View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012   #72
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET
Re: The official Deer Hunting thread.

We hunted on Gordie Mikkelson last year, that is over 800 acres and there were a max of 8 other guys on it, so 10 total. That is why I checked in with the land owner that lives right there, I wanted to make sure there weren't more than 2 other people hunting there. Lots of woods around, so it could support 4 no problem.

Why would you need a round bigger than .243 for deer? You are just going to blow all the energy out the back side and waste it anyway. I guess if you miss a vital shot and need a good blood trail is the major reason I can think of. Get a good round that has rapid expansion and the smaller rounds will do major damage. With the newer bullets out 250 yards seems to be general consesus for .223, some say as low as 200. On forums where guys have been using .223 for a long time there are lots of guys that have taken deer at 400+ and just dropped them. Where my stand will be I dont' think I will have a shot over 200, so I should be good.

I am toying with getting a new gun that is a bit bigger. I have always wanted a 30-06 or 7mm Mag, but that is way overkill on deer. I am a sucker for a really flat shooting round and would love a .257 Weatherby Mag, but they are $$$. I may end up with a 25-06 as ammo isn't bad and they are pretty popular.

I am heading to Bill's North range for final sighting in Thursday night if anyone else wants to go!

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!

Last edited by JET; 10-31-2012 at 02:52 PM..
JET is offline   Reply With Quote