View Single Post
Old 12-19-2016   #19
dogwhistle

Drives: Life's too short to drive boring cars.
Re: Living in South Carolina? Let me hear it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halon View Post
I agree moving while you can. But on that same note, if you plan to have kids and you are planning on moving away from your family/parents, keep in mind that having them around with kids can be a total life saver sometimes. Have a couple kids and want to go have an evening with just you and the lady, having parents around that can watch them is priceless.
:/ They already do this for my pup once and a while and love him, and yea that was my main worry. So if they weren't far away, where they could come stay for a while (they are near retirement/moving side business down to St Petersburg) it might not be as bad, but a night out is a night out, and things happen. Emergencies aren't planned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracka View Post
Moving away from family just makes visits with them that much more special and meaningful. I've gotten much closer to my family with us all being spread out across the country vs. living all nearby.
I've found this with my brother. We shared a damn room growing up until he moved out, then moved straight to Tampa. I see him twice a year and we're closer than ever because we can enjoy everything about each other's lives without interfering or overstaying welcomes. I think this would be a blessing really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
Even with kids I'd take more overall happiness vs. occasional.
Once your parents get real old they can watch the kids on long visits and will want to.
I read this two ways haha but I can tell what you meant I think. Hell they'll be 45min away from my brother in Tampa, and as much as he denies it, he'll have a family like me even sooner, and before me, or my parents move. Might be a good prompt for my folks to head down. Literally only a few people here in MN on my side aren't already planning a move to the region, but local, and regional are different. Driving to Chi town to take care of family is doable, but not ideal. Her side is another story, it's messy, complicated, and honestly/fondly, they won't mind since they are all over the midwest/grainbelt as it is with infrequent visits. She's fine with the idea thankfully.