View Single Post
Old 04-14-2010   #16
blackrosenova400

Re: What Oil Restrictor do I need?

If you know for a fact that the inlet of the oil feed is restricted then yes it does not need a restictor.

If it doesnt, and hes feeiding it with a 4 an line from the filter housing, he is feeding a shit ton of oil to that turbo and thats why its blowing. Any turbo is gonna blow, it doesnt matter, the drain cannot handle that amount of oil.

The only way for oil to blow out out that seal is for it to be worn, inproperly installed, or too much oil FLOW that the turbo drain cannot handle, backs up into the center section, and out the seal.

I personally ported and altered my oil pressure relief. I now have a nice controlled 15-18 psi at idle and 75-85 psi at 8500 rpm, warm.

I also run a 4 an line feed (form filter housing) to my garret center section turbo with a .09 restrictor, works beautifully.

Take a picture of the inlet of the oil feed on the turbo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
A journal bearing 20G doesn't need an oil restrictor. Oil pressure from the port on the head is much lower than engine oil pressure.

Oil pressure is temp and RPM based, it has nothing to do with load so please don't list an oil pressure for WOT. 100+ psi at idle with a cold engine is perfectly normal. Once the engine is fully warmed up oil pressure should be between 5-20 psi at idle. At 3k RPM (once fully warmed) oil pressure is generally 60-80psi.

Last edited by blackrosenova400; 04-14-2010 at 11:15 AM..
blackrosenova400 is offline   Reply With Quote