View Single Post
Old 05-18-2009   #1
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon
Help Choosing Tires

Well I'm in the market for some new tires for the Talon, and looking for advice from those who know more than I do about rubber.

Car "should be" a 10sec capable car. I currently have Sumitomo HTR Z3's (235/45/17) on 17x8 rims. I want to keep either the same size, or would also consider going to a 235/40 (to help with clearances).

I can spin the current tires in 1st, 2nd, and ever so slightly in 3rd. It's not too bad, I can compensate for it. 2 of the tires are shot, and the other 2 are still in very good shape (maybe 4k miles or so on them). One option I could chose is to just replace the 2 bad ones with good ones considering the rears aren't too worn at all. That'd be the quick easy cheap fix.

But before I do that, I'm wanting to look at other options I may have. The only racing I really do is drag racing, and taking the occasional clover-leaf at a spirited speed. But no auto-crossing or anything. No winter driving. Minnimal rain driving. So basically just looking for good dry-traction, geared towards straight fast acceleration. I don't want slicks, I don't want those street legal slicks (look like a slick, but with 2 little grooves making them DOT legal).

Hopefully that's enough info to give you an idea of what I'm looking for. If all else fails, I'll just get some more HTR Z3's. But ideally I'd like something with better traction, but not to the point of being slicks.
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote