Thread: TkrPerformance
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2010   #1
daneatsv8s

Drives: 91 Galant VR4, 97 Eclipse GSX, 91 Talon TSI
Thumbs down TkrPerformance

Mark Schroeder aka TkrPerformance bought a 7-bolt block from my brother a few weeks back. The motor came RUNNING out of my 97 GSX, no knocking, no oil burning, no issues to speak of, I simply chose to swap it out for the newer 6-bolt from my Galant. Mark contacted Stephen a week or so later and told him that the block was "junk". Stephen told him to contact me in regards to a refund. Below is all of the correspondence between Mark and I in chronological order, which outlines my attempts to issue Mark a fair refund on his purchase:

Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 5:00 PM
To: Daniel Chang
Subject: junk 7bolt

I picked up the 7bolt from your 2g from your bro. as stated on style it was agood running engine. we it is junk. the engine has 1/4in of crank walk in it andthe bearings and crank are shot. So I was told to email you so you can get the 200.00 back to your bro so I can get it back to make it right. It is good for a part out and that is about it

mark
your can text me at 763 300 7429

At this point I was very disappointed with the trouble that Mark was having with my motor. As with every person that buys something from either myself or my brother, we try to make sure that they are happy. I immediately emailed Mark a response to try to solve the issue:

-----Original Message-----
Sent: July 21, 2010 9:22 PM
To: mark schroeder <tkrperformance1@yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: junk 7bolt

Mark,

Stephen is going to pick the block up from you and we will go from there. I'm going to have him take a look at it, and we will also bring it to a third party to have it looked at. If it is determined that everything you said is correct, then I will refund you the money. Stephen should be contacting you within the next few days to schedule a pick up time.

Dan

I emailed him and outline a process that would help both parties involved to be happy. I certainly don't want to be selling people junk parts, but at the same time, I felt as if I needed to have proof of the failures in the motor. I think this is the same process that any business would go through to process a return claim or warranty issue. If I go into Best Buy and say that the camera I bought from them a week ago is broken, they will be more than happy to refund me the money, provided that I can show them proof of the defect. I think the same thought process should take place in used parts sales as well.

Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 9:36 PM

If leaves i need the cash for it back. I will not be out the 200. I have built
so many dsm so i do know what i am looking at nd tlking about. the engine is
done there is no rebuilding it at all. If you really want a 3rd party to look at
they can come at the same time to look at it. I am off tomorrow or fri so it has
to be in the next 2 days

Mark responds 14 minutes later to tell me that if I am going to pick up the block to have it inspected by a 3rd party, I am going to have to give him the money up front. If I was returning that same camera at Best Buy and I told the customer service counter that they had to give me the money BEFORE they inspected the camera for defects, what would they do? This is obviously not the proper process for getting a refund. So I responded to Mark to try to clarify what needed to be done:

Sent: July 21, 2010 9:46 PM
To: mark schroeder <tkrperformance1@yahoo.com>

Mark,

If I'm going to refund you for a junk motor that was pulled running out of my car, then I'm going to have to pick up the block and have it looked at. Since I'm not in the country and can't look at it personally, Stephen is going to bring it to Primo to have them look at it. I cannot refund you the money before I have it looked at, and unfortunately it is a little out of my place to request that someone from Primo go with Stephen to your house to look at the block. If you would like a refund then this is the process that we need to go through.

Dan

I informed Mark further WHY we needed to take this process, and told him why I could not refund him his money up front. I told him the name of the shop that I would bring it to as well. I left the email open-ended because I was waiting for a response from Mark.

When Mark responded previously to tell me that I needed to give him the money up front, he responded within 14 minutes. When I sent Mark an email about how he could get his refund, he didn't respond for SIX DAYS. After waiting for almost a week for a response, I sent Mark this email:

----- Original Message ----
To: mark <tkrperformance1@yahoo.com>
Sent: Mon, July 26, 2010 11:13:38 PM

Well Mark I've given you the past 6 days to respond. When you first brought this issue to me I was more than happy to refund you the money, provided that you let me bring the block to a third party to be looked over. I am going to take your lack of a response as a refusal to go through with the process that I outlined, and I will not be refunding you any of your money. To say the least, it is extremely questionable to me why you insisted that I refund you the $200 before I took the block to be inspected, and now haven't responded since I insisted that this was the process we needed to take. I don't see how someone with
nothing to hide would have a problem with me taking the motor to a neutral third party to be inspected. I have been completely up front with you, like I am with every person that I do business with, and I have given you more than adequate chance to get your money back. At this point, I will not refund you the money for the motor, and I will not be doing any business with you whatsoever in the future.

Again, let's go back to the Best Buy example. IF I bring a camera to Best Buy to be returned, demand for a refund before the camera is inspected, and then just walk away from the process when my request for an immediate refund is denied, how is that going to look to Best Buy? Very very questionable if you ask me.

Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 2010 10:31 AM
Subject: Re: junk 7bolt

Your brother never called or came over. I am done dealing with dumb ass scamers
like you and your brother from now one also you are a lieing sack of crap

After Mark read my email he proceeded to send me this delightful email about how I'm a scammer for not giving him his money back. He also seems to think that we had arranged a time for my brother to come over. Why would my brother have called him? I sent him an email that clearly showed I was waiting from a response from HIM. I don't quite see how it would make sense for my brother to randomly show up at his house when Mark had not given consent or arranged a time.

To: mark <tkrperformance1@yahoo.com>
Sent: Mon, July 27, 2010 12:30:38 PM

Dumb ass scammers? Considering you bought a car from us not more than a few months ago? I was completely up front with you about what needed to be done for you to get a refund and you had NO response. You were very quick in responding to tell me that if I was going to take the block, I would need to give you the money up front, but when I told you that I would refund you AFTER someone neutral to the situation looked at it, you never said a word. You didn't respond and say have your brother call me, or I'm available to have to pick up the block at this time, NOTHING. So don't respond back trying to call ME a dumbass or a lying sack of crap. I didn't reject your claim of the motor being bad, if it was proven to be bad I would have happily refunded you the money. I've refunded people on several occasions when transactions didn't go the way they had hoped. Sorry for taking your lack of response as INCREDIBLY shady, on top of the fact that I sold you an engine that was RUNNING when I pulled it. I don't deal with people that are quick to demand money and then shy away when it comes to proving something. I also don't deal with people that say "trust me, I've rebuilt so many different motors before". I tried to handle this situation in a professional manner, and you clearly do not understand really what that means. So, like I said before, and I will say it again, I will not do business with you in any form from this point on, whether that is you charging my older brother $300 to install some cams and to hack his intercooler pipe beyond all recognition with an angle grinder, whether that is buying a mirage shell from us to build into another "evo", whether that is me driving to pick up a crusted ass timing belt plate that you decide to charge me $15 for, I will happily stay away from ANY dealings with you, and I'll be more than happy to tell people about my dealings with you.

I will not sit back and be called a scammer by someone who was either unwilling or incapable of following a standard procedure for getting a refund. It seems that I'm a "sack of crap" for not giving Mark his money back with no questions asked because quote "I have built so many dsm so i do know what i am looking at nd tlking about". I am completely indifferent as to who Mark is friends with on this board, based on my personal dealings with him, I will not do any further business with him. I think anyone that takes the time to look at this situation objectively can understand why I decided to reject his "I need the cash right now" attitude for a refund. I know this isn't the first incident that people have had with him, and I know for one thing I will not recommend him to any DSMer I know having work done on a vehicle, and most definitely not for selling or buying parts

Last edited by daneatsv8s; 07-28-2010 at 05:19 AM..