View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012   #73
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr
Re: The official Deer Hunting thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
We hunted on Gordie Mikkelson last year, that is over 800 acres and there were a max of 8 other guys on it, so 10 total. That is why I checked in with the land owner that lives right there, I wanted to make sure there weren't more than 2 other people hunting there. Lots of woods around, so it could support 4 no problem.

Why would you need a round bigger than .243 for deer? You are just going to blow all the energy out the back side and waste it anyway. I guess if you miss a vital shot and need a good blood trail is the major reason I can think of. Get a good round that has rapid expansion and the smaller rounds will do major damage. With the newer bullets out 250 yards seems to be general consesus for .223, some say as low as 200. On forums where guys have been using .223 for a long time there are lots of guys that have taken deer at 400+ and just dropped them. Where my stand will be I dont' think I will have a shot over 200, so I should be good.

I am toying with getting a new gun that is a bit bigger. I have always wanted a 30-06 or 7mm Mag, but that is way overkill on deer. I am a sucker for a really flat shooting round and would love a .257 Weatherby Mag, but they are $$$. I may end up with a 25-06 as ammo isn't bad and they are pretty popular.

I am heading to Bill's North range for final sighting in Thursday night if anyone else wants to go!
Good points Justin. I am a big advocate of DRT (dead right there) shots. My weapon is a 30-30 and I shoot 150 grain softpoint win. rounds by Federal Ammunition. I've shot smaller caliber weapons but never hunted with them, just read stories about having to follow blood trails and put a few rounds in deer if the shot isn't perfect.

I'd rather waste a bit of shoulder meat and make a kill shot that penetrates everything and drops them there. I've always thought of the .223 as good military rounds (maybe because that's all I've fired out of those type of guns), great accuracy at range and great for piercing stuff, but don't open up enough to cause damage in medium/big game? Who knows again never hunted with it or shopped for ammo for one, I don't own an AR-15, yet.

The areas I hunt, 100 yards for an open shot is pushing it as I am in the thick swamp/woods.

FYI: MN DNR requires a .220 round or larger. So your .223 is legal and should work.
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/regulatio...artridges.html

I'll be packing the truck Thursday as I am heading out early Friday, otherwise I'd join you. I need to get a new cocking ring for my Mosin and then I want to to go to Bills to ensure she is true before I sporterize it, but alas that is for another thread.

Good luck on the hunt and stay safe out there. I was more concerned with the land size and it being a WMA. Ryan and I were discussing hitting WMA's for meat, maybe next year, unless we both stamp out a buck early and want to go after additional freezer food.

Last edited by niterydr; 10-31-2012 at 03:54 PM..
niterydr is offline   Reply With Quote