View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012   #1
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15
Project Quiet Exhaust is a success!

I've spoken to a few of the "older" members on here about quieting down this 3" exhaust on my GSX. It was great 10 years ago but now just gives me a headache and is somewhat embarrassing to drive, at my age at least.

I did quite a bit of measuring and searching for an extra muffler to go in the midpipe area. After a small debacle with Summit, I did get a Magnaflow 3" in and out with a 18" long body that fits with a slight massaging of the floor boards. I used slip fit SS connectors from Summit, good quality for the price. Better than the Buschur sourced ones I had with my old 3.5" setup. My system is a crappy Apexi downpipe with a used Thermal Research 3" catback that I modified to get rid of the neckdown they come with and make it pretty much a full 3" system, I'll upgrade the downpipe this winter sometime.

Anyways, it's now much quieter although it still roars a bit at WOT, but the highway drone is gone, which was the worst part. I'll have to see if I want to go quieter yet, but so far this is a big improvement. I can actually hear the other little squeaks and rattles now, so I'll be tending to those over the winter as well. I'd like to eventually have this thing sound a little more like a new Evo than an old DSM.
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote