View Single Post
Old 11-16-2006   #15
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr
Re: ECU and Tubo options

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli View Post
The way DSMLink handles fuel is not like an AFC at all. With an AFC all you are doing is altering the Hz sent from the MAS to the ECU, which puts it into the wrong load cells, if you have bigger than stock injectors.

With DSMLink you have a global fuel setting, to generally compensate for larger injectors. That changes the injector size value in the ECU, so that you can run big injectors without all the loads getting way out of wack.

Then you have dead time, mostly to help your fuel trims at idle/very low injector pulse width when you have bigger injectors that don't respond as fast. That changes the battery offset/fuel injector deadtime table in the ECU.

Then you have the fuel sliders, which are essentially changing the top half of the ECU's fuel table. They only do anything under higher load/boost, because the ECU only uses the fuel table when it's in open loop.

Then you have the MAF compensation/MAF settings table that you can use to fine tune the MAF during closed loop and open loop operation to get your A/Fs inline at any low to medium-high load situation.

And if you are maxing out your MAF, then you can go into the VE compensation table and then have almost treat the car like an AEM or Motec running boost compensation under extremly high loads.
Very true, but in the end it is hacking the stock ecu and has to conform to the stock parameters. That is what I was getting at I guess I wasn't clear enough. Going back and reading my post, it does sound like I am saying they are the same, but they aren't.
However, dsmlink isn't a true standalone like everyone in the DSMLINK community likes to think. It still has to operate within some factory parameters. They keep making revisions and the system keeps getting better and better, but it is not the same.
I am well aware how a S-afc and dsmlink work, but the post is nice for the archives! That way when this thread gets buried, people can go back and dig up what everything does on the Dsmlink. Good post, I was entirely to lazy to go into detail.
One thing though, a S-afc does not ALWAYS put it into the wrong load cells if you are not using that much adjustment on the S-afc...I figured I would clear that up, as this thread will probably get archived.
Granted the DSMLINK is a great option for 90% of the dsmer's out there, but 50% of those don't need anything more than a S-afc and maf-t or 2g mas.