View Single Post
Old 03-19-2008   #15
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51
Re: Krank Vent replacments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.98GSX View Post
Well I just re-read this thread twice and I don't think I've learned so much at one time before! I vote this most informative thread on style for quite a while. I would like to clear a few things up for other newbs including myself in this situation.

The first pic is of somebody with just a filter on their vc. This is bad because it allows air to get sucked back into the vc.

The second pic is a setup with a simple catchcan/filter that goes on the line from the vc to the intake.

My understanding of the Krank Vents is that one goes on by your pcv valve and acts as a backup making sure no air gets into the vc, and the other goes on a line from the vc to the intake sucking some air out but again not letting air back in. You would also want to use a catchcan/filter on the line going from your vc to your intake.

I'd appreciate it if somebody could edit my post and correct anything that's incorrect. It may be a little late for this post, but I'd like to think I'm helping out some future newbs we might direct to this thread.
You are correct about the KV by the PCV more or less acting as a "backup" for the stock PCV valve. It does the same thing, only better. On the valve cover breather port the KV doesn't suck any air/gas/fumes out of the crankcase, it just prevents air from entering thus helping to create a vacuum (when one KV is open and letting air out, the other is closed and not letting air in). This system works best with a vacuum source hooked up to both; intake manifold to PCV side and intake pipe to breather side.

Right now I have a little K&N filter on my KV coming off the breather (as pictured above), but in time when my setup is complete it will be going to a catch-can then routed back to my intake. This will be done as soon as I get my mini-battery kit allowing me room to mount my catch-can.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote