewalls compared to other similar tires. I preferred the HTRZ III's much more. Comparable traction with much more sidewall stiffness, yet still quiet for DD use.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kracka (Post 424584)

Whaaaa???? Kracka gonna use a g-force tire?

Kracka 02-25-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodhart (Post 424588)
One thing to note about the V12's, they seemed to have very soft sidewalls compared to other similar tires. I preferred the HTRZ III's much more. Comparable traction with much more sidewall stiffness, yet still quiet for DD use.

Agreed 100%.
Quote:

Originally Posted by goodhart (Post 424588)
Whaaaa???? Kracka gonna use a g-force tire?

Newest tech tire in the class; The HTR Z III has aged, so has the RE760 (for examples). The new G-Force tires are getting very good industry reviews. Even buying tires in the ~300 treadwear range I'm going through a set per year, so this will be by 4th set of tires.

s1ngletracker 03-23-2013 12:55 AM

Yep, those G-forces might be what we end up running on the chumpcar. A bit unproven yet so as of now we're running the Dunlop ZIIs