MitsuStyle

MitsuStyle (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/index.php)
-   Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Intercooler black paint experiment (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34418)

Halon 06-25-2014 10:57 PM

Intercooler black paint experiment

Thought this was interesting and worth sharing.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f1QL9veQaNg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1QL9veQaNg&hd=1

CLIFF NOTES.

Tested the temp in vs. temp out on an intercooler using a hair drier (simulate hot air coming from turbo) and thermal couples. Tested with no air flowing across the outside of the FMIC, then was tested with air flowing across it (using a radiator fan). Temps were measure in CELCIUS.

Bare Alum IC = 38* drop in temp with no airflow, 100* drop in temp with airflow
Black Spray Painted IC = 77* drop in temp with no airflow, 97* drop in temp with airflow.

Black performed significantly better with no airflow, both performed pretty much identical (marginal difference) w/ airflow.

Note that when they painted the outside of the FMIC, they don't appear to just shoot a light coat either. They prime and spray paint it with what appears to be a pretty healthy coat. Even blew the paint with a blower to try and get it as deep into the fins as possible

Kracka 06-26-2014 07:43 AM

Re: Intercooler black paint experiment

Interesting! Thanks for sharing.

goodhart 06-26-2014 08:24 AM

Watched this last week. Pretty primitive way of testing, but it's gotta count for something!

scheides 06-26-2014 08:37 AM

LOL @ hairdrier being part of the tool kit in the miata!

Interesting results with no airflow, didn't expect that much difference but the science is def there.

Results with airflow: not surprising.

cmspaz 06-26-2014 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scheides (Post 446519)
Results with airflow: not surprising.

I'm with Scheides on this.

If there were any substantial performance or efficiency gain at all from this, all of our OE units would be black, radiators too. It isn't like this is brand-new technology that is just being implemented.

A//// Guy 06-26-2014 09:26 AM

Interesting results for sure, especially with no airflow. Real life engine tests would be another story I think, would be interesting to see.

Halon 06-26-2014 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmspaz (Post 446523)
I'm with Scheides on this.

If there were any substantial performance or efficiency gain at all from this, all of our OE units would be black, radiators too. It isn't like this is brand-new technology that is just being implemented.

Geez not trying to start a debate or argument here, just thought I'd share the vid as I thought it was interesting, that's all. Never said it was some kinda new technology, just sharing stuff I found interesting.

FWIW, the two heat exchangers that came OEM on my car are black.

polishmafia 06-26-2014 09:41 AM

Screw you guys! I'm going to go paint my intercooler neon green!

A//// Guy 06-26-2014 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halon (Post 446525)
Geez not trying to start a debate or argument here, just thought I'd share the vid as I thought it was interesting, that's all. Never said it was some kinda new technology, just sharing stuff I found interesting.

FWIW, the two heat exchangers that came OEM on my car are black.

I agree, plus the amount of money spent from the factory to coat parts black would add up. Being that stock applications are usually held back from maximum performance, I doubt manufacturers would see any value in spending that additional expense anyway.

Kracka 06-26-2014 09:56 AM

Most OEM radiators, oil coolers, etc. are black or close to it.

Goat Blower 06-26-2014 10:28 AM

I painted my IC black a few years ago along with my radiator. Purely aesthetic as I don't give a crap about a few degrees of supposed heat soak. I'll have to watch this when I'm not at work. :D

BriK 06-26-2014 11:12 AM

I actually think the testing is fairly sophisticated. Yes, it could be improved in a couple ways, but it's much better than a couple rednecks putting a meat thermometer on each end like you might otherwise expect from YouTube.

Stock Evo oil coolers are black.

Speedfreak 06-26-2014 02:51 PM

Interesting. So in applications where the intercooler doesn't get as much airflow as a front mounted intercooler, it may be beneficial to paint an intercooler black. If I can get my brain around believing this, I may have to try it.

Kracka 06-26-2014 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedfreak (Post 446540)
Interesting. So in applications where the intercooler doesn't get as much airflow as a front mounted intercooler, it may be beneficial to paint an intercooler black. If I can get my brain around believing this, I may have to try it.

Like on a C7 supercharger kit with horizontal mount intercooler? :D

Halon 06-26-2014 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kracka (Post 446543)
Like on a C7 supercharger kit with horizontal mount intercooler? :D

Or an NSX w/ it horizontally mounted in the rear...

Kracka 06-26-2014 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halon (Post 446544)

Even better.

Speedfreak 06-26-2014 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halon (Post 446544)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kracka (Post 446545)
Even better.

If only paint was like plasti-dip is supposed to be (peel-able). The core for that mofo was so expensive it'll be hard to paint it black.

asshanson 06-26-2014 03:38 PM

Stock intercooler on the Exige was black (not sure if painted or anodized), my aftermarket one was black anodized. Both mounted upright on top of the motor. I have a rear mounted bare aluminum intercooler now, with sub-par airflow at less than highway speeds due to a steep angle off the rear deck, air likes to just pass over top instead of going through.

Mo, why not anodize it? Seems to me like that would be better than paint. Cost is a bit higher though.

Can't watch the video here at work, can anyone give cliff notes? Based on comments it seems like the black performed better with little airflow, but about the same with a fan across it?

Halon 06-26-2014 03:41 PM

I'd imagine trying to clean off any coating between the fins wouldn't be fun.

For now I like my shiny FMIC, but someday if it starts looking beat up it's nice to know painting it won't really hurt it.

Kracka 06-26-2014 03:41 PM

Best of all worlds: black thermal dispersant coating

I had it on my Evo IX intake manifold and it looked good, plus seemed durable enough for an intercooler not in the direct fire of rocks and road debris.

If was effective enough to allow your hand to be held directly on the intake manifold plenum right after an autocross run; this was not possible before the coating. Not at all a scientific testing method, but it was enough real-world proof to be considered effective in my opinion.