View Single Post
Old 11-21-2006   #33
mdost03

Sonic Champion!
Drives: VA STI
Re: big bore kit for 420a

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-pride View Post
Not the 12's unless the turbo kit comes with fuel upgrades(fuel pump, bigger injectors, fuel pressure regulator and some sort of AFC not including the missing link). Than there is the exhaust system you will be needing because the stock exhuast is restictive. Than there is tuning. Good price on the motor build but I don't think you can get a fully built 420a for that price. Maybe a short block. So, honestly how much have you put into you 420a-T to get 214hp and what are your mods.
Have you got a chance to run a slightly moded 4g63t? If not would you like to run one?
You can include those costs with the turbo kit. Walbro 255 is about 100, SFMU (which you can tune with basically) for about 200-300, injectors (He recently picked up some Accel 30lb injectors for $40) are about 200 brand new if you can find a deal. Missing Link or FCD is roughly 20-40. Can pick up a Tsudo 3" exhaust for 200-300 shipped (basically Apexi N1, but better). Motor build all you need is lower compression forged pistons and some rods and you are in business. It has been proven to handle 15+ psi with just those. You can get those for around 1000 and if you install them yourself, you can save some money there.

Yes we have run a slightly modded GS-T. His brother is running 15 psi and we can both beat him. You all say you aren't talking down the 420a, but really you are. I agree that the 4G63 is a good engine, great engine actually. It has been proven time and time again to take beatings and come back for more. People assume the 420a has no potential though because it originally is a NT engine and made by Dodge/Chrysler. If me personally had about 5-6 grand and I could either get a RS/GS or GST, I would definitely go with an RS/GS. Besides the fact that DSMCrazy's bro has had numerous problems with his GST and my cousin as well just had his GST (with brand new rebuilt 6 bolt, brand new EVO3 16g, etc.) shit the bed, I really don't want to take my chances. Also, you can't really find a GST for under that price that is in good condition as you can with the RS/GS. If you can, that soaks up most of your cash because it will probably be right around that price. You can find many RS/GS's around 2-3 grand nowadays if you look hard enough, I know you can down here easily. That leaves you with that much more to spend on upgrades and maintenance if need be.

Sorry I typed so much, just trying to get my point and views across to everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blesi660r View Post
welcome to the site! thanks for the info! how much boost can the block hold thats what i am woundering the most, forged internals are in the very near future along with some crane cams i know they can handel tons of boost but will my block beable to!
You can find most of these answers by visiting 2gnt.com and DSMTuners in the 420a section. Do a little researching and you will find more info than you can stomach haha. These are both great resources for info about our cars. Make an effort to do a little searching before you post though. Most of the guys on there are very knowledgeable and have probably heard your questions a million times and get a little aggitated when they have to keep repeating themselves.

Last edited by mdost03; 11-21-2006 at 09:52 PM..