Old 12-22-2010   #175
Febo
Manic Narcissistic

Drives: IS300
Send a message via AIM to Febo
Re: Engine Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311evo View Post
Ahh okay Thanks. Is there really any advantage to using non-detergent oil? it seems like the stuff with it is healthier for the engine, and lasts longer.
There is a reason they switched to detergent oils. That reason is because non-detergent oils don't clean the sludge out of your engine. Sludge = bad, we all know this. For a modern engine I would recommend sticking with detergent oils.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awd-drifter View Post
(2) I was told not to really change from (x brand) to (x brand) because of the different "ingrediants" they use for each oil...is this true? Is that why when a few of us change to different oils, there's suddenly an issue?
This doesn't really matter. Additives are all relatively the same. Obviously some are higher quality, or are a lot more robust then others. But additives are only making up 20% of your oils composition. It's the other 80% you need to worry about, such as paraffin levels, quality of the refining, etc. Penzoil for instance is IMO the worst oil out there, especially at the conventional level. Their paraffin content is too high and leads to massive sludge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A//// Guy View Post
Ive heard Shane say numerous times that Mobile one is too thin and ruins bearings. For normal cars that are more reserved im sure its fine, but highly modified cars have issues?
I'm in agreeance with matt on this one peter. I'd say its more the fault of not going thick enough, like uping to a 5w40 or 10w40. Altho FP did show that just by switching to Mobil 1 they managed to scorch a thrust bearing.

asshanson: emily was grossed out and asked me what kind of movies i'm into, very awkward
Febo is offline   Reply With Quote