View Single Post
Old 10-26-2005   #4
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr
Re: Cylinder 1 No Compression - Burned Exhaust Valves - How Much To Fix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0m1n0
Hey guys,

Recently on a trip to Wisconsin, my car started sputtering really bad and ran like crap. I took it into a shop and they found theres no compression in cylinder 1. Also the spark plug grounding electrode was burned right off. They said it sounds like the exhaust valves are burned up, but can't be sure unless they tear the head off. And it would cost $1,000 for them to pull the head and replace it, plus how ever much to replace the valves.

I'm not too interested in paying that much to have them do that. Anyone have an estimate how much it would cost, and whats all involved doing it myself? Which brings me to my next question. Anyone in the cities have a flatbed I could borrow or rent for a weekend to tow it back?

Thanks for reading, and hopefully helping!

Joe
lhhc@mn.rr.com
IM - lhhc30

How can the shop not tell if its a burned up valve or not? Have they ever heard of a leakdown tester?
Under what conditions did the car fail? Where you under heavy load? What is done to the vehicle for modifications?

We are $400+ for labor on the headgasket swap, pending how damaged the head is for additional labor (1-2 hours, maybe more). This is of course if you have a turbo 1g or 2g dsm...
We would also recommend a valve job, and obviously parts and taxes aren't included.
Enes offers towing in the membered offered services thread.
Welcome to the boards.

Last edited by niterydr; 10-26-2005 at 12:41 PM..
niterydr is offline   Reply With Quote