View Single Post
Old 01-19-2017   #128
Halon
Pewp Champion

Drives: Teh Bean
Send a message via AIM to Halon
Re: Borg Warner Turbos

Been a long time since I wrote anything in here, but figured it's worth an update.

Since the launch of the EFR line, BW has also now launched their SX-E line. The SX was their off the shelf standard turbo offerings, and what many came to know as the Sxxx series turbos (i.e. S256, S362, S366, etc). The SX-E (SX Enhanced) is their new standard turbo line. It builds off the SX line and the EFR line. They used a lot of the R&D that went into the EFR compressor wheels, and applied them to the new comp wheels for the SX-E turbos. The SX-E also got a totally new center section with a new bearing design (still journal). It also got updated compressor covers that are supposed to be more optimized than the SX line. They also got new turbine wheels (inconel). The SX exhaust housings still work, so the SX-E turbos are sold as super-cores (no exhaust housing) as they will swap right into your existing housing for anyone upgrading their SX turbos. So in a nutshell, they're basically a half breed of an SX and an EFR. And the best part, they are still extremely affordable! And anyone happy with the old SX turbos (which are still a great turbo), they are an even better value now that they sell for less. See this link below, you can see how affordable these SX-E's are ($700 price range from Jegs for a Super-Core, add $150 for a turbine housing and you're still under $1000).

http://www.jegs.com/p/BorgWarner/Bor...40656/10002/-1

Here's a little tick list of the improvements of the SX-E over the SX
- New improved billet compressor wheels (based off EFR compressor wheels)
- New compressor cover that was supposedly more optimized.
- New center section (new 360* bearing design over old 270*) which I've 'heard' has drastically improved their responsiveness
- New improved turbine design.
- Turbine Housings remain the same from the SX line.
- Pre machined spot for comp wheel speed sensor.

So I've been looking at these for several months, talking back n forth with Geoff from Full Race more than he probably wished to. Today I made 'a mistake' lol. I picked up one of the 8776 turbos from them (6467 in PTE speak).

My goal is to have the car running this spring. And sometime eventually swap this turbo on and try my best to do a before and after dyno. Talking with Geoff, we're predicting very similar spool, but with much better top end. How much who knows, but I wouldn't be surprised to see almost 100hp more. Limiting factor for me though might be my .91 Exhaust housing, may prove to be a bit of a choke on this turbo, but we'll see.

SX

SX-E
2006 Bayliner 195 - Carbed 5.0 Top Speed Test

Last edited by Halon; 01-19-2017 at 04:13 PM..
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote