View Single Post
Old 05-11-2015   #55
RlySlow

Drives: 1994 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
Re: 94 TSi AWD - Reliable 11 second DD

Forgot to update my thread here, so copying this from another thread.

was a bit of a nightmare with random fitment issues, leaks, etc. Basically ended up not being near the bolt-on setup I was wanting it to be.
Worst was dropping off a couple pipes for some welds at a shop and being told it'd be done next day. They called me 2 days later at 4:55pm on a friday. I rushed down there got there at 5:07 (they close at 5) and were gone and not open on the weekend. I had told them I needed to have the car to drive back 3 hours to school - so I told them I was only going to have them do them if I could have them in time for the weekend at minimum. They said not a problem.

So I had to source a car from a friend to drive back to school. Went back a couple weekends later and finished the car. Though finished still doesn't really describe it.
has a bad pre-wastegate exhaust leak from the o2 housing and BEP turbo housing not matching perfectly. So i'm losing boost from that. Also had to shoddily wire some stuff together to save time. So waiting to finish my semester here to fix all that nice and pretty.

As of right now the car runs decent driving around. But has some hiccups from venting my bov with a 2g MAF. Then currently running 17psi on the HX40. It's probably a high 11 second car by my butt dyno. So a bit slower than the 16g on 23psi. The new throttlebody I'm using has bad seals and is causing boost leaks as well. So I'm just going to have a friend convert my FMIC's TB elbow to work with my old 1g N/T throttlebody since I had it rebuilt last year and set up perfect and it's nice and leak free and actually flows a bit better than the turbo throttlebodies. Also ordered all of ECMLink's plug and play Speed Density sensors and wiring harnesses.

So she's going speed density and also bought some new shoes and rubber! Sold the drag radials and wheels, regret that already - they looked so good on the car, could of kept them for street use. Oh well.
Scored an AWESOME deal on some FD Rx7 wheels which are some of the lightest you can get for a DSM that are bolt on and are perfect size for some QTPs!

The new shit:

haven't been home since the rx7 wheels arrived but my car actually had rx7 wheels on it when my friend owned it from like 2003-2008. This is the car with them on it back then, I plan to paint them black as well except I'll have hoosiers on them

Ready for the swap:

old vs new

looking bare

mocking up and finding tons of fitment problems

Fabbed up my new FMIC's mounting

I've honestly never had a FMIC mounted this well haha

Nothing like sitting in your engine bay at 2am eating cold french fries.

When you're really tired, and mocking up your turbo and then you stand back and realize you put it on backwards.

around this time too a buddy of mine who expressed interest in my car awhile back and got motivated to get into dsms managed to snag this beauty! Almost same setup, HX40, stock block, some head work, decent fuel system. Going for 400whp or so.

Engine bay is still a mess due to rushing, but once she was complete and running:

back up at my university

She has been a reliable daily driver since then now! I just graduated from my university Saturday and came back home yesterday. So now I'm going to start tackling all of its issues so I can try to make some actual power.

I did run at a small event at the track Saturday night and the track was poop and the car was poop. Due to the wastegate leak and boost leaks, turning up the boost was useless. I'm maybe seeing 14-15psi despite the 17psi spring in the wastegate. I ran 12.6@112mph. This trans I put in doesn't like shifting at high rpm at all. So I'm also on the hunt now for a built trans since I don't have time to send one in for a rebuild.

Anyway, mounting my tires today - so look for pictures later of her with her new shoes!