View Single Post
Old 04-18-2006   #23
dumb_ricer
Hates Everything

Drives: Neon
Send a message via AIM to dumb_ricer
Re: Questions on whitch rods and pistons to use.

Yes, I have built engines, and I have done extensive research on piston design and theory.

I was not referring to the length of the skirt. Yes, the Mahle skirt length is damn near non existant. But, the Mahle piston skirt wraps all the way around to almost the wrist pin. Whether this helps or not is up in the air.

With tighter tolerances, in theory a longer skirt is not needed. I do agree with you that on a daily driven street car a longer skirt is PROBABLY going to help decrease piston scuffing and help engine life slightly. I am not going to say that 100% yes it does help, because this has yet to be proven. My buddy has a set sitting in his garage right now, and his motor will be built in about a month, so we will see how the Mahles do.

Where most of you "older" guys who have been into DSM's for a long time have formed hard opinions on what works and what doesn't, I am new to the game, and it's not just DSM's I am in to. I haven't had time to form the hardened opinions that seems to come out as fact from you guys. Yes, Wiseco makes a great piston, Yes, I recommended Wiseco to the original poster because I do not know how well the Mahle's will work. No, I am not going to say that Wiseco makes a better piston than Mahle because there is no proof of this. Theory says that the Mahle may be better. Wiseco is proven, I know that, but we can't come out and say Mahle isn't worth looking at.
dumb_ricer is offline   Reply With Quote