View Single Post
Old 04-17-2012   #20
s1ngletracker

Drives: A BMW
Re: Crankcase ventilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizmm View Post
the other problem you have with doing large crankcase ports routed to a catch can, then routed to the intake, is you will significantly alter the metered are by the MAF. If you are running the stock size port from the valve cover, you can get away with it.
Can you explain this more? Hasn't that air been metered?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
A couple years ago I was interested in this idea. It appeared to gain popularity the Civic and Supra crowd a while back and did net some gains on the dyno. I think I might finally give this a try since my DSM is my experimental tech donkey.

I am thinking 2x -8 fittings and lines within an inline baffle box system, then 2 beefy check valves into opposing slash cut tubes. IIRC, the main issue people were having at the time were the valves getting clogged with coked oil. I am thinking the baffle box could prevent this if done correctly.

Paul, do you have any experience with this in a quasi-race environment?
Yeah, I have a slash cut on the chumpcar. This weekend will be the first time it will be run in a race. We had an awful problem with a rapid filling catch can last year, I even posted on here about it, and I got little or no help. I'm much more confident in our new setup, it also has a drainback to go back into the block so we don't have to waste time at pit stops draining it. On a street car draining it is acceptable, on a race car where you need to have ~4 minute pit stops, you want as little to do as possible.

I'll let you know how it goes! In theory it should be ok, but I have some concerns about it, namely the hose I have connected to the slash cut getting too hot.

Sponsored by DB Performance (dbptuning.com)

A dsm, a bimmer, a DORGE CUMMINZ, and a non running DSM race car... for now.

Last edited by s1ngletracker; 04-17-2012 at 05:03 PM..
s1ngletracker is offline   Reply With Quote