Thread: Engine Oil
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2010   #162
Febo
Manic Narcissistic

Drives: IS300
Send a message via AIM to Febo
Re: Engine Oil

I always wondered how long everyone here goes on their oil changes.

Now I know, and I must say, my car is babied by comparison to some of your guys' cars.

I change my IS300 every 4-5k with Valvoline SynPower and a Mobil 1 filter.

and my old GSX was changed every.... I dunno, 2 months of so since I was always tearing it back apart. The lowest that would get changed with was Valvoline Durablend. Eventually changed it to Mobil 1 5-40/0-40. Totally got rid of my lifter tick. Best thing I ever did to that engine.

I stopped using any form of conventional back in my GSX days. I don't believe in conventional anymore. The science is there. Synthetics for life. But I don't believe in running synthetics past 5k. Mostly due to my mistrust for filters. I've seen too many of the new internal filters come through my shop that have failed and were letting dirty oil flow through without filtration.

Also, I seen something around here about color. Black... like pure black... is not good. Your filter should keep it from being pure black. Dark yes, Black, no. If your oil is pure freaking black change it or change your filter.

I know, I know. Modern detergent oils turn dark because they are carrying the sludge and debris from operation.... But it still shouldn't be BLACK black. Chances are your filter failed awhile back at that point.

asshanson: emily was grossed out and asked me what kind of movies i'm into, very awkward
Febo is offline   Reply With Quote