View Single Post
Old 10-25-2010   #77
Andrew7dg
Built it from scratch!

Drives: Currently Mitsu-less
Re: jhaan_dude is a good guy *edit* BAD GUY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D. View Post
The thing is, if a reputable shop screws up they make things right and very quickly.
Yeah right...

In my opinion, rebuilding and selling turbos is a tricky business that julian has gotten himself in.

First lets think about the customers that he has to deal with. DSMers who are looking for a cheap turbo because they blew up the turbo on their car (often times because they installed it wrong to begin with or it is a Fake E16G plus they just beat on their car). They don't want to spend the money for a new one. They are often trying to get the car running as fast as they can because the car is their daily driver. State of mind "I need a turbo as fast as possible!"

They ship it to julian and from what I seen poorly. The one that I seen shipped to him was in a cardbord box that was falling apart and packing peanuts shoved inside the turbo. The turbo had a polished cover on it and now was scratched up and damaged from just shipping.

Julian calls them as says that the turbo has seen way too much oil pressure because the oil filter housing was unported. Fixes it up with a warranty. A week later the turbo comes back to him with the same problems and customer demands the warranty saying the turbo failed because of julian rebuild. Problem was again too much oil pressure...
Myself I can't argue with a customer with that kind of logic.

The other situation was when an mitsubishi turbo came in "under warranty" but the reason it failed was because it was over heated. The coolent line wasn't never hooked up. But they wanted the warranty because julian MUST have done the rebuild wrong.

I am not saying all of the customers on the list are like this but this is just from what I have seen. It sounds like a fun business, rebuilding turbos and making money, but I couldn't do it because of the customers.

Cheap DSMers are the worst people to try to teach or try to tell them how they should install a turbo. They usually don't care about the car, turbo.
However this is the market that julian is in right now. People with money, patients, mechanical know how rebuild their own turbos or buy new.

However what Julian is lacking is a business plan, set prices, written warranties, good parts suppliers, and written inventory and customer list. Once that is taken care of, it could be a good business.