View Single Post
Old 10-07-2004   #8
520Talon

The real and sucky answer is you shouldn't run them. They are very dangerous if not properly installed.

With your factory three point belts when you get into a forward crash all of your momentum is going forward. As you are moving forward your chest belt sinches down on your lap belt and holds you into place. With harnesses you don't get the sinching. You go forward into your belts. One you hit them you still have more force to burn off and it converts you into sliding under your belts. Just imagine watching the dummies and how when they hit they pivot at the waiste from the lap belt. Harnesses do't do that. I don't know if I illustrated that very well but I hope you get my point. If you mount them around the seat that is too much slack and you will break your pelvis and poss crush the bottom of you spine.

You need an anti-submarine belt and a proper seat if you are going to where harnesses. That is why the four points are only sold for autocross use. Low speeds and no crashing, but the help hold you in for cornering and stopping.

Sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear, but I have seen the videos and safty seminars. Not pretty. Even worse is what happens to your head when it hits roll bars unprotected. You guys are using the hard padding with the safty rating and not just that cheep spongey stuff right?
520Talon is offline   Reply With Quote