MitsuStyle

MitsuStyle (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/index.php)
-   Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Transmission No More! (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6816)

1slowdsm 03-13-2005 06:44 PM

Transmission No More!

Yeah, my transmission finally gave up on me. I knew it was coming, just didnt know when. Will I still be able to rebuild the tranny? I've a '93 TSI AWD. I was going kinda hard in first and second and going into third when I was in 3rd gear and my rpm just went up, but the car didnt go forward. I was 1/2 a block from my friend's house and I couldnt move my car anymore. When I let off the clutch, it dies. I cant shift into second at all anymore. I had it towed to my house and was in reverse and it got stuck in reverse for a long time. So yeah...I need to get a hold of someone that will rebuild my tranny. The only people I know of right now are ShepRacing $895 (not including shipping) and Shindley and I dont know if Shindley's got a long waiting list or anything. So I need some help from you guys, who do you guys go to go get a new tranny or rebuild your tranny? I still need to take the tranny out, so this will be my first time and I'm not expecting it to be too fun. This fricken sucks. Now I have no car to drive!

FORSFED 03-13-2005 09:13 PM

Re: Transmission No More!

Correct me if I read that wrong, but it sounds to me as if your clutch went out if the engine reved up but the car didn't move...

1slowdsm 03-13-2005 11:05 PM

I hope its just the clutch. But I cant even shift into some gears now and the car doesnt have a neutral anymore. I cant let my foot off the pedal even if its in neutral, it just dies like its in gear. If I get it into a gear and the car moves, the shifter is stuck in that gear and it takes a long time to get out. I know the clutch wasnt working right, I could hear it scraping the flywheel when I push the pedal in not even an inch. I'm thinking I'll just send it in to ShepRacing and have them do the rebuild...I have no other choices, yet.

JET 03-13-2005 11:52 PM

Your clutch disc could have broken. I would get the tranny off and check it out before you decide to rebuild.

1slowdsm 03-14-2005 09:06 AM

If its just the clutch disc, wouldnt I be able to still move my shifter into gear even when the car isnt on? Yeah, I gotta take my tranny out soon and see what's wrong with it. I've never taken one out or seen one taken out, so it'll be kinda hard...haha. What needs to be taken out before I can start unbolting the tranny? Any help would be appreciated...(if thats spelled right)...

Alpine TSi 03-14-2005 09:35 AM

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/clutch-1G.html

Very helpful. Just keep track of all your nuts, bolts, fasteners, etc.. I used a small transmission jack to help get it in and out, but there are many other ways to get the thing out of there.

1slowdsm 03-14-2005 10:01 AM

Haha..that was weird. I just got done reading that vfaq and now I'm back on here. There are so many steps you have to follow just to get the tranny out! First off, I'll have to go get some tools, as I have none at all at my house. I have another question, can you reuse the pressure plate or do you have to switch everything...pressure plate, friction disc and so on? This project is going to kill me! $1500 uncluding the new clutch if its necessary. Who here has experience with shepracing's service and rebuilt tranny?

1slowdsm 03-15-2005 04:14 PM

Hmm...I have a question for you more experienced people. I was just wondering if a used tranny would do just as fine as a rebuilt tranny. If they're pretty much the same, my dad wants me to get a used tranny instead of having this one rebuilt. That way I could rebuild my current tranny and have that one as my spare. So what do you guys think?

Alpine TSi 03-15-2005 04:21 PM

It is always nice to have a spare tranny, just make sure that the one you are getting used is in good shape. You don't want to get burned on a bad used tranny.

1slowdsm 03-15-2005 09:24 PM

yeah, thats what I was worried about. Hmm, I was looking at MT trannies online at this one place and they had 21 spline and 23 spline. What exactly does this mean?

MustGoFaster 03-15-2005 09:54 PM

That is referring to the t-case output shaft. If you get a tranny that has a different output shaft you need to get a t-case to fit it. 92 and up are typicaly 23 spline, 91 is mixed and 90's should be 21 spline. But you never know unless you count.

1slowdsm 03-16-2005 09:04 AM

so I wouldnt be able to use a 90-91 tranny on my car then, right? Unless I get a new t-case.

Alpine TSi 03-16-2005 10:03 AM

Correct.

1slowdsm 03-16-2005 04:41 PM

NoOoOoOo...that makes it harder for me to find a tranny. This sucks! I just hope I dont have to replace the clutch also, but I'm like 80% sure I will. Fricken DSM... :)

Pushit2.0 03-18-2005 03:25 PM

Sounds like you broke the 3/4 shift fork to me. Also it should be a 22 spline or 23 spline, I dont think there is a 21 spline. If you want just get the tcase with the tranny you buy that way you know it will work. I think your clutch should be fine, but do not try to drive the car anymore other wise more stuff will be broken in the tranny.

~John

1slowdsm 03-27-2005 06:40 PM

The car wont move, so I'm good with the "not driving for a while."

Well...I finally got the Tranny out with the help of my cousin (always nice to have a relative mechanic in family). And the tranny was the problem, so I'll just be getting a TRE Stock Rebuild tranny and a new clutch. I had a TON of hotspots on my flywheel and pressure plate and since the tranny is out. I might as well get a new clutch too(ACT 2600..Woohoo). My cousin was telling me that you "dont" have to resurface the flywheel everytime you get a new clutch. Is he wrong, because I always thought you should resurface it. Just need that corrected. I'll post up some pics if you guys wanna see some. I didnt take the tranny apart..just to let you guys know. That'll be my 2 yr long project when I feel like it.

A//// Guy 03-27-2005 09:25 PM

Yes you need to resurface the flywheel if your putting a new clutch in.

1slowdsm 03-29-2005 11:08 AM

Do you guys know anyplace where I can get my flywheel resufaced for cheap? I heard that Napa charges $60 for it. Gosh, I have so many questions...Would I need an alignment done after I get the tranny in, since I took apart the rotor assembly from the strut tower and lower control arm and stuff like that. My cousin says I might-as-well get it done, but I've had it aligned WAY too many times (3 last year from fall to spring alone) and the money spent is catching up to me. And just another question that isnt really important, but I just wanna know how much different the 2600 is to the 2100? I wont know for another month or so and I was just wondering....this question doesnt really need to be answered.

1slowdsm 04-09-2005 10:00 AM

OKAY...WTF. I just got my new tranny and had just gotten it in. Now the transfer case wont go into the shaft that's on the tranny? I counted the splines and the t-case has 22 and the tranny has 23. Is there something I did wrong? This is really pissing me off...it took us all morning to get the tranny in to find out that the t-case wont go into the tranny....Ahhh! Are there t-cases that I could buy that has 23 splines would to into the tranny part? I wish I knew there were 22 splines also..... :0

Alpine TSi 04-09-2005 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by galantvr41062
Also it should be a 22 spline or 23 spline, I dont think there is a 21 spline.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1slowdsm
OKAY...WTF. I just got my new tranny and had just gotten it in. Now the transfer case wont go into the shaft that's on the tranny? I counted the splines and the t-case has 22 and the tranny has 23. Is there something I did wrong? This is really pissing me off...it took us all morning to get the tranny in to find out that the t-case wont go into the tranny....Ahhh! Are there t-cases that I could buy that has 23 splines would to into the tranny part? I wish I knew there were 22 splines also..... :0

You can now try and find a matching t-case from a junkyard or such, or change the output shaft on the transmission. The latter option can be done while the tranny is in the car, but it isn't fun.