View Single Post
Old 11-06-2011   #29
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr
Re: The official Deer Hunting thread.

Got this 6 pointer Sunday night. For all intents and purposes it is 5 "full size" points and 1 broken off one in a "nub", estimated weight 120lbs, should be good eats. Estimate him to be 2 years of age, coming into year 3 by size.

Weapon: 30-30, 150 grain bullet
Shots: 1
Conditions: 4:35pm, sun setting, ground hunting in brush
Distance: 10-15 feet, needed to be a ninja to pull this shot off as he was CLOSE and for most of the time staring straight at me.
Kill location: Ottertail, MN. 15 acre "island" forest, across the highway from an 80 acre woods and surrounded by 75 acres of downed corn fields. Terrain is overgrown brush, very thick, swamp, and downed trees.

First time out deer hunting, couldn't be happier after spending 15 hours in the woods. Only deer I saw all weekend, only shot I took. He dropped like a sack of potatoes, lifted his head for a few seconds (while on the ground), and that was that.

(Well I nearly hit a beautiful buck on the way home tonight from hunting, probably a 12 pointer, lost count at 10, he was clearly visible standing in the road and was as tall as the hood (back) of my 2500hd truck, so this was the only deer I saw at the time of shooting).
To bad I couldn't have stayed up north a few more days to stalk the 8 pointer my uncle has seen over the last few months, that deer will be happy I took care "of this little problem" for him.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	deer1.JPG
Views:	708
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	12095  

Last edited by niterydr; 11-06-2011 at 11:46 PM..
niterydr is offline   Reply With Quote