Old 11-23-2007   #23
Black97civic
35mpg

Become the 16-Bit Wizard Champion!
Send a message via AIM to Black97civic
Re: HIDs installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_1G_Drummer View Post
1. How do you know he halfassed the install? Have you seen it first hand?
He said that they are in standard halogen housings, that in and of itself makes it a halfassed install. I am sure he tightened down all the bolts, and has the headlights aligned, but he still didn't do it the correct way.

Quote:
2. How would the beam pattern be any different? the only difference is the brightness of the bulb. He didn't change the reflector of the headlight at all, hence: no change in beam pattern.
Look at the image I attached, the one on the left is an HID bulb, the one on the right is a standard halogen, see any difference??

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html

Read that link, or if you're too lazy, I'll quote the important part for you...

Quote:
Halogen headlamps and HID headlamps require very different optics to produce a safe and effective—not to mention legal—beam pattern. How come? Because of the very different characteristics of the two kinds of light source.

A halogen bulb has a cylindrical light source: the glowing filament. The space immediately surrounding the cylinder of light is completely dark, and so the sharpest contrast between bright and dark is along the edges of the cylinder of light. The ends of the filament cylinder fade from bright to dark. An HID bulb, on the other hand, has a crescent-shaped light source -- the arc.
So yeah, a half assed, possibly dangerous, and illegal. Yeah, I doubt he will get pulled over for it, but it is still annoying as fuck when someone like him pulls up behind me and blinds the shit out of me even though "Its all good, I gotz tyte eyebrows on my headlights, lol!!"

BTW, maybe do a little bit of research before trying to sound like you know what you are talking about, everything I found came from common automotive knowledge, and 5 seconds of google searching.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HID_vs_HallogenBlackIndex-368x154.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	5.4 KB
ID:	6611  
Black97civic is offline   Reply With Quote