View Single Post
Old 12-07-2015   #133
MustGoFaster

Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion!
Drives: A big dirty V8
Send a message via ICQ to MustGoFaster Send a message via AIM to MustGoFaster Send a message via Yahoo to MustGoFaster Send a message via Skype™ to MustGoFaster
Re: The official Deer Hunting thread.

I've had a shitty year of deer hunting.

TLDR; shot two, didn’t find either.

Firearms season, I shot a decent 6 or 8 point (didn't get a chance to see if he had brow tines). Found the blood trail and tracked it for ~1000 feet (Google measuring). He made it to a field road and was in decent enough shape to bolt quick enough to make the ever decreasing blood trail untraceable. Given the fact I know what direction he ran, and I heard shooting from that direction not too long after I took my shot, I'm hoping the other guys finished what I started and got a nice deer.

So, yesterday, archery hunting out of a box stand one of the other hunters put up on my uncle’s property, I finally get a deer standing where I can shoot it. The box stand is rectangular, I can only get drawn the long way in the stand. It’s pretty tight in there with a bow, even though when I talked to the guy that put it up, he described it as a “bow set”. Great for a bow except the size of the box. Now, the deer wasn’t anything to write home about, ok body size, 4 point. About the smallest I would bother taking. I wanted meat in the freezer.

Gets to be go time, I draw, he hears it and stops. Perfect placement, 25-30 yards, broad side. I send the arrow, and get a nice loud “whack”. Not the whack of an arrow hitting a deer though. The whack of my bow limbs hitting the stand. SH!T. The deer runs 10 yards or so and stops to look back. I slowly start going for my quiver that I took off the bow due to the close quarters. He runs another 5 or so to the fence line and is looking back by the time I’ve got an arrow in my hand. Put it in the bow and he’s over 50 yards away. It’s dark, I figure I missed him and decided not to try for follow up shot. I did hit him, found the blood while looking for the arrow. Give it about 45 minutes before I start tracking. Follow the trail, starts out easy and then starts dying off. Get to the point where the only trace we can find is some blood that must be on his hoof. The last couple specs we found where smaller the the letter “I” you are reading on this screen. Follow the hoof tracks until they disappear into the other fresh tracks. Follow the trails and tracks until we have no clue or idea where heck we are. Haven’t seen blood in more than who knows how many yards. Give up. Drive 2 hours home through thick freezing fog.